The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, NY area - Group Grain Buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #511
rustbucket
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

haha, im a nerd when it comes to excel... (could be because i use it for everything, especially in school.. stupid engineering) but i was taking pre-boil gravity to see what my eff out of my mash-tun were, plus brew house efficiency.. exct.. i take every piece of data i can.. ..

when i get a good digital thermometer.. im going to take temp measurements of my mash tun and make a graph of temperature loss over the hour mash time.. (data point every 2-5 minutes... haha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #512
jhenderson27
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bed bath beyond. I got a awesome thermo. There that i can rin into my tun and constantly monitor without opening lid. Started at 155 for last mash and dropped only to 151-152 by end

Go Big or Go Home!

It's not speed that kills, its the sudden stop that tends to hurt!

Big Gulp eh, Well See ya Later!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #513
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think the thermal mass of the 10G batches helps to reduce the losses. On my batches I only lose about 1-2 degrees and we pop the lid to stir a couple times during the mash. This is mashing outside in the god awful cold too. I do throw towels on the top of the mashtun to help insulate.

That is the beauty of the electric herms I am working on. Automatically maintained mash temps, strike water temps, boils. Basically, you can sit back and bang a spoon on stuff to make it sound like you are working on on the brew - but you won't be, you will be sipping a brew

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #514
jhenderson27
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ha, trust me ive got the sipping portion down. I donn wanna go all fancy setup, i like the variables here and ther. Besides 2* isnt gonna change much to the average palate.

Go Big or Go Home!

It's not speed that kills, its the sudden stop that tends to hurt!

Big Gulp eh, Well See ya Later!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #515
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No problem with that!

I love brewing as is, but lately it seems like when I brew I also have to bottle, keg, clean carboys etc. All my work stuff is in the basement, while my brewing goes on in my driveway (nice to be able to safely leave the set up rocking while I do that). Plus, I will pay for my system in propane savings in the first year.

My set up isn't all fancy at all, very basic workhorse set up. I just got real peeved when my 185k btu @ss ripper of a burner was blown out due to wicked winds, which are common up here. That and, since all the brewing goes down at my house, and with some 90 minute boils, I have been killing my propane tanks regularly.

Not to mention it is just a really fin project to take on...

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #516
rustbucket
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i think that once i get a house of my own.. ill make and electric system for winter and crappy weather (cold) and keep my propane system for use during summer time.... while i sit in the garage and enjoy the nice warm breeze and sun.. ha (this is all saying that i don't build a garage with heat)

right now mine drops a good amount if i only fill the MLT half way.. i think once i get these brews that i have planned done for the year, i might move to 10g batches.. (im trying to get my system down right now and exploring new styles and recipes)

Old 04-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #517
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
i think that once i get a house of my own.. ill make and electric system for winter and crappy weather (cold) and keep my propane system for use during summer time....

right now mine drops a good amount if i only fill the MLT half way.. i think once i get these brews that i have planned done for the year, i might move to 10g batches.. (im trying to get my system down right now and exploring new styles and recipes)
Yeah with 10G in my current set up the mash really isn't a concern. If I want to do a 5G batch though, the dead head space creates a heat loss issue. My pots are 15g or 60 quart. So the Herms set up will be ideal for that. Honestly, I really only care about the boil and strike water usage for the 10 g batches. Using a 5500w element reduces your strike water heat up time and the time from your wort collection to boil.

My personal opinion is that when you step up to 10 gallon batches electric becomes more attractive. In the same vein, if you have larger pots but do smaller mashes, the electric herms is nice as well.

Necessary..., nope. Cool project with some big advantages? I think so. But then again I love to tinker so building it isn't work, its a lot of fun (plus you can sip on a brew while you build).

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #518
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Farmerjoe - just curious, when were you planning on grabbing your grain? No rush, just was making plans for my weekend and wanted to you if you were planning on swinging over.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #519
FarmerJoe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I won't be able to make it up until next weekend. Wanted to go this weekend, but I volunteered to pick up some extra hours at my part-time job this weekend. I didn't even think about the grain until half an hour I said yes to the hours , then I was pissed at myself lol.
So yea, I plan on going next weekend, I'm leaning towards Sunday, but I'll let you know for sure in a couple more days to see if it's good with you.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #520
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

ok sounds good.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info