Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North West USA > Alaska HomeBrew Forum > Alaska trip
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 862
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Alaska trip

Well, the wife and I have a wedding to go to in Alaska, and, given the price of air travel, we figure we might as well continue to go broke and stay in Alaska for 10 days.

We'll be in Anchorage, and will likely be a lot of time on the Kenai Peninsula. We may head up to Denali as well.

What are beer places to skip, and must see beer places?

I found this helpful list- http://beerme.com/region.php?60.

Thanks!

__________________
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)
jamesnsw is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,769
Liked 4909 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Default

I really like Humpy's! That was fun, with good halibut tacos and good beer.

There's another brewpub in Anchorage that I liked, but I can remember the name of it at the moment. The food was $$$$$$$ though!

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Leesburg, Virginia
Posts: 3,172
Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

We did an Alaskan cruise followed up with an RV trip through Kenai a few years back, and had a great time. Here are three breweries that we visited in the Anchorage/Kenai area:

Moose's Tooth, Anchorage - definitely go, great food, great beer
Kassik's Brewery, Kenai - so so, if you happen to be there and have time
Homer Brewing Company - if you make it that far down, definitely go

The two best breweries we hit on that trip were off the cruise ship: Alaskan Brewing Company in Juneau and Haines Brewing Company. Most people have heard of ABC, especially their smoked porter, which I drank quite a bit of while at their brewery. Haines was the best one we went to, small shop, actually located in the set that was built for the move White Fang. Great guys there, great beers. Wife and I ended up spending virtually the entire day in Haines at the brewing company.

__________________
usfmikeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 AM   #4
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Leesburg, Virginia
Posts: 3,172
Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

BTW, I very rarely buy clothing from any brewery. Haines was good enough that I bought a ballcap, and still wear it every once in a while.

__________________
usfmikeb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
JoeyChopps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: warner robins, ga
Posts: 1,401
Liked 278 Times on 188 Posts

Default

I lived in anchorage for 4 years and can tell u to avoid koots that place is a stupid night club with super violent bouncers they have killed a few people (no joke there have been like 2 or 3 people die there by the bouncers) the moose tooth and the bears tooth are awesome and humpys is cool and a place called Darwins theory is a cool dive bar with good beer while u are there u have to get a duck fart its a shot that is huge in AK where are u staying ?

__________________
JoeyChopps is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 862
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I really like Humpy's! That was fun, with good halibut tacos and good beer.

There's another brewpub in Anchorage that I liked, but I can remember the name of it at the moment. The food was $$$$$$$ though!
Thanks! Humpy's on the list.
__________________
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)
jamesnsw is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 862
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
We did an Alaskan cruise followed up with an RV trip through Kenai a few years back, and had a great time. Here are three breweries that we visited in the Anchorage/Kenai area:

Moose's Tooth, Anchorage - definitely go, great food, great beer
Kassik's Brewery, Kenai - so so, if you happen to be there and have time
Homer Brewing Company - if you make it that far down, definitely go

The two best breweries we hit on that trip were off the cruise ship: Alaskan Brewing Company in Juneau and Haines Brewing Company. Most people have heard of ABC, especially their smoked porter, which I drank quite a bit of while at their brewery. Haines was the best one we went to, small shop, actually located in the set that was built for the move White Fang. Great guys there, great beers. Wife and I ended up spending virtually the entire day in Haines at the brewing company.
Looks like we will be going to Homer, so I'm hoping we can hit this up!
__________________
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)
jamesnsw is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 862
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
I lived in anchorage for 4 years and can tell u to avoid koots that place is a stupid night club with super violent bouncers they have killed a few people (no joke there have been like 2 or 3 people die there by the bouncers) the moose tooth and the bears tooth are awesome and humpys is cool and a place called Darwins theory is a cool dive bar with good beer while u are there u have to get a duck fart its a shot that is huge in AK where are u staying ?
Hah, the duck fart sounds tasty.

We'll be staying with friends & in hostels, most likely.
__________________
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)
jamesnsw is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
dmcoates
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: soldotna, alaska
Posts: 150
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default

How was the Trip, did you make it to the Kenai. There is some great brew down here!

__________________
dmcoates is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Isle of Staten
Posts: 10,856
Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Default

If you end up on Kodiak Island, Kodiak Island Brewing Company is an awesome place with great beer. Mostly high gravity stuff if you're into that. It's a small little place on the waterfront, and they will gladly give you a tour of the back. I brought one of their glasses home with me from my trip to visit a friend who was stationed there with the Coast Guard.

__________________
Fermentor(s):
Lagering:
Bottled: Atonement Brown Porter
Airborneguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Portland, Or trip tkorigininal Oregon HomeBrew Forum 8 03-10-2012 12:03 AM
Northern California trip suggestions? KoedBrew California HomeBrew Forum 9 04-18-2011 05:38 PM
Trip to Boston - Suggestions on pubs? keelanfish Massachusetts HomeBrew Forum 46 05-28-2009 09:45 PM
Alaska attitude Alaska HomeBrew Forum 3 02-22-2009 04:40 PM
Cruising to Victoria BC, then Juneau Alaska gonzo brewer International 4 05-30-2008 09:53 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS