The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Pittsburgh/Western PA Group Buy - Round 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #331
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Hmm ill have to check but I am pretty sure I got my 1/4 sack of c60.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #332
coyote68
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 34

dale, i also have a grain mill if you need to crush some grains. or i can pick them up and crush em for ya. i get off work at 7 am. and can meet ya. just give me a call.
joe

Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #333
shuggy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm not convinced that what I have is crystal anything. It is pretty dark and it smells like pale chocolate. When I got there the sack of C60 was already opened and it was clearly marked correctly. This grain I have was a new sack that Dylan brought in while I was there. After the PBW assault on my sinuses and senses it didn't really dawn on me that this grain can't possibly be right.

If that bag of Thomas Fawcett malt is still there see what kind of malt it says it is because TF doesn't even have a C15.

malt.jpg  

Old 04-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #334
zcrxt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for doing this! Hopefully I will jump in a little earlier next time. If anyone is interested in some Chocolate malt, I have a little extra then needed. Please let me know. Info below...

Bairds Chocolate Malt (450-500°L)
Made the same was as Bairds Black Malt, except that is roasted less to preserve a lighter color.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #335
dand9066
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121
Hmm ill have to check but I am pretty sure I got my 1/4 sack of c60.
I believe you took the quarter right before me kpr and I have the sack. Just went and double checked it and it is great western C60.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #336
shuggy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand9066 View Post
I believe you took the quarter right before me kpr and I have the sack. Just went and double checked it and it is great western C60.
Yup. That Great Western sack was plainly marked as C60. The C15 should have been a Great Western product as well. I have no idea what the hell I have. Somebody should still have that left over sack of Thomas Fawcett to actually check what it is. Their stuff is labeled goofy as far as crystal goes. I should have been more thorough. There were three other folks there at the same time and I was just trying to get out of the way.

Who else got the C15 split?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #337
bja
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggy View Post
Yup. That Great Western sack was plainly marked as C60. The C15 should have been a Great Western product as well. I have no idea what the hell I have. Somebody should still have that left over sack of Thomas Fawcett to actually check what it is. Their stuff is labeled goofy as far as crystal goes. I should have been more thorough. There were three other folks there at the same time and I was just trying to get out of the way.

Who else got the C15 split?
I got half of the C15 split. Picked it up Monday. Dylan opened a new sack which was marked C15. There was an opened sack there that wasn't clearly marked and appeared to be something fairly dark like C120.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #338
dand9066
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hop_head_76 was the other quarter split of c15

Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #339
trent_77590
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got my .25 split of C60. Dylan brought it out when I showed up. I really can't tell if it is or not by looking at it. Seems legit to me

Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #340
DMace
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Bruwsomtin had a friend pick up his grain this morning. On his sheet is a full bag of Thomas Fawcett Crystal Malt II - which according to their website is 65L. Since 25% of that bag was gone (what Shuggy has), I replaced it with the 25% of C-15 (that Shuggy should have).

Does that make sense?

I didn't want to short Bruwsomtin in total quantity. Hence the C-15 that I gave him. I hope everyone understands that supplying grain is not my profession. We ordered 39 different products from 12 different brand names... a few of which I am not familiar with. I'm not making excuses. I just hope that those involved in the mix up can empathize.

Two obvious solutions:

1) Shuggy and bruwsomtin can make arrangements to swap crystal malts.
2) Both parties can embrace the situation and agree to keep what they have

Since I am responsible, or at least partially responsible, for the mix up:

3) I'll buy the grain, or a portion of it, off of you. Let me know and you can either come to the pick up location, or I can meet you somewhere half way. I can always use Crystal no matter the lovibond. C-15 is awesome for IPAs and Pale's. C-65 is extremely versatile, but is especially great in a Boston Lager clone that I love.

I hope that satisfies everyone. If not, feel free to suggest your own solutions. I hope we can still consider this a successful grain buy and this mix up doesn't deter anyone from participating next time.

Quick Reply