Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #1031
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb418 View Post
Cidah,

gcdowd just emailed me too, he is coming sat.
Thanks!

we are narrowing it down and getting the loose ends tied up. I like it!

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #1032
brian4508
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah

I joined but to be honest the first meeting I went to was a little too basic and the focus was on tasting commercial beers with a few lone home brew growlers.

The resident grand master brewer guy answered a question about hops where he laboriously indicated that hops at 60 minutes were for "bittering" and hops later in the boil were for "aroma". I think that is explained in just about anything you read related to brewing, so it was largely unhelpful and didn't relate the the actual question the asker had. (question was "are any commercial beers made without a 60 minute bittering hop addition")

I might have just caught an off day, but it felt like it should have been more home brew focused. There was a big turn out. My format would be more like a home brewer or two brings in a batch (or growlers) for the meetings on a rotation. There must have been over 40 people there easy. You do get some good discounts though.

All said, I tend to be a nut about research and learning about brewing (and any other hobby I take on). So perhaps that was helpful to some folks.
I too am a member and was hoping for more. I'm going to give it another run in June. Seems to be meeting based and not a 'club' if that makes sense.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #1033
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian4508 View Post
I too am a member and was hoping for more. I'm going to give it another run in June. Seems to be meeting based and not a 'club' if that makes sense.
I agree.

I personally believe that there is more knowledge, experience and comradery on the Syracuse NY Group Buy thread than there is in the SSBC.

I wish no ill will on the club, and like what it is attempting to do. I joined up in the hope that it would improve.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #1034
DannSchuler
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
I agree.

I personally believe that there is more knowledge, experience and comradery on the Syracuse NY Group Buy thread than there is in the SSBC.

I wish no ill will on the club, and like what it is attempting to do. I joined up in the hope that it would improve.
I am still thinking about checking it out, if even to just network with other home brewers.

But I see all these things like club night at the NHC (on video of course, I have not been yet) and hear podcasts from people in clubs and it all sounds exciting. So that is what I have been expecting.

When I first looked the club's website it seemed like they were not doing much. But looking now it seems like they have improved a lot.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #1035
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannSchuler View Post
I am still thinking about checking it out, if even to just network with other home brewers.
I would absolutely recommend that

Also, you should look into joining the AHA. We were just talking about this last night while splitting up the buy. You get a free zymurgy subscription and it gives strength to home brewers.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 05-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #1036
brian4508
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Well if the brew club goes the way it is going without improvements, then we start our own. Brew trades, brew dates, yeast strain trades, recipe sharing etc. make it more about the homebrew that what other commercially brewed beers that are out there. More about enjoying the brewing of HB (along with a few drinks of course)

More like a 'poker night' but with HB

Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #1037
bellinmi88
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why wait...why not have both! Count me in.

Oatmeal Stout

Old 05-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #1038
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by westo2 View Post

Also - for the next order, are we able to order bottle caps from them? I saw that they have them listed in a qty of 10,000 - I figure that would last me for years.
I tried getting bottle caps in the Pittsburgh area group buy. For some reason, Country Malt said they wouldn't ship them. (I travel to Pittsburgh a couple times a year and figured bottle caps are good to sit there.)

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #1039
Smashing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian4508
Well if the brew club goes the way it is going without improvements, then we start our own. Brew trades, brew dates, yeast strain trades, recipe sharing etc. make it more about the homebrew that what other commercially brewed beers that are out there. More about enjoying the brewing of HB (along with a few drinks of course)

More like a 'poker night' but with HB
That would be pretty cool. Maybe do quaterly meetings for all those out-of-towners.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #1040
Mparsons327
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would be up for starting a club! Maybe do bi monthly meetings/ group brews. We could also plan them at the same time of grain buy pick ups.

Quick Reply