Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North West USA > Washington HomeBrew Forum > Why no group buys?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #21
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer
how much is a 50 lb sack from Larry's in Kent?
Depends on the grain. I paid about $50 on the low end and about $75 for the most expensive stuff. You basically just eliminate shipping costs compared to online.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
mendozer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

$1/lb for 2 row? When i lived in Edmonds i'd drive down to Bob's in the U district. Their domestic 2-row is .89c/lb. i figured a big bag would be at least 70c/lb. that's a shocker

Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #23
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer
$1/lb for 2 row? When i lived in Edmonds i'd drive down to Bob's in the U district. Their domestic 2-row is .89c/lb. i figured a big bag would be at least 70c/lb. that's a shocker
Was this 10 years ago? I live 5 minutes from Bob's Homebrew and it's closer to $2/lb for much of anything. That's if they even have it -- they're usually out of stock or very low, in my experience. I don't know exact prices off the top of my head but when I did the math I was saving almost 50% overall by driving to Kent. Does Bob even sell 50lb bags?

Larry's has the prices on their web site and they seem to have more stuff in stock in the warehouse (the place is huge!): http://www.larrysbrewsupply.com/catalog_c290104.html

Mountain Homebrew in Kirkland sells US 2-row for $55 for 50lbs (http://www.mountainhomebrew.com/grains.aspx?page=3).

Cellar Homebrew in north Seattle sells US 2-row for $1.34/lb: http://www.cellar-homebrew.com/store...21-L-p-72.html

Sound Homebrew in Georgetown sells it for $1/lb: http://www.soundhomebrew.com/2-row-brewers-malt-50-lb/

I doubt Bob is 10-30% cheaper than every other Seattle homebrew shop. If he is, he's doing a good job keeping it a secret because his web site doesn't show anything about his inventory.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #24
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

hmm. i made a batch last month and i swear the local malt was .89. the others like crystal were i think 1.80-1.90ish. i could be wrong, i just know it's cheap compared to my hometown LHBS

Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #25
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

its 44.50 for $50 at Larry's. That comes out to .89 before tax. Maybe that's what i'm thinking of?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #26
DARKWING1965
Recipes 

Just Talk to a a brewery here in Kennewick.(he has an add on Craigs list) I Live in Kennewick and work in Anacortes. If we make a bulk buy it would be $35.00 for a 50LBS bag. Now i make the trip from Tri Cities to Anacortes twice a month and I could do the pick up . That price is for a half pallet, 20 bags. He said he can get other grains as well Crystal, Otter ect. with the order just let him know in advance. I would be willing to make the haul if there was enough intrestIi can also stop at Hops Direct too on the way through in Yakama
OH! by the way im new to the site Iv just been Lurcking LOL
Darrell

Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #27
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i'd take a bag of pale for sure. I'd also split some crystal 40/60/80 with someone.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
Fractional
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm down for a couple of bags. hit me up if there is one

Old 12-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #29
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Same here at least one bag for sure of 2row

Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #30
Clearcut23
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I found a guy on CL from Tacoma I think? Little over a year ago that was tired of over paying for grains at homebrew stores so he was setting up a direct buy from the malter or whoever. Anyways it was $30 for a 50 lb bag of two row. Paid in advance along with a bunch of other people. A few weeks went by an he said the local homebrew stores in the area caught wind of it and complained to the malters or something and got the guys license pulled? Anyways we all got our money back as a result. I built a grain mill and everything. Now that I'm out of an apartment and in a house with a garage I am very interested in buying in bulk and brewing whenever I feel like.

Quick Reply