Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #901
CBK
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgondoli1 View Post
so does anyone want to share a ride or pick-up for me in rochester? I'm in henrietta.
Sent you a pm yesterday. I am sure we can work something out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #902
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Anybody brewing this weekend? Making space for your soon to be huge grain and hop orders?

I am thinking about making a hefe with the BZ-SPLZ malt I grabbed two orders ago and/or going the route of an octoberfest. But who knows I may scrap it and go for some easier ales and IPAs! Seems like most of my recent brews have been so finicky temperature wise and bogging down al;l my temperature controlled chambers (dubbel, golden, specialty)... ah the belgian brews!

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 05-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #903
DBush20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah
Anybody brewing this weekend? Making space for your soon to be huge grain and hop orders?
Yeah doing a franken-ale a red ale with tf-mo that i want to use up and cara Munich. Going to use a wyeast German ale yeast cake from a kolsch'ish brew. Gonna try and do 2 5gallon brews AFTER work tonight, last time I did a double brew session it took 8 hrs. Wish me luck, I going to be a loooooong night.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #904
CBK
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Have a 3 day weekend this week so am going for 2 batches. Going to do a deception cream stout and a falconers flight ipa. I have never done a lager but now have a temp controlled fermentation chamber. Looking to do an oktoberfest for my first lager attempt. If anyone has a good recipe please post up. Thanks

Old 05-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #905
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nice!

The ony thing keeping me from doing the octoberfest this weekend is the lack of yeast prepped. Looks like that one will have to wait (still don't have an October fest recipe set up . Though I could rebrew a BoPils...

I enjoyed the deception cream stout (good stuff for sure), but liked an oatmeal stout I brewed a bit better. Hoping the chocolate stout clone I am doing will be ready just as I am emptying my keg of cloned guinness from the nitro tap.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #906
Smashing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Nice!

I enjoyed the deception cream stout (good stuff for sure), but liked an oatmeal stout I brewed a bit better.
Do you have this posted anywhere?

I was going to brew this RAPA:

8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.6 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.9 %
1 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 3 8.9 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.7 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 23.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 3.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 7.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 1.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -

....Until I realized I never filled my tank! I knew I forgot something......Anyway - tell me what you think of the recipe.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #907
t-booneyay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I am doing a Belgian Wit tonight with dried ruby red grape fruit peels, dried tangerine peels, corriander and a bit of cracked pepper corn. Using Admiral, Saaz and Hallertau for the hops. Using Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey for the yeast. Been meaning to brew this for a while, just haven't had much free time.

Probably going to do a Cream Stout next weekend during the 3-day weekend. Would like to let the stout age a few months to be ready for next winter.

The wife just bought me 2 more corny's for my birthday to add to the one I already have, so I need to fill them up.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #908
Mparsons327
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thinking about doing an all citra ipa.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #909
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I wish I could say that the oatmeal stout was my recipe - but it wasn't! haha It was Jamil's and I toasted the oats in the oven. I will say that this one doesn't age well. It didn't last with me on nitro, but my buddy left his keg at my house for like 6 months before getting it. He said it was still good but it definitely lost something. I personally think it was the roasted oat character, but I never tried the older brew.

I can post a recipe later, but it is straight from jamil's book if you have it.

Recipe looks good. I love Rye and I think you could easily go up to 20% rye with no issues, and a great malt flavor and extra body to the brew. I used to think rye was spicy in a lot of the beers I brewed it with, but now I think that might have been more hop character. My roggenbier (rye hefe) was REALLY awesome. I served it out of style through nitro and it was super smooth and creamy. the "spice" wasn't super apparent as I thought it would be for a beer using 11lbs of rye.

OK that was a long way of saying....
1. You could up the rye for some more malt character and body to at least 20% of the grain bill if you want.
2. You might want to consider dry hopping (for a pale ale I def would)
3. I didn't enjoy the citra in ruthless rye as much as I have the mt hood and Columbus hops like in Denny's rye. But that is totally subjective and dependent on what you are looking for in your brew. Some people just love the heck out of cascade (I know I do). But I think I would consider some of the spicier hops (tett, maybe saaz) that might accentuate what people may expect a RAPA may taste like.

or just run with what you got! haha

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 05-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #910
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBK View Post
Have a 3 day weekend this week so am going for 2 batches. Going to do a deception cream stout and a falconers flight ipa. I have never done a lager but now have a temp controlled fermentation chamber. Looking to do an oktoberfest for my first lager attempt. If anyone has a good recipe please post up. Thanks
I've got my own recipe for an Oktoberfest that came out really good last year. I'll have to post it up when I get home. I brewed 10 gal this year since it went so damn fast last fall.

Quick Reply