Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, ny - round 5 group grain buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #101
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I use the dog food containers on wheels. I also have a couple huge plastic barrels that I put my overstock of 2row, etc. in. They have a sealing band on them (can give you more info on them if you need it).

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #102
DannSchuler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer View Post
What do you guys store your grains in?
Homer buckets, lots of them.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #103
jbsengineer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was thinking Home Depot buckets with the seal. Great. How long do you guys keep them in the buckets?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #104
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

let's put it this way - people on HBT report using grain stored like this (dry, airtight) over two years old and making great beer. Just don't crush it until you are going to use it. I can say that I have grain from when we first started the buys and it is still smelling super fresh.

I store the grain in its original bag (if I have it) and in the container

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 09-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #105
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'm relatively new to this but did some research when I first saw the group buys and knew I wanted to be able to store grains over a longer term. The best place to learn about storage is on various survivalist forums. Those folks take LONG TERM food storage seriously, and you can learn a lot. (For instance, there are techniques to store various foods for 25-30 years!). Anyway, from that my setup is:
1. Get FOOD GRADE containers (and lids) unless you are storing the grains in something that is food grade that you are putting in the container. HD buckets (the orange ones at least) are NOT food grade.
2.Lids with seals are good to use. An alternative is to use Gamma Seal lids. I showed on to Cidah when I picked up my grains. They are expensive, but really work well as you can twist them on/off and still get a great seal.
3.I'm storing some loose grains in containers w/Gamma seal lids, but for things I expect not to use for a longer period of time, I am first sealing them with a vacuum sealer and then keeping them in a sealed container. I managed to get this seal-a-meal from newegg for $25 shipped on sale, so look around for deals.
4.For even longer storage, air is you enemy, so the best route is to seal whatever your trying to store in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. Here's an example of some I bought (via Amazon), but haven't used yet. You can seal these with an iron, or there are tricks where you can use a seal-a-meal/foodsaver in conjunction with the mylar. (If anyone wants to know, I can look up some of the links).

The side benefit of a vacuum sealer is that I also use them for hops. Open the hops, use some, reseal and back into the fridge/freezer.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #106
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

There is a lot of controversy on whether or not the HD buckets are made from food grade plastic. I have never read definitive information that they are not (please post it up if you have). Thus far everything has been claiming proof by a lack of food grade certification. here is my understanding of this debate:

1. The buckets are marked (HDPE 2) with the same plastic rating that food grade buckets are.
2. Not all buckets with the HDPE 2 marking are "foodgrade."
3. However the buckets are not certified "food grade".
4. Any color bucket can be food grade, except for black.

Conclusion: So while the aren't certified food grade, they very well could be food grade buckets, just not certified because the buyers don't care to pay extra for a certification based on their end use.

I personally think you would be fine with them, and would avoid using them for transfer of hot liquids (though I have done that myself from time to time )

So you decide on how you want to use them. A HD bucket holds just under half a bag of grain depending on what it is. Half a bag of heavier (per piece) grains like wheat and rye will easily fit in a HD bucket

Those gamma lids are pretty cool. But I already invested in the doggy bins . I ahve considered getting some airtight containers for the specialty grains, but twisting up the bags and tossing them in the doggy bins works really well, and it is free!

The great thing about the grain buy is that you generally will save at least 3 times the cost of grain sold in a LHBS or online. So if you were to use 1/3 of the grain you buy and the rest went bad due to your own poor storage, you would still be paying regular price.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 09-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #107
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
There is a lot of controversy on whether or not the HD buckets are made from food grade plastic. I have never read definitive information that they are not (please post it up if you have). Thus far everything has been claiming proof by a lack of food grade certification. here is my understanding of this debate:

1. The buckets are marked (HDPE 2) with the same plastic rating that food grade buckets are.
2. Not all buckets with the HDPE 2 marking are "foodgrade."
3. However the buckets are not certified "food grade".
4. Any color bucket can be food grade, except for black.

Conclusion: So while the aren't certified food grade, they very well could be food grade buckets, just not certified because the buyers don't care to pay extra for a certification based on their end use.

I personally think you would be fine with them, and would avoid using them for transfer of hot liquids (though I have done that myself from time to time )

So you decide on how you want to use them. A HD bucket holds just under half a bag of grain depending on what it is. Half a bag of heavier (per piece) grains like wheat and rye will easily fit in a HD bucket

Those gamma lids are pretty cool. But I already invested in the doggy bins . I ahve considered getting some airtight containers for the specialty grains, but twisting up the bags and tossing them in the doggy bins works really well, and it is free!

The great thing about the grain buy is that you generally will save at least 3 times the cost of grain sold in a LHBS or online. So if you were to use 1/3 of the grain you buy and the rest went bad due to your own poor storage, you would still be paying regular price.
Cidah, I think the best way is to ask the manufacturer whose # is typically stamped on the bottom of the bucket. However, a search for "are home depot buckets food safe" turns up lots of discussion, including:
1. This thread (supposedly) contains email correspondence between someone and leaktite (the manufacturer of HD buckets).
Quote:
Philip,
Thank you for your email. Unfortunately the Orange Home Depot buckets are not designed for food storage. The bucket is manufactured for the paint and hardware industry and Leaktite does not recommend their use in contact with food.
Thank You,

Jay Brooks
Vice President National Accounts | Leaktite Corporation
(O) 978-870-1080 | (C) 978-855-4490 | (F) 978-534-3539
Email: jbrooks@leaktite.com
Also, this thread

2. Another thead discusses the Walmart 5 gallon WHITE paint buckets which apparently ARE food safe.

3. If you really want some bedtime reading (to put you to sleep), here's some FDA materials regarding packaging:
This link deals with Closures with sealing gaskets for food containers.
This link deals with the use of recyled plastic in containers.

The way I am playing it is that I have a set of food-safe containers that I bought (6 gallons each + the Gamma seal lids). In addition, I am accumulating known food-safe containers from my co-op ($1/each minus my member discount). For instance, I picked up a 5 gallon+ container that had Agave in it with a lid. I feel pretty confident given its contents that it is safe to use. Finally, I've bought some of the Walmart white buckets and also some HD lids. With these, I will make sure that the stuff I put in it is in some sort of a liner (or vacuum sealed in a sealer bag).

My motto is better safe than sorry, especially since it isn't that much difference cost wise in the end. (It's not like I am using the bucket one time and throwing it away.) However, your statement "So while the aren't certified food grade, they very well could be food grade buckets, just not certified because the buyers don't care to pay extra for a certification based on their end use. " may be true....but is it worth worrying about given you can find used known food-safe buckets for a buck?

Last edited by copyright1997; 09-22-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added last line

Old 09-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #108
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
Cidah, I think the best way is to ask the manufacturer whose # is typically stamped on the bottom of the bucket. However, a search for "are home depot buckets food safe" turns up lots of discussion, including:
1. This thread (supposedly) contains email correspondence between someone and leaktite (the manufacturer of HD buckets).

Also, this thread

2. Another thead discusses the Walmart 5 gallon WHITE paint buckets which apparently ARE food safe.

3. If you really want some bedtime reading (to put you to sleep), here's some FDA materials regarding packaging:
This link deals with Closures with sealing gaskets for food containers.
This link deals with the use of recyled plastic in containers.

The way I am playing it is that I have a set of food-safe containers that I bought (6 gallons each + the Gamma seal lids). In addition, I am accumulating known food-safe containers from my co-op ($1/each minus my member discount). For instance, I picked up a 5 gallon+ container that had Agave in it with a lid. I feel pretty confident given its contents that it is safe to use. Finally, I've bought some of the Walmart white buckets and also some HD lids. With these, I will make sure that the stuff I put in it is in some sort of a liner (or vacuum sealed in a sealer bag).

My motto is better safe than sorry, especially since it isn't that much difference cost wise in the end. (It's not like I am using the bucket one time and throwing it away.) However, your statement "So while the aren't certified food grade, they very well could be food grade buckets, just not certified because the buyers don't care to pay extra for a certification based on their end use. " may be true....but is it worth worrying about given you can find used known food-safe buckets for a buck?
I agree with the spirit of you point, don't get me wrong. My ultimate point is, at the end of the day will this have a significant impact on your health or the grain quality? I just don't think it will. I certainly could be wrong about that.

Do I think the beer we drink is more dangerous to your health than a nonfood safe certified plastic container in contact with your grain? Yes.

Just the same, I don't have any naked grain in bins, all my grain is in a grain bag or giant ziplock, then in the bins to reduce air contact

Good info though - I pretty much knew you would give us some good info on the subject (I knew you had done your homework), so thanks for that

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #109
rustbucket
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i bet you that the reason they are not food safe, (not the material itself) but because they probably lube the molds for injection molding with a petroleum based lube/oil instead of a food grade lube.

personally i dont care enough... to worry about it, i have much bigger things to worry about... (such as if ill have enough grain to keep brewing )

Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #110
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Haha. Rust, one strategy you could employ:

Risk mitigation of HD buckets:
1. Use grain as quickly as possible by brewing as frequently as possible to avoid contamination from long term storage.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply