Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #41
rustbucket
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
oh that is good news.

Tentative interest:

mparsons - 5
twogunz - 5
cidahmastah - 2-4
Rustbucket - At least 5
Copyright - ?? I thought Copyright said something crazy like 10?!

Rust - the salmon was very good. It has some "salmon nuances" to it but it was way more neutral in flavor (compared to your everyday saltwater salmon). I would say it is more along the lines of tasting like trout, with a tinge of salmon. But very neutral in flavor. Great firm flesh and will take on whatever seasoning you like.

I did my 4 Seas seasoning (Cumin, Coriander, Curry, Cayenne) -get the play on words Four Seas; 4 "C's"- and salt and a touch of pepper of course
that sounds good.. i have yet to try any.. But thats good that it isnt a "fishy" taste so would you say you like it better than you typical salt water or do you like the salt water better?

the wife surprised by it?

if these are in good condition and if the prices is like 15/each ill prob buy 10 or so... (leave it at i wont spent more than 150-200) so depending on the price is how many i get...
jeffb418 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #42
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Kegs

For $25/each I would go for 4 if one of you nice Syracuse guys would be able to store them for me until either the group buy or when I can get to the area (maybe around Christmas at the soonest).

For $35 I will pass. Too close to the LHBS price where I have recourse if it leaks, etc. Plus, I don't want to reward stupidity and greed (on the part of the seller)...already feeling that $25/each for a large quantity (e.g. quantity 50) would bee too high.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #43
copyright1997
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
oh that is good news.

Tentative interest:

Copyright - ?? I thought Copyright said something crazy like 10?!
At the right price, I'd buy enough to fill up my garage! I went for 4 as per my old post.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #44
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
that sounds good.. i have yet to try any.. But thats good that it isnt a "fishy" taste so would you say you like it better than you typical salt water or do you like the salt water better?

the wife surprised by it?

if these are in good condition and if the prices is like 15/each ill prob buy 10 or so... (leave it at i wont spent more than 150-200) so depending on the price is how many i get...
I wouldn't say better or worse on the fish, just different. Side by side you wouldn't think the freshwater is salmon when compared to salt water salmon. But a tasty fish for sure

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #45
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
For $25/each I would go for 4 if one of you nice Syracuse guys would be able to store them for me until either the group buy or when I can get to the area (maybe around Christmas at the soonest).

For $35 I will pass. Too close to the LHBS price where I have recourse if it leaks, etc. Plus, I don't want to reward stupidity and greed (on the part of the seller)...already feeling that $25/each for a large quantity (e.g. quantity 50) would bee too high.
I agree with this too. He shouldn't be rewarded a great price (for him) if we buy a bunch of them and pick them up. If we buy quantity he should adjust the price. But then again he could just want to hold them...

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 11-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #46
Mparsons327
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you dont think 25 is fair we can just forget it... He obviously doesn't need to sell them.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:10 AM   #47
Smashing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

This thread is gonna be huge by the time the grain order really kicks in.

BTW... Put me down for a bag of MO! LOL - I'm outa control!!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #48
Smashing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/grain-stores-281090/

Old 11-15-2011, 01:38 AM   #49
rustbucket
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

well, id say contact him figure out if he is willing to negotiate, if not then leave it as is... we really dont know what will happen until we really know.... i would say before we even really consider all these kegs and get our hopes all hyphened up we figure out what the deal is.

if there is a good deal then we should start considering how many we need... i told my buddy about this and he said if its worth it he would be in for quite a few as well...

Old 11-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #50
copyright1997
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparsons327 View Post
If you dont think 25 is fair we can just forget it... He obviously doesn't need to sell them.
Mparsons327 - I wasn't trying to piss on the parade so to speak. $25 for one is a decent deal, assuming they hold pressure.

Individuals are funny when it comes to business. Maybe he thinks he can sell them for $35 each. (Maybe he can, but it will take a long time, and will be one/two at a time and TIME is MONEY. Maybe he paid more than I think (I doubt it). Who knows? All you have to do to see how people's emotions screw up their business judgment is to look at the real estate market, where a property can sit for a long time because the owner isn't looking at things realistically.

One thing I've learned the hard way in buying/selling stock is that what you paid, whether you made money or lost money up to now is completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is FROM now, what is likely to happen and how can you control risk. Period.

So, back to the kegs.

I paid $20/each for non-reconditioned kegs earlier this year (August). For a set of 4, I can get re-conditioned kegs for $150 (so $37.50 each). This is from a dealer on homebrewtalk, who lives in the Pittsburgh area (which I visit a few times a year to see family, thus no shipping cost.) So, if I get 4 working kegs for $100 it's not so bad.

If it's ok with you, maybe would should continue to collect interest (given a $25 price point), but before going to him we could collectively look around to see if anyplace will match/better it?

Quick Reply