Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North West USA > Washington HomeBrew Forum > Trying to start Up a 1bbl NanoBrewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Im_Lars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBeerGuy View Post
No, ours is in Tacoma
What part of Tacoma? I checked into the business license part of a brewery and found in the state of Washington it has to be a separate from a home. Good luck and if you need any help send me a message. I have been in business in Tacoma for 20 years (not a brewery) but I can try to answer any business question you have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
itshanney
Recipes 

I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is: Why do you want to open a nanobrewery? Are you wanting to just try out larger, more commercial equipment? Are you wanting to actually sell your beer? Do you have plans to give up your day job and open a brewery permanently?

If you want to just try out the larger equipment, find a brewery in your area and volunteer. They will, usually, take free labor that's knowledgable about brewing.

If you want to sell your beer, why? There's no reason why you should want to sell your beer unless you want to go commercial.

If you want to start the brewery and have this be your full career, I'm going to tell you to don't do it. Everybody will tell you to go after your dreams, but I'm going to be the guy to tell you to not do it. Your job right now is to prove me wrong. If you have a very comfortable day job where you can do this on the side and you want this as a corporation with separate liabilities, I actually wouldn't oppose this. But in general, you need to have about $50-100K you don't mind burning. You will need $50-100K for the initial build out. You will also need that much as a good cushion for a yearly cash flow. Thus, you need $200-300K+ in the bank to last you for two to three years or so. This all has to be cash that you and your significant other don't mind you burning over the coming years.

If you don't have this type of cash or can't find investors to give it to you, then just stick with home brewing. This is your first test of proving me wrong. If you have a gigantic cushion of money, then you've passed the first hurdle. If you're going to nickel and dime this, then stick with home brewing.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshanney View Post
I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is: Why do you want to open a nanobrewery? Are you wanting to just try out larger, more commercial equipment? Are you wanting to actually sell your beer? Do you have plans to give up your day job and open a brewery permanently?

If you want to just try out the larger equipment, find a brewery in your area and volunteer. They will, usually, take free labor that's knowledgable about brewing.

If you want to sell your beer, why? There's no reason why you should want to sell your beer unless you want to go commercial.

If you want to start the brewery and have this be your full career, I'm going to tell you to don't do it. Everybody will tell you to go after your dreams, but I'm going to be the guy to tell you to not do it. Your job right now is to prove me wrong. If you have a very comfortable day job where you can do this on the side and you want this as a corporation with separate liabilities, I actually wouldn't oppose this. But in general, you need to have about $50-100K you don't mind burning. You will need $50-100K for the initial build out. You will also need that much as a good cushion for a yearly cash flow. Thus, you need $200-300K+ in the bank to last you for two to three years or so. This all has to be cash that you and your significant other don't mind you burning over the coming years.

If you don't have this type of cash or can't find investors to give it to you, then just stick with home brewing. This is your first test of proving me wrong. If you have a gigantic cushion of money, then you've passed the first hurdle. If you're going to nickel and dime this, then stick with home brewing.
Silly questions you have, First if Im planning on building a brewery Im pretty sure I want to sell my brew for profit. Second I have an investor already so the build and buying will be cheaper than doing it solo. Thirdly Im building a nano not full scale where my batch sizes will be around 1 bbl.. Fourthly I have a place to sell my product already in the works. I am doing my homework with license's and other government things like taxes, logs, ect. I hope you understand now on why I'm doing this. Are you also trying to open a nano in my area and that's why you asked me these silly questions? If so RDWHAHB

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
itshanney
Recipes 

Quote:
Silly questions you have, First if Im planning on building a brewery Im pretty sure I want to sell my brew for profit. Second I have an investor already so the build and buying will be cheaper than doing it solo. Thirdly Im building a nano not full scale where my batch sizes will be around 1 bbl.. Fourthly I have a place to sell my product already in the works. I am doing my homework with license's and other government things like taxes, logs, ect. I hope you understand now on why I'm doing this. Are you also trying to open a nano in my area and that's why you asked me these silly questions? If so RDWHAHB
Congratulations on investors and going pro. No, I'm not going pro nor am I in the planning stages. The questions aren't really silly. It's more of a thought exercise for those people who post threads that ask about going pro but have no real ability to follow through with it. You have passed the first hurdles. Even gathering investors is huge. Congrats.

Is your investor actually wanting to make a return on their investment or is this just a cool project that they're willing to give you money for? If it's the latter, you found the perfect investor

If it's the former, you need to go bigger than a nano brewery. Anything less than say about 7-10bbl will limit you in the very beginning. You will always be brewing at capacity and will always be brewing more than you ever want to brew to keep up with demand. Doing the math, you just can't easily keep up with demand on a nano brewery. So if you have investors and have the money, go bigger. You will not regret it.

Do you have a target opening date? I look forward to trying your beer!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Update: Meeting with the investor next week to discuss a possible location. We have found a 10,000 sq ft warehouse near downtown Tacoma that looks very promising needs a little touch up no major worries.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
jgerardy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Update: Meeting with the investor next week to discuss a possible location. We have found a 10,000 sq ft warehouse near downtown Tacoma that looks very promising needs a little touch up no major worries.
How's the progress? I'm in the mid stages of building out a 1 BBL brewery right now. Your 10,000 sq ft space would be a dream for me. I'm doing it on 1/10 that amount of space. It is certainly limiting, but limitations make you think about things in new ways.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

With 10,000' you'll have plenty of growth room too. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
cdubbaya
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Congrats on going pro!

I have a question for you - how did you choose your real estate? We own a building that has space on the first floor for a brewpub, but we don't know how to find potential new breweries who are looking for space. Can you speak a bit about your process? Was there a real estate agent involved? Did you just look in classifieds?

Thanks, congrats again!

Cheers!

Honey Double IPA

Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubbaya View Post
Congrats on going pro!

I have a question for you - how did you choose your real estate? We own a building that has space on the first floor for a brewpub, but we don't know how to find potential new breweries who are looking for space. Can you speak a bit about your process? Was there a real estate agent involved? Did you just look in classifieds?

Thanks, congrats again!

Cheers!
It just kinda happened me and my investor opened a smaller business down the road from where we are going to build the brewery. We were working late and we heard a noise in the back alley so we ran out to check what was going on and we ran into a elderly lady. We explained why we ran to the alley she had questions about our current business. Long story short she owns 3 warehouses up the hill and said if we did some work on one of the warehouses that we could use the empty one for 2 years before we lease it. So we are jumping on it before she finds someone else. Its huge and we are very excited. At the moment we are speaking with the city about any regulations regarding the space and requirements needed to build a brewery ect.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 332 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Thought for you...save a few extra $$$$ over a little time and go a little larger. You will end up working yourself to death on a 1BBL system, unless, unless this is just a hobby business and its just for fun. Doesn't have to be huge, a 3 BBL system is not going to cost 3x the investment ( well it may be) but it will cut your labor by much more than 3x. Just a thought..
Good luck! I want to see this come together.

Keep us posted!
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Quick Reply