New England Grain Buy Sept 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyirishman34

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The order is Closed

This buy is open to everyone and the pickup location will be in Concord, Ma about 10 minutes off Rt 2

See the signup sheet here. The sheet is open
1. Need 128 sacks to order. Additional pallets can be added if there is demand for them in increments of 42 Sacks.

2. People will have to come and pick up their bags at the drop off location on a specific date and time after the order has been received. This will most likely be a Saturday morning (10am-12pm) following arrival of shipment. Volunteers would be appreciated to help sort and split grain s about an hour prior to pickup depending on the size of the order. All orders will be sorted prior to any being released.

3. We are only going to order one type of Pale Malt and one Type of 2 Row malt. They will be CM-2ROW and CM-PALE. If you add any other type of Pale or 2 Row malt it will be changed to CM-PALE or CM-2ROW. For the folks that want organic I am going to add GW-O2RP. Also I would rather just have one MOPA ordered if you could only order TF-MOPA that would be great.

4.The pricing on the spreadsheet is an approximation but will be close to actual.

We buy directly through NCM - this means that we will get true wholesale bulk pricing!
~$30 2Row + shipping (~$8)
~$40 Marris Otter + shipping (~$8)

To see the catalog, go
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxSLQbVFAE0wOFVhRHdQejBQZ0U/edit?usp=sharing

Pricing (Use 2000#+ pricing)
Pricing on the spread sheet is an estimate. Plan for $8 per bag for shipping cost and (no tax) on your portion of the order. The prices should be pretty darn close but may vary slightly.

The pricing on this sheet has carried over from the last group buy and some may not be accurate. It would also be helpful if someone would verify the price per Lb and sack weight is accurate. Please let me know about any corrections needed and I will take care of it.

Cleaning Chemicals carry an additional HAZMAT surcharge and this cost will be spread out over all the chemical purchases. The first order entered on the sheet will see this entire charge added but as more chemical purchases are added it will automatically be adjusted.

Plug for square cash: free and faster than PayPal. Like it's minutes and the money is in your account

The chemicals is that like if I wanted pbw?

I'm in. Any south shore brewers want to get together on pickup? I'd be happy to give some gas money if someone wants to grab my 2 bags. Thanks!

Thanks to Donovan and Aslander for organizing and receiving.

I'm in. Not sure how many sacks I want quite yet but I'll enter in for just 2 for now. Thanks a lot.

Hey everyone don't forget there is a donation section at the bottom of the page. The buy takes a lot of effort to run and receive so don't forget to show your appreciation. It makes continuing to do the buy possible.

I would be in for a Hartford Area pick up... I would be willing to throw some gas money the way of someone who could pick up some bags for me.

Schecter - You tacked on to a closed split of BZ-VIEN. I moved it to a new split, so there's half a bag open if anyone else is interested.

Schecter - You tacked on to a closed split of BZ-VIEN. I moved it to a new split, so there's half a bag open if anyone else is interested.

I just plugged in the other half bag of BZ-VIEN.....and a couple full bags for now....will probably add some more after I look at my inventory and future recipes.

Also, when the time comes, I'd be happy to come down on pick up day and help organize/weigh/split/carry/load.....etc. Count me in for that.

Thanks guys for putting this together again!

For those of you that are ordering a lot of splits, it would be nice if you can bring your buckets and show up slightly early when we do it so you can help with splitting or sorting bags.

Right now we don't have a ton of splits, but wanted to throw that out there before it potentially got out of hand.

Happy brewing!

Whoops, sorry about that. I have this bug going around Framingham and I'm on a lot of fun cold meds...anyone else sick? I've reached a high score of 101F so far. Maybe I'll aim to start a starter on my forehead...

Thanks for babysitting aslander.

I'll also try and make it to pitch in to sort grain. Maybe I'll bring a friend to do grunt work too. Possibilities are high.

I know it's kinda up in the air right now, but is there a ROUGH estimate of the receiving date? I'm getting married in 11 days (omg...) and will be in Cali for a bit. Hope it doesn't overlap.

I know it's kinda up in the air right now, but is there a ROUGH estimate of the receiving date? I'm getting married in 11 days (omg...) and will be in Cali for a bit. Hope it doesn't overlap.

Congrats! I think you will be fine. This buy is filling up much slower than previously, so I think it will take us a couple weeks to even fill it (not counting Donovan collecting money, putting in the order, and waiting for it to be delivered).

Either way, I'm okay with holding onto the grain for people if there is a conflict and they can't make it. As long as everyone doesn't do that ;)

Normally it runs about 2 months from start to finish. I was expecting this would fill fast since I had not run one in a couple of months. Some times it takes a couple weeks to get going then just fills up.

10-4! Im down to help sort.

I can help pick up some bags (sacks) if needed for those in Connecticut. I live in Coventry RI. I have dry storage for a week or two if required.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting and my first time doing a group buy...I hope I don't mess anything up! Thanks to all of you for organizing this. I just wanted to send a quick message saying 'hi' and noting that I just entered what I would like in the sheet, just a couple bags of the basics--2-row, Maris Otter, Pilsner. I'm just down in Providence and could help out with whatever you all need when the order comes in. Thanks again!

Josh MacLeod

Your entry in the sheet looks good Josh. And welcome to the board!

I have a couple Bourbon casks that I wanted to fill. They are 53 gallons so it is a ton of beer just for me to fill alone. There are 2 other folks that want to join so I need about 20 more gallons to fill the cask. My plan is to fill one with Barley Wine and one with Russian Imperial. The beer would go in post fermentation then come out about 12 months later. Then we would have a big bottling day or 2. I have a champagne corker so if folks wanted to do some cork finished that is possible. If you want in on the big brew just let me know. Post here and send me a PM. Just an FYI the recipe takes about 40# of grain for the barley wine.

I am in for 2.5 sacks at the moment. I just sent a message to my cousins who I brew with to see if they had any interest. If they do I might be good for another sack.

I started a split for Best Maltz Red X. It is a dark base malt that can self convert and is a bit less sweet and full than Munich. Seems cool for doing a Red IPA SMaSH or altbier or other experimentation.

There is a good thread on it here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/red-x-malt-458487/

That malt sounds quite interesting, is it new or what? I've never come across a recipe calling for that.

That malt sounds quite interesting, is it new or what? I've never come across a recipe calling for that.

I hadn't heard of it until I checked out the Best Malz website. Figured it would be a cool malt to experiment with on the cheap if some folks wanted to go in on a bag.

Hey anyone looking for cheap 22oz cases of bottles? I am thinking of setting up a buy they would be $11 a case delivered. Maybe cheaper if we get more people.

Back