Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #71
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb418 View Post
I abandoned the hood idea. I have no easy way to vent it outside due to how my garage is built (cinder-block walls). So I am just going to get some more hardibacker tile board to line the ceiling area above my brew pot then use some galvanized sheet metal on top of that to make it look nice. Lowes sells 3ft by 4 ft sheets of it in the heater/ducting area for like $9 a sheet. Then I'll just use a fan to circulate air in and out of my garage.
I wish I could find it, but short of going a full hood a guy was using an expander off of one of those hydroponic vent fans and it worked well according to him. So expander, length of 6'' ducting and then an inline blower with more ducting to vent out of the space. He kept the expander close to, but not over the pot. It created enough suction to pull the water vapor into the vent tubing withing having to go the full hood route.

I may do something similar because I want to be able to brew outside and in. If I can make something compact like that I can attach or detach to the brew rig depending on if I need it or not. Winter or rain I would use the vent. Good weather = no vent and rig wheeled out of my walk out basement.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #72
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
I abandoned the hood idea. I have no easy way to vent it outside due to how my garage is built (cinder-block walls). So I am just going to get some more hardibacker tile board to line the ceiling area above my brew pot then use some galvanized sheet metal on top of that to make it look nice. Lowes sells 3ft by 4 ft sheets of it in the heater/ducting area for like $9 a sheet. Then I'll just use a fan to circulate air in and out of my garage.
Jeff,
Check out this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ven...n-hood-297089/ where they are doing a DYI condensation system similar to what commercial breweries use. The general idea is you spray (cold) water on the steam and collect it and let it run out a drain (or put to some other use).

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 03-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #73
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
Jeff,
Check out this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ven...n-hood-297089/ where they are doing a DYI condensation system similar to what commercial breweries use. The general idea is you spray (cold) water on the steam and collect it and let it run out a drain (or put to some other use).
yeah cool concept - had read this. on a well it simply would use too much water for me

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #74
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
Jeff,
Yeah I saw that. Neat Idea. I'm not as concerned with the steam but more of the heat. In the winter its not bad, but the garage does get warm. I'm worried that in the summer my garage is gonna be COOKING when I get my banjo burner going inside, even with the doors open all the way.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #75
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah I saw that. Neat Idea. I'm not as concerned with the steam but more of the heat. In the winter its not bad, but the garage does get warm. I'm worried that in the summer my garage is gonna be COOKING when I get my banjo burner going inside, even with the doors open all the way.
Holy monkey yeah. The banjo burners have really high btus. I know with my burner it is 180K btus. That is why I would never use it in contact with anything but concrete or pavement (mine sounds like a jet engine ). If we use our burner to direct fire something for a 5-10 minutes the legs for the burner get hotter than a $2 pistol. That was why we really started to push into the eherms concept lately to maintain the mash temps vs. our original plan to direct fire the MT if needed during a mash.

You still get the heat with an eherms but it is less apparent because the heat is all going into the wort and not glancing off the pot and acting like a space heater. If you aren't concerned about steam you have a lot of options with even standard box fans strategically placed to induce airflow in the summer. Cheaper than those vortex fans and... will certainly work.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #76
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Holy monkey yeah. The banjo burners have really high btus. I know with my burner it is 180K btus. That is why I would never use it in contact with anything but concrete or pavement (mine sounds like a jet engine ). If we use our burner to direct fire something for a 5-10 minutes the legs for the burner get hotter than a $2 pistol. That was why we really started to push into the eherms concept lately to maintain the mash temps vs. our original plan to direct fire the MT if needed during a mash.

You still get the heat with an eherms but it is less apparent because the heat is all going into the wort and not glancing off the pot and acting like a space heater. If you aren't concerned about steam you have a lot of options with even standard box fans strategically placed to induce airflow in the summer. Cheaper than those vortex fans and... will certainly work.
Yeah I'm using a vortex right now. Those things are awesome!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #77
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah I'm using a vortex right now. Those things are awesome!
what size are you using? I have been debating between the 6'' one and the 8'' one with 747cfm

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #78
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

http://www.vornado.com/product.aspx?...c-9abe00b4a9ee

Thats the one I have, it works but I'd go bigger if you could.

Go for this one:
http://www.vornado.com/product.aspx?...f-9abd010468e0

Old 03-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #79
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
http://www.vornado.com/product.aspx?...c-9abe00b4a9ee

Thats the one I have, it works but I'd go bigger if you could.

Go for this one:
http://www.vornado.com/product.aspx?...f-9abd010468e0
Oh we are talking about a different style of fan (I am talking about the hydroponic fans). I am going to be looking at the inline fans with a duct set up of some kind. But that can wait until next fall... I have a few more pressing fish to fry!

I do have a gable vent fan 15'' that I plan on putting in the garage for rainy brew days. that thing is a ripper!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #80
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh yeah... my bad! Vortex... Vornado... lol both start with a V =)

Quick Reply