Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #421
DannSchuler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
HOPS:

OK all who are participating in the hop buy please read on.

So I am a knucklehead and I either:
a. have a poor memory
b. didn't listen closely
c. a little bit from choice a and b

I just called NCM to confirm hop buy capability and packaging. It looks like while they can package in 1lb bags, it will cost the same price as if we bought them 1 at a time. The only way to get the deep discounted price is to order them in one giant 11lb sealed back. i.e. we will have to split them up in bags.

Based on this information some people may wish to not participate, however I am still whole heartedly interested, and will handle the splits personally as needed.

If you wish to step out of the hop splits please let me know and we can update the sheet accordingly.

If you continue with the hop portion of the buy it will likely mean adding maybe $1 or less to your hop total (dependent on packaging). i.e. if you bought 1 lb of cascade it will then will be $7.39 for a lb vs. $6.39

I have a food saver and if I recall the foodsaver bags are about ~<$1 per foot on the roll unless they have come down in price (each split would be charged actual price). Anyway that would be the most $ way for us to package them. We could go with ziplocks as well. I have mylar bags as well, but I can't vac seal them - only heat seal them.

I have used hops that were over 1 year old that were stored in a mason jar, opened several times with free air as I used them. They still made great beer. Personally I am switching all over the mason jars for all my hop storage after that experiment. For reference, a 1 qt mason jar holds about 1 lb of hops.

Please let me know if you are changing interest. Sorry for not flushing the details out on the hop packaging before this. I still think it is a great deal and hope people remain on the bulk buy. But if you change you mind that is ok too (PMs sent to all).

Thanks all!

I am still in.

I don't mind a little extra cost considering I paid over $10 for 3oz of hops for my last batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #422
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannSchuler View Post
I am still in.

I don't mind a little extra cost considering I paid over $10 for 3oz of hops for my last batch.
ouch!

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #423
DannSchuler
Recipes 

Quote:
ouch!
Yeah, and I really want to make an Imperial IPA, but the bank won't give me a loan.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #424
CBK
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm still in. Kind of thought they would come in 11 lb packaging. Even at $1.00 more a lb these prices cannot be beat. Just paid $37.50 for a lb of Amarillo.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #425
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
HOPS:

OK all who are participating in the hop buy please read on.

So I am a knucklehead and I either:
a. have a poor memory
b. didn't listen closely
c. a little bit from choice a and b

I just called NCM to confirm hop buy capability and packaging. It looks like while they can package in 1lb bags, it will cost the same price as if we bought them 1 at a time. The only way to get the deep discounted price is to order them in one giant 11lb sealed back. i.e. we will have to split them up in bags.

Based on this information some people may wish to not participate, however I am still whole heartedly interested, and will handle the splits personally as needed.

If you wish to step out of the hop splits please let me know and we can update the sheet accordingly.

If you continue with the hop portion of the buy it will likely mean adding maybe $1 or less to your hop total (dependent on packaging). i.e. if you bought 1 lb of cascade it will then will be $7.39 for a lb vs. $6.39

I have a food saver vacuum sealer and if I recall the foodsaver bags are about ~<$1 per foot on the roll unless they have come down in price (each split would be charged actual price). Anyway that would be the most $ way for us to package them. We could go with ziplocks as well. I have mylar bags as well, but I can't vac seal them - only heat seal them.

I have used hops that were over 1 year old that were stored in a mason jar, opened several times with free air as I used them. They still made great beer. Personally I am switching all over the mason jars for all my hop storage after that experiment. For reference, a 1 qt mason jar holds about 1 lb of hops.

Please let me know if you are changing interest. Sorry for not flushing the details out on the hop packaging before this. I still think it is a great deal and hope people remain on the bulk buy. But if you change you mind that is ok too (PMs sent to all).

Thanks all!
Cidah,
I am ok with whatever you decide, however I do have some suggestions:

1. I would prefer to seal the hops myself, as I would seal them in smaller increments than a pound. When I buy 1#, I typically seal them in 4 ounce increments. When I buy 2#, 8 ounce increments.

2.I've used these bags for sealing hops:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i03. It's a bit tight, but I've sealed 10# or so this way.

3.I've also used these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i04, which would provide more space.

Both #2 and #3 would bring the cost/# down considerably under your $1/# estimate.

I have Amazon prime, if you wanted I could order these and have them shipped to you (or whoever) for the group buy.

If you prefer rolls, I've bought these from NewEgg, which has the best $/foot price I've found (unless you want a LARGE amount of feet, in which case some of the sealer specific internet sites are better):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16896180031 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16896180032.

I've done a LOT of sealing in the last 9 months, both for hops and various specialty grains (and some of the base grains from my first participation in the group buys), plus some other basic food items that I've bought in large size bags (rice, sugar, etc.)

Finally, I also like the Mason Jar idea. Although it makes transport home a bit harder (glass), I use Mason jars for washed yeast, so can always make use of them!

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #426
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
Cidah,

1. I would prefer to seal the hops myself, as I would seal them in smaller increments than a pound. When I buy 1#, I typically seal them in 4 ounce increments. When I buy 2#, 8 ounce increments.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i03. It's a bit tight, but I've sealed 10# or so this way.

3.I've also used these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i04, which would provide more space.

Both #2 and #3 would bring the cost/# down considerably under your $1/# estimate.

I have Amazon prime, if you wanted I could order these and have them shipped to you (or whoever) for the group buy.

If you prefer rolls, I've bought these from NewEgg, which has the best $/foot price I've found (unless you want a LARGE amount of feet, in which case some of the sealer specific internet sites are better):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16896180031 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16896180032.

I've done a LOT of sealing in the last 9 months, both for hops and various specialty grains (and some of the base grains from my first participation in the group buys), plus some other basic food items that I've bought in large size bags (rice, sugar, etc.)

Finally, I also like the Mason Jar idea. Although it makes transport home a bit harder (glass), I use Mason jars for washed yeast, so can always make use of them!
Yeah I think we can get the cost per lb under $1. There is a place I buy bags from that is pretty cheap, I'll have to dig up the vendor later today. Bags would be the easiest to distribute, jars are nice but may be an issue for pickup/transport. I think we can figure out a system.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #427
dbennett78
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Still fine with the hops here, although Im still waiting on the second split of Cascade to hit 11 before I am truly in. If someone drops out of the first Cascade split let me know and Ill move to that one.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #428
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
Cidah,

overall great info and thanks!

So for the two bags on amazon, you are saying the 6x10 will hold a 1lb but might be tight? If it will be a little tight, I might want to opt to the next size up just because I will likely be packing quite a few of these and will not be interesting in fussing over each bag

Very cool that you have used these before with the foodsaver. One of the reasons I do not often use the foodsaver is the cost of the bags - would love to have a more viable option.

What does amazon prime get you? Looks like these are free super saver shipping. As long as there is no tax I am guessing ~$0.26 added to each hop lb. Not bad at all.

Yeah I love the mason jars for the freezer, but truthfully it would be a bad idea to do them like that onsite because... they are glass! haha

I am also happy to consider using ziplocks for the hops if people are planning to repackage the hops anyway

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #429
westo2
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm still in for the hops - in fact they will likely be the bulk of my buy provided some of these splits fill up.

Plain old ziplock bags work fine for me - they'll be getting split up further and tossed in the freezer so no need to put in a ton of extra effort.

And if someone from the now full East Kent Golding split does drop out - I can fill that one instead of the second split I opened up.

-Weston

Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #430
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yeah ziplocks might be a quick and easy way to do the splits. We're gonna have to measure out and split up to 220 1# bags (if all of the splits close), altho I think in the end we will be closer to ~100 (still alot!). Also if you dont already own a sealer, if you are buying hops in bulk, its a good idea to invest in one anyways.

On a side note, has anyone used these in their hops to reduce O2?
http://www.amazon.com/Oxygen-Absorbe...ref=pd_sim_k_7

Quick Reply