The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 5 group grain buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
CBK
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I notified the local homebrew club about this grain buy with a possible Canandaigua pickup point. Hopefully this may spark some interest here in Rochester. If this does happen I will go for 1/3 GW-C60. Probably will also need more base malt but do not want to commit until I see where this is going.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

So jhenderson, when you confirm your ability to accept the order, please let me know and we will firm it up.

If you aren't sure about your participation, please don't post a request until you are sure. suffice it to say at this point it looks like it might be Canandaigua area.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 09-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
jhenderson27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I will have an official answer after the weekend. I dont see any issue but wanna just double check.

Go Big or Go Home!

It's not speed that kills, its the sudden stop that tends to hurt!

Big Gulp eh, Well See ya Later!

Old 09-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #14
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenderson27 View Post
I will have an official answer after the weekend. I dont see any issue but wanna just double check.
No sweat man - take your time. thanks for even considering

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 09-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
BWN
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Does anyone from up north ever get in on these buys? I am in Watertown and might be interested but unless I bought a lot I don't think I save much unless I could split the cost of gas with someone to drive to Canadaigua.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #16
jhenderson27
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cidah shouldnt be an issue but lets see the timing of this closing vs the closing of race season for me. I dont think this one will go all that fast so we should be good.

Go Big or Go Home!

It's not speed that kills, its the sudden stop that tends to hurt!

Big Gulp eh, Well See ya Later!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
rustbucket
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ok, well if this one takes off ill def be in for a couple things...

Old 09-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah I think this will take a bit to get going, but if jhenderson can receive we should be good to go.

So everybody feel free to place your bets and I will track. Plan on pick up with jhenderson. If we run into issues we can resolve them before we place the actual order.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 09-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #19
rustbucket
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

btw i had a brew day from hell on sunday!

1st started to show my friend the ropes and basically guided him through the process trying to get him to do it on his own with little help... i was not paying attention so when i had him grind up the grain.. it was the bucket full of rye (and only rye, not the mixed bucket that i had waiting) sadly to my knowlege i was not paying attention and started to mash with that... once the mash time finished i was trying to sparge, and it was coming out like syrup.. trying to figure out that, i came to realized after a little investigation that is was pure rye w/ 1/2 lb of rice hulls in the tun. so that had gotten thrown out in the compost, it was so thick i couldnt use it (killed like 16lbs of rye, even added 4 gallons to the mash to thin it up after, and was still like syrup)

2nd broke hydrometer right after measuring the gravity of the final brew (which i missed the pts by a good 6)

3rd was cleaning out the kettle, and caught my finger on the lip where i had cut the top of the keg off, sliced the tip of my thumb a good 1/4" deep from the tip into the nail straight up and down..

that was not a good day over all... a 4 hour brew turned into a 8 hour one... with only 5.5g of denny's rye ipa

Old 09-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #20
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
btw i had a brew day from hell on sunday!

1st started to show my friend the ropes and basically guided him through the process trying to get him to do it on his own with little help... i was not paying attention so when i had him grind up the grain.. it was the bucket full of rye (and only rye, not the mixed bucket that i had waiting) sadly to my knowlege i was not paying attention and started to mash with that... once the mash time finished i was trying to sparge, and it was coming out like syrup.. trying to figure out that, i came to realized after a little investigation that is was pure rye w/ 1/2 lb of rice hulls in the tun. so that had gotten thrown out in the compost, it was so thick i couldnt use it (killed like 16lbs of rye, even added 4 gallons to the mash to thin it up after, and was still like syrup)

2nd broke hydrometer right after measuring the gravity of the final brew (which i missed the pts by a good 6)

3rd was cleaning out the kettle, and caught my finger on the lip where i had cut the top of the keg off, sliced the tip of my thumb a good 1/4" deep from the tip into the nail straight up and down..

that was not a good day over all... a 4 hour brew turned into a 8 hour one... with only 5.5g of denny's rye ipa
Not good man! That is why I want to get a brew single or double tier rig going. Just to simplify the day. The electric already does that quite a bit, but I would LOVE to brew inside this year in my basement.

if it makes you feel any better I screwed up the last Denny's brew as awell, though I think I fixed it. My buddy missed the FWH and I didn't notice until the next day. Basically I brewed a 1/12 batch to get that bittering in there!! We will see if it worked!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply