Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #131
jeffb418
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocu View Post
Can't you just adjust for temperature when determining the SG? That's what I usually do when I'm checking post-boil, after fermentation, after cold crashing, etc.

I just made my first all grain batch (Centennial Blonde). Overall, it went okay although I only wound up with 4.25 gal into the fermenter. Also, I'm not sure if it's because of the ambient temp, but next time I'll raise the temp of my strike and sparge water to hit my target mash/sparge temps which were both kind of low.
Buy one of these: Refractometer w/ ATC

Can measure wort gravity without cooling and only takes 2 drops! I measure the gravity of my runnings as i batch sparge. HIGHLY recommend this tool!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #132
Mparsons327
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 to getting a refractometer! Just keep your hydrometer because post fermentation the alcohol can affect the refractometer.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #133
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocu View Post
Can't you just adjust for temperature when determining the SG? That's what I usually do when I'm checking post-boil, after fermentation, after cold crashing, etc.

I just made my first all grain batch (Centennial Blonde). Overall, it went okay although I only wound up with 4.25 gal into the fermenter. Also, I'm not sure if it's because of the ambient temp, but next time I'll raise the temp of my strike and sparge water to hit my target mash/sparge temps which were both kind of low.
Yes, you can adjust for temperature.

I usually take SG readings for my Mash output and batch sparge output. Then the pre-boil SG is:
((Mash SG * Mash volume) + (Batch Sparge SG * Batch Sparge Volume))/ (Mash Volume + Batch Sparge Volume).

I do this because then I know before I add the sparge liquid to my mash liquid both whether I am hitting my estimated pre-boil volume and whether I am hitting my estimated pre-boil SG. I can adjust how much of the 2nd runnings (the batch sparge liquid) down (if low on pre-boil SG) or up (by adding water or doing an additional batch sparge).

Was your pre-boil volume on target? (Either that was low or your boil off was longer or higher than expected.)

Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #134
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparsons327 View Post
+1 to getting a refractometer! Just keep your hydrometer because post fermentation the alcohol can affect the refractometer.
Yeah, forgot to mention that. Only good for per-fermentation wort. But its awesome to measure gravity of your mash too!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #135
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The refractometers are nice because you can take a sample in hte pipet from your boil and it takes just a few moments to cool down to room temp. However I have noticed my refractometer needs recalibrating now and then, so I tend to only really trust my hydrometer (but it is good ball parking tool).

I used to take readings all the way through the brew process, but I seemed to hit my numbers so consistently as I have dialed my system in, so I only check o.g. as I add to fermenter and F.G. now.

drocu, - key to your mash will always be stable mash temp. Wrap your MT in towels or other insulation like material to keep your gravity constant and not sliding more than a degree. reheat at 30 minutes if needed. Get a good thermometer

Also try to mash with a thinner 50/50 mash/sparge ratio. That is, using about half of your water needs in your mash so you can mash, then batch sparge once for the remainder of your preboil needs.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 11-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #136
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Also - you might want to adjust your future batches to 5.5 gallons if you can. With AG there tends to be a good about of hotbreak and coldbreak along with yeast, etc. in the fermenter. If you shoot for 5.5G batches your yield will be about 5 gallons less all that trub. This is why I do 11G batches (so I end up with two full 5G kegs). YMMV

unrelated but - wired up my temp control for my ale double demi fermentation chamber this weekend. Also sealed in the top and need to move some stuff so I can move on the the final stage of sealing up the chamber.

Cut up a bunch of the steel for my brew stand!! hopefully welding it up this weekend

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 11-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #137
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Also - you might want to adjust your future batches to 5.5 gallons if you can. With AG there tends to be a good about of hotbreak and coldbreak along with yeast, etc. in the fermenter. If you shoot for 535G batches your yield will be about 5 gallons less all that trub. This is why I do 11G batches (so I end up with two full 5G kegs). YMMV

Not that I've been doing this all that long, but that's what I like about SW like BeerSmith, you just plug in how much you want in the end along with things like trub loss, etc. and it calculates the needed volumes along the way.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #138
jeffb418
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
The refractometers are nice because you can take a sample in hte pipet from your boil and it takes just a few moments to cool down to room temp. However I have noticed my refractometer needs recalibrating now and then, so I tend to only really trust my hydrometer (but it is good ball parking tool).

I used to take readings all the way through the brew process, but I seemed to hit my numbers so consistently as I have dialed my system in, so I only check o.g. as I add to fermenter and F.G. now.

drocu, - key to your mash will always be stable mash temp. Wrap your MT in towels or other insulation like material to keep your gravity constant and not sliding more than a degree. reheat at 30 minutes if needed. Get a good thermometer

Also try to mash with a thinner 50/50 mash/sparge ratio. That is, using about half of your water needs in your mash so you can mash, then batch sparge once for the remainder of your preboil needs.
Yeah I keep a jug of distilled water around and recal it every few batches. Only takes 2 seconds.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #139
Mparsons327
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have been using refractometers long enough to know that the slightest bump can throw them off. That being said I calibrate both of mine each time I use them. Are there any other salt water aquarium keepers here?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #140
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

+ 1 to beersmith. I think if there is one thing that will allow you to become more consistent and make better beer that has nothing to do with malt or hops... get brewing software. helps you track your stuff and dial in your system and repeat your brew results. Before I got BS, I just through in the hops in even amounts, never checked the AA%'s etc. I still made good brew but the batches were slightly different. Now I always balance the hop additions based on AA%'s and can get pretty darn close with repeating the flavors, and the entire process in general. It made me pay attention to the details.

Didn't even know that brewsmith had that feature!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply