Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #321
jeffb418
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Awful quiet in here *crickets*

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #322
Mparsons327
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

We need to get these hop splits filled! I'm also curious about getting grain splits going again on the next swap? Anyone have any ideas to how we could make that work?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #323
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

We're discussing the possibility of doing some limited organized splits but nothing has been decided yet. I think we would like to do them again but the buys have grown in size so fast that we're trying to make it easier to manage for everyone (delivery point and cider handling payments).

Old 04-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #324
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb418 View Post
We're discussing the possibility of doing some limited organized splits but nothing has been decided yet. I think we would like to do them again but the buys have grown in size so fast that we're trying to make it easier to manage for everyone (delivery point and cider handling payments).
I'm fairly set for splits, but can still offer suggestions. It seems that splits could still be done but limited in a few ways:
1. Limit split to those grains for which it doesn't make any sense for any one person to get a full sack. For example, the crystal malts and carapils. Don't allow splits for what are essentially base grains: 2-row, MO, Vienna, even things like Munich. This will reduce the # of splits.
2 Limit the number of sacks in each buy eligible for splits. For example, "we will only have 6 sacks that can be split per group buy".
3.For most splits, limit the # of splits to a max of 3. I'm personally wishing on some things that I got a 1/4 sack, that I had actually gotten 1/3.
4.As you are doing now, for those fairly local to each other, encourage them to buy a sack and split it among themselves after pickup.

Of course, this is all easy for me to recommend as I'm not the one having to measure and split things up, being so far away (Albany).

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 04-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #325
TwoGunz
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Hey copyright, I keep forgetting to tell you I tried your blue moon clone on my last brew day while I was zesting oranges and brewing my first wit. It was tasty and put me in the right frame of mind! I haven't busted out the SN clone comparison yet- I want to get my brother in law over to enjoy that.

Thanks again

Old 04-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #326
rustbucket
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

well, i might be in this one too, depending on when it goes through.. (i might be moving back to syracuse at the end of june... so we will see...)

if so all hell will break loose.... i havent brewed in 2 months and going through withdrawal

Old 04-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #327
TwoGunz
Recipes 

Boom, I just kegged 4 batches and hit the boil on two new ones! I'm going to pitch on the cake I used for my wit and make a rye saison with it -- really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. It should be perfect by the lake this summer. I also used a touch of the aromatic malt from one of our previous buys for a Vienna style ale, haven't used it before either so we'll see!

Old 04-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #328
jdowling
Recipes 

subscribed. I updated the spreadsheet with my intended purchases . Let me know if I did it wrong at all!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #329
jdowling
Recipes 

I did have one quick question. Does anyone have an amber malt recommendation? When I was looking through the malts I didn't see one. I'm probably just being blind. I know that amber can go by various names though.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #330
TwoGunz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowling
I did have one quick question. Does anyone have an amber malt recommendation? When I was looking through the malts I didn't see one. I'm probably just being blind. I know that amber can go by various names though.
I've been using the Franco-Belges Kiln Amber and like it. I use it in a lot of my beers in a small quantity.

Quick Reply