Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North West USA > Washington HomeBrew Forum > NHC 2012 SEATTLE - Almost Sold out after 24 hrs | SOLD OUT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #31
SPLASTiK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring_Chicken View Post
Is there any other way to get tickets? Will any more open up, or will people be selling the ones they don't use? I had no idea it would go so quick and it's in my back yard this year.
There's a waiting list you can sign up for on the conference website. The AHA expects quite a few will probably drop out but they probably won't be able to accommodate everyone.

They didn't expect this much growth, the hotels have to be booked far in advance and this one was locked in around the time of the Minneapolis conference and has 20% more capacity than that conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I think people get excited about it and buy up tickets even if they aren't sure they can go. What is the cancellation policy on the event?
They have until March 31 to get a refund.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #32
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I was planning to go, but was really disappointed it was actually in Bellevue and not Seattle. Poor choice, IMO.

Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #33
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard
I was planning to go, but was really disappointed it was actually in Bellevue and not Seattle. Poor choice, IMO.
Meh, it's not like there's much time to really go anywhere. You're pretty much busy the whole time except for very short meal breaks.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #34
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard View Post
The NHC takes bids for the conference center and the hotel. They are looking for a good price on the conference center, and also a reasonable hotel rate for attending members. Bellevue obviously beat out the Seattle convention center.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. There has been much discussion among the larger local beer clubs here and WAHA (Washington Homebrewers Association) We will make sure there are events planned in Seattle and elsewhere that are documented, mapped, and will likely have transportation to.

As to the tickets going so quickly, that is just a symptom of the growing popularity, as well as the hotbed of homebrewers in the Portland and Seattle area. It is a shame, as I'd love everyone to attend who wants to, but look on the bright side. At least ticket master isn't running it!

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 02-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #35
blizzard
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLASTiK View Post
Meh, it's not like there's much time to really go anywhere. You're pretty much busy the whole time except for very short meal breaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
The NHC takes bids for the conference center and the hotel. They are looking for a good price on the conference center, and also a reasonable hotel rate for attending members. Bellevue obviously beat out the Seattle convention center.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. There has been much discussion among the larger local beer clubs here and WAHA (Washington Homebrewers Association) We will make sure there are events planned in Seattle and elsewhere that are documented, mapped, and will likely have transportation to.

As to the tickets going so quickly, that is just a symptom of the growing popularity, as well as the hotbed of homebrewers in the Portland and Seattle area. It is a shame, as I'd love everyone to attend who wants to, but look on the bright side. At least ticket master isn't running it!
I understand that it's a busy event and the AHA wants to do it for a reasonable price. But, if the location doesn't matter, they could have it in BFE rather than a major city, and save a ton of cash. If location (and the beer scene) really doesn't matter, then why bother with Seattle, or San Diego, or any place that people would want to actually visit? Bellevue is a nice enough place and they are aggressively building and marketing themselves where they can, but it isn't the beer Mecca that Seattle is. And combining an event that involves drinking with a drive across the lake doesn't seem too smart. But mostly, I'm just disappointed to hear the conference would be in Seattle and then find out it isn't.

Having said that, thanks to WAHA for getting some events in place. Hopefully people can enjoy the East Side and Seattle.

Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

Old 02-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #36
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLASTiK View Post
There's a waiting list you can sign up for on the conference website. The AHA expects quite a few will probably drop out but they probably won't be able to accommodate everyone.

They didn't expect this much growth, the hotels have to be booked far in advance and this one was locked in around the time of the Minneapolis conference and has 20% more capacity than that conference.

They have until March 31 to get a refund.
For Oakland I had to cancel well after the last date for a refund. There were still people on the waiting list and I still got a refund.

So my guess is that despite the published policy, there will be full refunds as long as there is a waiting list.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #37
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I understand that it's a busy event and the AHA wants to do it for a reasonable price. But, if the location doesn't matter, they could have it in BFE rather than a major city, and save a ton of cash. If location (and the beer scene) really doesn't matter, then why bother with Seattle, or San Diego, or any place that people would want to actually visit? Bellevue is a nice enough place and they are aggressively building and marketing themselves where they can, but it isn't the beer Mecca that Seattle is. And combining an event that involves drinking with a drive across the lake doesn't seem too smart. But mostly, I'm just disappointed to hear the conference would be in Seattle and then find out it isn't.

Having said that, thanks to WAHA for getting some events in place. Hopefully people can enjoy the East Side and Seattle.
Because no one in BFE puts together a conference bid. I'm guessing that it takes about 150 volunteers to put on the conference and 25 full-time dedicated people working throughout the year. I'm giving up about two evenings a week running my club, I can't even imagine the legwork for a conference.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #38
SPLASTiK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I understand that it's a busy event and the AHA wants to do it for a reasonable price. But, if the location doesn't matter, they could have it in BFE rather than a major city, and save a ton of cash.

If location (and the beer scene) really doesn't matter, then why bother with Seattle, or San Diego, or any place that people would want to actually visit?
Ton of cash saved on expenses for the AHA... but will people be able to make it out to BFE? It's only been the past few of these that they've actually begun to break even through explosive membership growth. The AHA tries to strike a balance between affordability and ease to get there since a majority are from out of town. And does BFE have a club that could even put the event on? That's a major undertaking... There's events with similar amounts of people attending at the convention center downtown that cost 2-3x the full conference package and discounted hotel rates are $100 more per night on top of it.

I don't really think the locations/beer scene matters much though. The event is more about showcasing homebrewing than it is craft beer and you get your fix of tasting beer from the region at Pro-Brewers Night. It's more about the club being able to handle such a large event and they generally just happen to be near a major city with a good beer scene because if there's a good beer scene there's typically a thriving homebrew scene that can pull it off.

I don't know, I understand wanting to explore the city but the only time you really have to explore the city, assuming you're there to do the conference stuff like most people (attend the presentations and the events each night), are events before and after the conference.

If you think Bellevue is bad... look at where http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Sheraton+Bloomington+Hotel&ll=44.862941,-93.352225&spn=0.010631,0.026157&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Sheraton+Bloomington+Hotel&hnear=Sheraton+Bloomington+Hotel&cid=0,0,9842710101815403398&t=m&z=16. At least in Bellevue I'll be able to grab a decent lunch and not have to resort to Subway or TGI Fridays.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #39
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:

Did you go to the one last year in San Diego? It wasn't in San Diego per se, either. But there were plenty of opportunities throughout the conference to head downtown and get your beer geek fix. With bus service provided, I should add.

Seattle is no less inaccessible from Bellvue as the strip in San Diego was at last year's conference. It is a friggin' 15 minute bus ride.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #40
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Damn, this is in my area and I had no idea...

Quick Reply