New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #511
TwoGunz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Is there any life left in the keg purchase we were discussing? I'm contemplating getting some more kegs soon as I've been keeping them all full and they seem to just be going up in price everywhere.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #512
Smashing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
I personally disagree, just because I got sick of hauling propane, and it is highly inefficient was spending 5-7$ per brew depending on where I filled up. I think this is even more true once you up the 5g batch to a 10g or similar. And let's face it - the indoor brewing it a lot easier electric. Really nice knowing I don't have to run to the gas station for a fill up mid brew.

It sounds crazy too, but electric in the summer is awesome. Super quiet (my burner sounded like a jet engine). But to each his own!

Alright off to shop prices on some yeast. Looks like a Belgian specialty might be up next!
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't claiming one was better than the other - I just prefer it. It costs me about $3 per batch for propane and is really easy for me to get. I don't and never will brew indoors otherwise I would seriously consider electric. Hell, I don't even plan on getting pumps. I'm going to run gravity for quite some time.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #513
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashing

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't claiming one was better than the other - I just prefer it. It costs me about $3 per batch for propane and is really easy for me to get. I don't and never will brew indoors otherwise I would seriously consider electric. Hell, I don't even plan on getting pumps. I'm going to run gravity for quite some time.
Which ever method saves me the most time. Since that's what I don't have a ton of. I'd consider electric if it's faster. But not sure if it is. Plus I can't run a 220 line to my garage easy. And my basement is not an option since its my game room since boiling wort prob isn't good for my pinball machines.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #514
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

electric is just as fast, or faster than propane (I seem to think I have done an 11g batch in 3.5-4hrs at my fastest, but don't quote me). I do 11g batches and I can match times like you have stated. That is when the batch is a 60 minute type. If the batch is a 90 minute then it adds some to it. The most I ever did was a triple brew day, and on here somewhere I posted how long that took, but can't recall off the top of my head.

With electric you basically are getting 100% heat transfer from the element tot he wort. With the gas you get a lot of heat escaping on the sides of the brew pot etc. I have a 180,000 btu burner too, so it had nothing to do with burner capacity.

That is a heck of a price 0n propane you are getting (don't think I ever got a refill for that cheap), but based on the research other on HBT have done electric is cheaper in the long run. When I figured my cost out I calculated that I would have me electric rig paid off on about 3-4 years of brewing in energy cost savings (not even counting convenience costs, etc.). For me aside from the cost savings is the absolutely the convenience and the hobby part. i.e. building and designing the stuff is a lot of fun and it keeps me busy doing something I enjoy.

I brewing electric a requirement? Absolutely not. But to me, I would never go back to propane now. I flip a switch and i have an unlimited on demand power supply.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #515
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGunz View Post
Is there any life left in the keg purchase we were discussing? I'm contemplating getting some more kegs soon as I've been keeping them all full and they seem to just be going up in price everywhere.
mparsonsYeah I would like to know a bit more about this too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashing View Post
Smashing, sorry if I came off otherwise - I knew you weren't pushing an agenda

Electric has been costed out at about $1.19 per batch. For me I was spending about $5-7 per batch depending on where I got the propane. I think the cheapest I ever got was at tractor supply ($15). On the weekend if I ran to the gas station in a pinch, I think it was closer to $20.

I said the same thing about pumps as you did. Hell I said the same thing about ballvalves in my pots. Then I tried them and wow, they are great - ha! I think for me I am happy with a progression. Adding things as I go because while I save money making beer, I enjoy the hobby aspect of it. FWIW, I also said I would never get an IC and would just use snow and brew in the winter...

Reality of it all is that whatever you enjoy doing is the way to go. If you are a constant tinkerer like me then you will probably always be adding or changing things until you are running your own brewery ha!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #516
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb418 View Post
Which ever method saves me the most time. Since that's what I don't have a ton of. I'd consider electric if it's faster. But not sure if it is. Plus I can't run a 220 line to my garage easy. And my basement is not an option since its my game room since boiling wort prob isn't good for my pinball machines.
I would be willing to bet electric is faster (that was absolutely my experience), especially noticeable when you step up to the larger batch sizes. Now by how much I am not sure. 30 minutes over a brew session? Who knows because I never got out a stop watch.

One thing I do know is that electric costs a bit more upfront to get you started than a basic turkey fryer set up. In the long run it will pay itself off and is a worthy investment IMO.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #517
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It seems like the split spreadsheet was lonely, so I added .25 onto the split for GW-C150. Still contemplating whether I want to get 2 bags of TF-MOPA instead of one....

Last n brews:
3/31/14: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (condition/carb in keg)
3/25/14: Belgian Ale (condition/carb in keg)
3/21/14: mrbowenz English IPA (conditon/carb in keg)
3/17/14: Mirror Pond Ale (in keg)
3/17/14: Blue Moonish WIT (in keg)
3/15/14: Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (in keg)
keezer: Cream of 3 crops, Bells 2 Hearted, English Mild, Mirror Pond, Blue Moonish, Sculpin IPA

Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #518
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
It seems like the split spreadsheet was lonely, so I added .25 onto the split for GW-C150. Still contemplating whether I want to get 2 bags of TF-MOPA instead of one....
You know my opinion on that

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 01-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #519
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
You know my opinion on that
Lets get them all closed! If we close all the splits that will put us at 75 bags! =)

Old 01-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #520
zeno27
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Jumped in on the FB-DMUN (Dark Munich). Just need the last 1/3.

Quick Reply