New Chicago Group Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wernerherzog

Reaction score
I've already run out of the grain I ordered from the last group buy and I've noticed a lot of interest on the old thread. Let's try and squeeze one more in before poor weather makes delivery to the usual locale impossible. We're aiming for the first week in December at the latest.

Due to the rush everyone should assume the highest rates on the order form (rather than the slightly discounted ones from hitting above 1000 lbs). One should also keep in mind that the shipping will be split the same way as before. You'll assume a shipping fee proportionate to the amount of grain that you've ordered. The pricing of grain will be lowered if we reach the requisite amounts.

We'll have to try and speed this one along before the inclement weather shuts it down. PM user, 'niilo' for orders, including the brand and type. If you have any questions send me a message. As before, please have all split-orders worked out before submitting.

This order, though still shipped to the previous location, will not be supervised by bmason or demon. Bmason said he'd vouch for me and Niilo on this thread, though, if that helps some of you.

Cheers.

I was going to post a new group buy tonight. You beat me to it. If you have questions or need the catalog please pm me. Also send orders through me. I will have a Spreadsheet in the next few days with everyone's orders.

if everyone wants to post their order here to have a public record, that's just as fine, too. I'll be checking it frequently to keep track.

To be more specific about the weather situation, the delivery point doesn't have a dock for unloading pallets. That means we need to use a forklift, which won't be possible in icy/snowy weather conditions. Therefore, the quicker we settle and pay, the better! Already had about 14 sacks or so before starting this thread between me and some others so I'm hoping we can fill up quick.

Hey guys, I'm looking to get two sacks and I figure since we're all looking for volume I'm looking for suggestions. I'm an ale brewer, ordered a sack of MO JUST 3 days ago from 50#sack but I'm looking to get two more. I'm thinking a sack of 2 row but what else might be versatile for me? Is Vienna or Munich going to be particularly useful? Or what kind of crystal would be good/most opportune to split? Maybe someone likes wheat malt?

Hey guys, I'm looking to get two sacks and I figure since we're all looking for volume I'm looking for suggestions. I'm an ale brewer, ordered a sack of MO JUST 3 days ago from 50#sack but I'm looking to get two more. I'm thinking a sack of 2 row but what else might be versatile for me? Is Vienna or Munich going to be particularly useful? Or what kind of crystal would be good/most opportune to split? Maybe someone likes wheat malt?

two row is a base that can be used for many beer styles so I definitely would order 1 or 2 sacks of that. If you plan on making golden ales then maybe some Pilsen might be a good choice. Vienna is one of my go to malts so that is another possibility. My suggestion is that whatever you think you need just add 1 more sack. Trust me...

two row is a base that can be used for many beer styles so I defineatly would order 1 or 2 sacks of that. If you plan on making golden ales then maybe some Pilsen might be a good choice. Vienna is one of my go to malts so that is another possibility. My suggestion is that whatever you think you need just add 1 more sack. Trust me...

I'm on for for sacks. 2 MO, 1 2 row, and one Vienna. PM me whatever you need. In fact, if it would push us up to the next level, I'd take one or two more sacks.

rocktheknife, what sort of beers are you gearing up to make? If Belgian, sour, or lager, look into pilsener as a base. If ale, look into pale or 2-row as a base. Crystal is always very nice to have on hand. I already have some crystal but I'm sure some people might be enticed into splitting a sack with you, just post up a notification. It's useful for most ale styles in small quantities. Roast, black, and darker crystal are nice for darker ales like porters and stouts. Vienna and Munich will add complexity to Saisons, Belgians, some Lagers, or even imperial pales if you're adventurous. Wheat is good for wheat beers (50 percent of the grain bill or less) and also to add complexity to other styles.

The biggest question is: What do you plan on brewing?

Wernerherzog said:
The biggest question is: What do you plan on brewing?

Well I guess that's what I'm starting to find out. I just got my all grain system up an running and have so far done one black Ipa. With my Maris otter I'm planning a foreign stout a porter and an esb in the works. Ill probably want to do a brown and a red to finish out winter. In the spring I'll probably be looking at doing a simple APA, maybe another India, and starting to look to Belgians and Weisse for summer quaffables. All in all I'm thinking maybe an american pale malt rather than 2-row and split sacks of wheat malt and crystal 60 or 40. Anybody up to split yet? :)

So want to get in on this again, but I have 40 gallons of beer in the pipeline just waiting for free kegs. Still have plenty of Pilsener, Wheat, and Munich left - so if I'm in a bind, that should tide me over.

See you guys in the Spring!

We are pushing 30 sacks already! Hopefully we can have it filled by next Friday and put the order in with a delivery date sometime the first week of December. If you are still interested in purchasing please pm me. Thanks. Cheers!

Niilo

The actual prices will be on the quote from the distributor. They usually vary by a few cents a pound only.

Sent from my Android phone using Home Brew Talk

That's the low, the high is like 39, that's what it's going to cost for thomas fawcett marris otter. Most stuff is in between, closer to the 30 than the 40. Specialty is higher, like the thomas fawcett.

talked to Niilo earlier and it sounds like there's a pretty good chance we've hit the limit. There may have to turn away someone. He said he's not at home currently but would count it up later when he is. If we're not at capacity we'll only need a couple more to get there.

It's full now. Sorry for those who didn't get back to me in time. This one filled up very fast. Look forward to another buy in early spring.

I wonder if there's enough interest to get 2 pallets I this current buy?

Sent from my Android phone using Home Brew Talk

Hey everyone. We are reopening this for a second pallet. Let me know what you guys want. Hopefully get this one filled in the next week so we could still get an early December delivery. For those of you that are on the first pallet Click Here for the spreadsheet. Please double and triple check everything. Message me if you want to pay for it now or we can wait til the second in filled. Message me if you need the catalog too.

Niilo,
Beautiful I am in for at least 2 sacks of Canadian 2-row and consider a split or two ...I will be more specific in an email this evening when I can check my stash and winter brewlist... Thank you...

Back