Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North West USA > Washington HomeBrew Forum > Seattle Area homebrew club?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
Laurel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Seattle Area homebrew club?

There are about 5 in the area that I've found online but only a select few even have websites. I'd like to be able to go to meetings and interact with real brewing people locally but I'm not sure how to gather information regarding these clubs or what ones are "the best." Does anyone have any suggestions? Are you a member? Do you want to help me do my first AG beer in a few weeks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm not familiar with any of the Seattle clubs. I honestly haven't been to a club meeting at my local club over here either even though I get their newsletter every month.

Good luck on your first AG Laurel, seriously it's pretty damn simple.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
shmevinator
Recipes 

I can't really offer any helpful advice, because I'm also searching for a homebrew club. I'm probably going to check out the North Seattle Homebrewers because I've met a few folks from that club and it's the closest to me geographically.

They also seem like they are pretty active on their email group list, which is a good sign.

Also, if you haven't brewed your first all grain yet, I could help if you need it.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've met people from most of the clubs over there. Some of the clubs are very structured and organized and some are more laid back. I'd just find the one closest to you and see how that goes.

WAHA has a directory of all the clubs in the state and a google map of where they are located

Washington Homebrewers Association - Homebrew Clubs

Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Keff
Recipes 

Has anyone here made it to some meetings? Was thinking about going to the North Seattle Home brew Club meeting, but there isn't much info about what they do or how they go about with the meetings. Just wanna hear about how clubs interact and how the meetings go. North Seattle or Beer Renegades are the two I was thinking about. I would also like to watch an All grain brew day before moving up into it.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
ReeseAllen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I live in North Seattle and am also very interested in getting together with other local brewers. As far as I can tell, whatever local clubs do exist are not terribly active and don't have a very good presence online.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #7
shmevinator
Recipes 

I've gone to a few of their meetings. It's a very laid back, good group of folks. They do meet once a month, usually the first Wednesday. This month it is the 13th. Their meetings basically consist of sampling the homebrews and discussing them, followed by the usual chit chat.

They don't have a website, but rather a yahoo group. You can read the posts/join the club here:

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/se...&sec=dir&slk=3

Old 01-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 on the WAHA site. You can at least read about all the clubs and get contact info. http://www.wahomebrewers.org/joomla/...d=18&Itemid=74
As far as I could tell, two of the more structured in the area are GEBL and Cascade Brewers Guild.

I did a bit of research over the summer and I just recently joined GEBL (Greater Everett Brewers League) I joined them based primarily on two criteria. The first was I went on a club trip with them to the Leavenworth Oktoberfest and I had a great time and really liked the members I met. The second was I looked at the state fair results and they were the dominant ribbon winning presence last year. I was looking for a club that had a healthy competitive structure as I thought that would help drive a continuous improvement in my own brewing. As to a better web site for GEBL, there is a motion before the club now to research cost and tecnical requirements to maintain their own web page, and they plan to host a competition sometime this year. They meet the second Thursday of the month in Everett and their next meeting is coming up on Thurs Jan 14.

I have also heard good things about the North Seattle Brewers, and Brew (Beer Renegades of Everett) although both of those clubs are I believe smaller in size and less structured. I do subscribe to the North Seattle Brewers Yahoo page and they seem to be decent people based on the postings and get togethers.

The best advice is to get to a couple of the meetings from the clubs referenced on the WAHA link (they are free to attend for visitors) and get a feel for the people and the clubs and see where you are comfortable.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 01-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
Keff
Recipes 

Good advice. Thanks all. I stumbled upon north seattle homebrew's facebook page. They listed an address and time for their upcoming meeting. I think I'm going to try and make it out since its really close to me in shoreline. Might try brew next month, I am more laid back and trying to get a handle on brewing and tasting.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #10
explosivebeer
Recipes 

I haven't come across this thread until now but there are a lot of great clubs around. It's not always easy to find information on which clubs are located where, what kind of membership they have, if they are technical homebrew geeks, or just beer-loving casual homebrewers, what their meetings are like, etc. The WAHA site has a lot of great information but may need to a description on the clubs so people can find which one would work best for them. I'm sure we can get that remedied sometime soon. It would be great to have a stronger network of local homebrewers, whether they're affiliated with a club or not.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply