Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Syracuse, NY area - Group Grain Buy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #101
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I thought about putting a bolt in there... but then thought... what if the bolt shears off?

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #102
FarmerJoe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That wouldn't be a good thing. But from what I read in that thread nobody has said anything about having that problem, and it seems a lot of those members have been using the power drill technique for a while. I'd recommend reading through the thread, it's VERY long, started back in early 08 I think, but there's a lot of useful information and tips to the corona-style mill. I've been reading it bit by bit for the past week and I'm still not done, but I got a lot of ideas for when I get mine next week.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #103
rustbucket
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

lol, 3/8 bolt if that is the size, would take a lot to shear. i dont think that you would be putting so much torque on it to do that. so i would not worry.

as for me, i had a machineshop available to me, so i made a roller barley crusher.. lol....

still trying to get it to work properly, but its only been together for about a week now.

aside from that fact, i had to repitch my yeast today cidah. my first starter didnt take off.... so i put some dry yeast on my arrogant bastard today.. hopefully that will take off
had problems yestruday with the whole brew....
~ mash temp was to low, tried numourus times to get it up to temp... so i added another 20 minutes of mash time to compensate for the lower mash temp (prob going to finish much lower than i would like for body)
~ boiled to much ended up with 4 gallons instead of 5.5 (had to add a gallon to get it to the right gravity)
~ yeast didnt do anything... had to repitch with s-05 from Wyeast 1056(washed)

but i hope it turns out well still... besides that my barleywine is taking off like a rocket 2 days still after!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #104
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Very cool - sucks about arrogant. Funny, mine was a bit of a "B" to start as well. I ended up tossing in a second jar of washed yeast because 24 hours after no signs of life from my starter - luckily it jumped up and is rolling (WL051).

rustbecucket - Any chance you still have access to that machine shop? Would love to get my hands on some rollers for a home made barley crusher. I just am too cheap right now to go for a new one.

I guess that I saw how powerful my drill was when I built my climbing gym in my garage. I sheared a few bolts there. The screw isn't 3/8 though in my mill (if it was I would already have put a drill on it), I think it is more like 1/4''. Either way - I will be automating it somehow 13lbs of grain is a PITA, would rather be brewing or having a brew.

I did check out the thread, some real ghetto rigs there ha! Good ideas though, doesn't have to be pretty!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #105
rustbucket
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

lol, my s-05 is starting to foam on top, so i think that means its starting, i havent used dry yeast in such a long time. in my starter i put two things of wash yeast in it.. and i didnt really take off or what i saw, so i though i would give it 12 hours in the fermenter with teh arrogant bastard (nothing) so i threw in s-05. i hope its good, either way they are both neutral yeast so.. should be find either way.

sorry no more access to machineshop.. it was at school, which i no longer have to go to anymore.

hmm, for the grinder, you could always hook up a small motor with a gear system on it (reduction of like 4:1 or something) saying you can get a motor that spins on the lower side of rpm

Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #106
FarmerJoe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

A little motor, good idea rustbucket. I've been looking for a fun DIY project, and that sounds like something I want to do. Now what can I take apart and steal the motor from...

Old 03-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #107
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I have an 1170rpm motor I use for my apple grinder, but I would have to get a pretty large pulley on it to slow it down enough to be suitable. And mounting the pulley would be a pain, the end part is a rounded tapered triangle.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #108
rustbucket
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

2 step gear reduction.. haha. just do a 2:1, that will be 585 then another 2:1 you will be at 298 i think that is much lower than a hand drill would be.

once i get my crusher working properly, ill be looking to run it by a motor... <250 rpm

Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #109
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Why not mount the pully on the bolt you would use for driving it with a drill? That would give you a much nicer platform to mount it to than the terrible cast end of a Corona.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:58 AM   #110
FarmerJoe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Also an idea that might work. I can't wait to get my mill next week after reading about how much you can mess with the things. They're like a cheap, crude piece of cast-iron that you can do just about anything to after you get them to give you a good crush. Seems like a lot of fun, and headaches too, but hopefully more fun

Quick Reply