Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > MD/DC grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #1361
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 9

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/dc-...5/#post5032592

This is the link to buy #1. Please use that one for posting what you want. We can keep this thread going for questions and discussions. After the buy is full, I will close the above thread and open a new one each time that way I have all the purchases for a buy in one thread and don't have to sort through this one as it has been going a long time. If we can keep the other one dedicated to just I want xx grains posts, it will make it easier on me I think. We can use this thread to talk about other things. We'll see how that goes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #1362
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebrewer View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/dc-...5/#post5032592

This is the link to buy #1. Please use that one for posting what you want. We can keep this thread going for questions and discussions. After the buy is full, I will close the above thread and open a new one each time that way I have all the purchases for a buy in one thread and don't have to sort through this one as it has been going a long time. If we can keep the other one dedicated to just I want xx grains posts, it will make it easier on me I think. We can use this thread to talk about other things. We'll see how that goes.
Thanks for setting this up stonebrewer.

Two quick questions:

1) Which price list are we using for buy #1?
2) Where is pickup?

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #1363
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL

Recipes 

I am using both price lists for buy #1. From what I have seen in the past, there are going to be folks that want the cheaper base grains, and others who will want some of the variety that the other list has. We will see how this goes and if the group gravitates toward one or the other, or if we need to continue with both sources.

Pickup will be at my house in Rockville. Once we get this thing off the ground I will PM folks that are in the buy with the address and dates/times to pickup.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #1364
pagerage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I notice that both lists don't have DME. Was that a "no go" for either LHBS?

Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #1365
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagerage View Post
I notice that both lists don't have DME. Was that a "no go" for either LHBS?
Not a no go, my focus to get started was on grain. If you want me to look into prices for DME, I can. I need to talk to Stefin sometime and pick his brain about trends when he was doing this. I don't use LME or DME very often but that doesn't mean I can't add it to the list if people want it. Just need to get a feeling for what people are going to want.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #1366
Olive Drab
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i bought 200# of dme through him

Old 03-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #1367
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 673 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 264

DME is a pain to deal with as soon as the bag is opened (regardless of whether it is opened voluntarily or accidentally). as long as the bag is kept sealed and unbroken, i'm sure it's fine. the consequences of a broken bag of DME can't be pretty. you can just sweep up spilled grains. DME, not so much.

suggestion: letting people split a bag of DME at your place is a bad idea... have them haul away the whole thing and let them deal with that elsewhere

rain could also be a huge pain. i'm not sure what type of fiber/paper/etc DME is packaged in, but i pray to the beer gods that it's waterproof. if it isn't, and the bag gets rained upon... yuck. you'd need a jackhammer to break that thing up afterwards. i'm assuming the manufacturer has thought of this.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #1368
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
DME is a pain to deal with as soon as the bag is opened (regardless of whether it is opened voluntarily or accidentally). as long as the bag is kept sealed and unbroken, i'm sure it's fine. the consequences of a broken bag of DME can't be pretty. you can just sweep up spilled grains. DME, not so much.

suggestion: letting people split a bag of DME at your place is a bad idea... have them haul away the whole thing and let them deal with that elsewhere

rain could also be a huge pain. i'm not sure what type of fiber/paper/etc DME is packaged in, but i pray to the beer gods that it's waterproof. if it isn't, and the bag gets rained upon... yuck. you'd need a jackhammer to break that thing up afterwards. i'm assuming the manufacturer has thought of this.
I kept a tarp around... but only ever had to use it once. the DME is fairly well sealed in there, the Breiss and GW stuff was much worse, as it was one layer plastic.

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #1369
pagerage
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

That would be great if DME could be included. I'm only interested in full sacks so no split is necessary. Actually I'm looking to pick up 200-250 lbs. I'm bummed with the increase from CMG because the previous price was great. Very interested what these guys can do.

Seriously though, this is great the group buys are able to keep going!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #1370
pagerage
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just checking to see if you heard back about the DME?

Quick Reply