New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North West USA > Washington HomeBrew Forum > Trying to start Up a 1bbl NanoBrewery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #21
RandomBeerGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Thought for you...save a few extra $$$$ over a little time and go a little larger. You will end up working yourself to death on a 1BBL system, unless, unless this is just a hobby business and its just for fun. Doesn't have to be huge, a 3 BBL system is not going to cost 3x the investment ( well it may be) but it will cut your labor by much more than 3x. Just a thought..
Good luck! I want to see this come together.

Keep us posted!
Cheers
Jay
Thank you I wish I change the thread name but we are going with either a 5BBL or 7BBL I've read tons and tons about breweries starting with 1bbl and have to pretty much upgrade right a way. I think with a 5bbl or 7bbl should be a good starting point. The 1 bbl was before the investor stepped into the game.

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #22
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBeerGuy View Post
Thank you I wish I change the thread name but we are going with either a 5BBL or 7BBL I've read tons and tons about breweries starting with 1bbl and have to pretty much upgrade right a way. I think with a 5bbl or 7bbl should be a good starting point. The 1 bbl was before the investor stepped into the game.
Very smart move!

Where are you looking for equipment?

Keep us posted.....

Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Right now im looking at glacier tanks because so far they are cheaper than most. I want to get all my equipment from one vendor.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #24
tunder2
Recipes 

Quote:
Right now im looking at glacier tanks because so far they are cheaper than most. I want to get all my equipment from one vendor.
Any updates so far?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #25
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Sorry I havent been on the threads but I have some good/bad news. Good news is investor is game for the long haul. Bad news the brewery is on hold (life got in the way) It just might take longer than expected to get it off the ground. We had the 10,000 sq facility all picked out but we decided to keep looking and use the space for our other project (non brewery related). We are hoping to get things back on track towards the end of the year after our other project takes off.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:50 AM   #26
JWBC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thats the one bad thing about life it always seems to throw something in the mix to screw everything else up. Defiantly keep updating us, I am on the east side of the state and possibly thinking about starting a nano.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #27
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Keep us posted. It will come together when the time is right...

Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #28
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
You might look at Stout Tanks, I just picked up a custom 1/2bbl system I had them build. They were excellent with communication and dealing with all my questions and changes I was making especially given it is such a small order for them. You also get the advantage of having competing quotes and get to hear why their equipment is better than the other guys.

As a side note, everything I have ever heard is that a 7bbl is about the minimum size to be profitable when you dealing with overhead such as leased space.

As for the original question, which I know is no longer relevant at the moment, but my understanding is that you can have a brewery at home so long as it is in a detached building. This has to do with WA state law, not federal, all they care about is that you have your tax bond up and paperwork completed. If you ever want more info on this, go talk to Eric down at Puyallup River Brewing, he has a 1.5bbl system at his house...he is usually too busy to chat too long, but if you sit at the bar when its slow and order a few beers he is happy to give you a little insight.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #29
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
You might look at Stout Tanks, I just picked up a custom 1/2bbl system I had them build. They were excellent with communication and dealing with all my questions and changes I was making especially given it is such a small order for them. You also get the advantage of having competing quotes and get to hear why their equipment is better than the other guys.

As a side note, everything I have ever heard is that a 7bbl is about the minimum size to be profitable when you dealing with overhead such as leased space.

As for the original question, which I know is no longer relevant at the moment, but my understanding is that you can have a brewery at home so long as it is in a detached building. This has to do with WA state law, not federal, all they care about is that you have your tax bond up and paperwork completed. If you ever want more info on this, go talk to Eric down at Puyallup River Brewing, he has a 1.5bbl system at his house...he is usually too busy to chat too long, but if you sit at the bar when its slow and order a few beers he is happy to give you a little insight.
I tried to contacting them before I started doing my own research and never heard back. Thank you for the info and Ill do some digging around my dad has a shop in tacoma that they are just storing things in I never until now had an idea to ask if I can turn it into a small brewery if they say yes then im back in the game.

Quick Reply