New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North West USA > Oregon HomeBrew Forum > Heading to Portland,Oregon in August.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #11
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I too, think I will be headed to Portland, Oregon in August. HAve you come up with a solid plan? Found any sweet specifics? Im coming from the east coast, and this will be my first west coast trip. Im planning it for my 30th birthday, and what better way than on a brewery tour de force? I've heard good things about Bend, as well but it is a sollid 4 hour drive.

Kegged - Robust Porter
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, Half-wit (100%Brett), Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, coffee porter, Rice Saison, Apple Cider
Primary - Blueberry Blonde, Amber Ale

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #12
alexdagrate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
I too, think I will be headed to Portland, Oregon in August. HAve you come up with a solid plan? Found any sweet specifics? Im coming from the east coast, and this will be my first west coast trip. Im planning it for my 30th birthday, and what better way than on a brewery tour de force? I've heard good things about Bend, as well but it is a sollid 4 hour drive.
There are several brewery tours you can take. My bachelor party actually involved a nice "limo" service in a sprinter van shuttling us from brewpub to brewpub. Also, Portland has a "Distillery Row" where you can tour locally made spirits, which are also pretty damn delightful.

Bend is a fantastic town, but I wouldn't really recommend it as a side-trip to Portland (Hood River and Stevenson in the Columbia Gorge due east of Portland, maybe, for Full Sail, Double Mountain, Walking Man, and some sweet Windsurfing/Kiteboarding).

Instead, have fun in Portland and next time you come out to Oregon, plan a specific trip to Bend. See if one of your favorite bands is playing there or come for an outdoor athletic event.

Also, Eugene (due south of Portland) is a pretty cool town and getting cooler. Ninkasi and Hop Valley are both in that area and going to an Oregon Ducks game is lots of fun.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #13
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdagrate

There are several brewery tours you can take. My bachelor party actually involved a nice "limo" service in a sprinter van shuttling us from brewpub to brewpub. Also, Portland has a "Distillery Row" where you can tour locally made spirits, which are also pretty damn delightful.

Bend is a fantastic town, but I wouldn't really recommend it as a side-trip to Portland (Hood River and Stevenson in the Columbia Gorge due east of Portland, maybe, for Full Sail, Double Mountain, Walking Man, and some sweet Windsurfing/Kiteboarding).

Instead, have fun in Portland and next time you come out to Oregon, plan a specific trip to Bend. See if one of your favorite bands is playing there or come for an outdoor athletic event.

Also, Eugene (due south of Portland) is a pretty cool town and getting cooler. Ninkasi and Hop Valley are both in that area and going to an Oregon Ducks game is lots of fun.
If you're going to take a side trip from Portland, You gotta get up to the coast and come to Astoria. Astoria Brewing Company, Fort George Brewery are great! There's a Rogue public house right on the water of the Columbia River too. Worth the drive!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 AM   #14
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc318 View Post
If you're going to take a side trip from Portland, You gotta get up to the coast and come to Astoria. Astoria Brewing Company, Fort George Brewery are great! There's a Rogue public house right on the water of the Columbia River too. Worth the drive!
That is a good point. I would take a side trip to Astoria and the beaches over a side-trip to Bend. Cape Disappointment park across the Columbia in Washington State is also beautiful and has a great Lewis & Clark exhibit.

Also, Fort George Brewery sells its 7.5% ABV IPA and its 8.5% ABV Stout in 16 oz Tallboy cans, perfect for the beach or hiking the mountain!

Just beware, although Portland, Eugene, and Bend are all VERY bike-friendly towns with lots of beer, Bicycling Under the Influence is equivalent to Driving Under the Influence under the law. So if you get over a .08%, WALK, don't ride!

Old 07-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Sign up for Groupon with your city set to Portland. There are beer tour deals all the time. There's one now

http://www.groupon.com/deals/portland-rose-pedals-pedicab-1?utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=552179&utm_source=rv s

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
DanH
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 53 Posts

Definitely do not miss Bridgeport or Rogue.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Definitely check out some of the places being mentioned but don't listen to all the don't go to McMenamins people. Yes, you can get better beer at lots of places in Portland, but most of McMenamins beer is still decent and they have some really different establishments. Check out their website - my wife and I have stayed at the Edgefield many times even though we only live about 20 minutes from it.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #18
Ailstock
Recipes 

+1 Hair of The Dog
Thats my favorite brewery. Great food, and great strong ales.
Alameda Brewing is a good place as well.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #19
dino821235
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well guys it Looks like its almost time to hit the Road...Leaving on Monday and headed to spokane first.....then off to Seattle,down the Oregon coast and into Portland......I do believe the Beerfest is going on there from the 26 to 29th so will be checking that out.Will be on Motorcycle so if anyone in any of those areas as anygood sites to see,roads to ride and great food and beer joints.....please let me know!.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Olympia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino821235 View Post
Well guys it Looks like its almost time to hit the Road...Leaving on Monday and headed to spokane first.....then off to Seattle,down the Oregon coast and into Portland......I do believe the Beerfest is going on there from the 26 to 29th so will be checking that out.Will be on Motorcycle so if anyone in any of those areas as anygood sites to see,roads to ride and great food and beer joints.....please let me know!.
Take a break and stretch your legs between Seattle and Portland in Olympia. Go to the Eastside Club Tavern. Try to limit yourself to just one of their 40 taps.

Ride safe!

Become a fan of CDA on Facebook.

Quick Reply