Houston, TX Group Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys are needing to fill the pallet I might suggest you guys look at some specialty grain splits. It has helped fill our pallets in the past.

Anyone live closer to Corpus? I'd be in for at least 3 bags if I can either split gas or pick up closer to Corpus.

I'm in Sugar Land as well. Good to know, maybe we can work out something on pickup for those in Sugar Land.

Anybody else in our area want to look at specialty grain splits?

Ron

I might be willing to get more grain, if I knew what was available and prices. I'd also be willing to buy a few caps if enough people were able too split. I'd also be in for some hops if we can get prices and availability as well. Thanks!

Yeah if we can get some list or website to view our options we could probably have 40 bags fairly quickly. Not trying to be a dick just curious what is possible to buy so everyone can decide definitely.

Would like two other people be interested in buying like 3 different crystals or other specialty grain? If the ten people we have right now all split 3 bags between groups of three we could have 9 more sacks for the price of one per person. Obviously yall understand this already, though my wording is very confusing, just trying to get this moving cause I'm gunna need some grain soon.

come on someone has to be closer to corpus. I'd be in for 4 sacks and some crystal malt if gas wasn't 3.50 a gallon.

Seeing that you are doing hops too, I'd be interested in a lb of Centennial and Cascade.

Wish I could help out with grains but im a PM apartment brewer sorry.

Is this officially dead? It doesn't seem like we are getting anywhere near 40 sacks. Maybe we should go with Plan B, which was to place an order with Brew It Yourself in Spring.

I don't know man...I was wanting to bump it but since no one was responding to my previous post I figured I would wait and see. I'm down for either method, I'm going to need grain soon with all the hops I plan to order shortly. I'm trying to come up with ways to get more people like if anyone is in a club that could possibly get other brewers or maybe we should PM everyone who wanted in, already, about specialty grains.

Ok I would be in for any basic crystal 20, 40, 60 ect. one of vienna/munich/biscuit, if your interested kingwood, and maybe some wheat if your interested dodo. Others list what you might want so we can match up with each other. LarMoe I live in galveston so I'm not much help but you could always make a vacation out of the trip. I'm really trying to get this to work so sorry if I'm annoying.

If everyone else cared as much as you Mr Buscemi, we'd be somewhere. But it doesn't seem like this group buy will work, and I need grain soon. Sorry.

Well I can understand not having faith in the commercial buy but I see no reason why we could not contact Ray at brew it yourself and atleast get a slight discount. Wish Josh would reply on here, his PM's are sadly full.

Guys, I'm just now getting back into brewing after a long hiatus of about 10 years and just now getting my hardware built back. First batch of hefe just came off but not very good, have some equipment adjustments to make, anyway, nothing in the pipeline yet. I've noticed some of the other successful group buys start with a price sheet and then a series replies with the user and his order. each reply copies the previous order list and adds or adjusts his until the total needed is reached. I haven't seen any of that type organization in this thread. Josh was pretty motivated a few months ago but I believe without an organized method of building the order list or a verified grain source and published price sheet this thing was destined to fall apart. If anyone can verify a source and publish a price sheet and we organize like other group buys have done it may have a chance.

I cannot upload the PDF because it's 2 MB in size. The company is Country Malt Group. Same company that the majority of other Group Buys use. Why don't we start a new count because the on-going count is probably useless now. It's been going on for several months. At times, it gets no attention. And at times, it gets a lot of attention. Some people are canceling, some people are wanting to add hops, grains, bottlecaps, ect in a string of different emails. If everyone could make up their mind with one single post starting today on what they'd like to purchase, it would be much more clear. I'm pretty sure we're close to 40 bags. I travel about 90% of the time and don't have the ability to check this on a daily or sometimes even weekly basis. If someone else would like to take over this thread, that is fine with me. I'm still in for a couple bags of grain. I'll be glad to pass on the PDF to anyone's email address but I do not have capabilities via homebrewtalk since my inbox is continually full since I'm only allowed 5 messages total. I don't think Country Malt Group Publishes this price sheet online. I received it through customer service phone number.

Let me help you guys out a bit, 42 sacks of grain fit on a pallet. Unless you are buying 11lb of each variety the pricing isn't the best around. You can buy grains, DME, LME, and chemicals. I have done 4 buys through CMG and they do make some mistakes, so you have to stay on top of everything. If you guys have any questions feel free to PM me, I get like 25,000 PM's.

Awesome glad to see this is progressing, before I list what I want is there a specific company we want to buy the grain from like only the Great Western company on the pdf, as to get a greater discount or should we choose from any of the companies?

Ok I'll take 1 BZ-PILS, 1 BD-MOPA, 1 CM-2ROW and if anyone wants to split wheat or munich from them and from Baird I could split some of their carastan.
If we need more in the end I can always add a bag or two, I'm really wanting to get this done, as you can tell.
Also could buy some caps if anyone else want too.
Oh and thanks 1234

A great way to help fill the pallet is do a lot of speciality malt splits. Crystal malts are also nice to have on hand.

I just PM'd everyone(except regulation his inbox is full) that was interested with the .pdf. Lets gets some cheap grain.

Ok I'm not actually ordering just trying to get people active. There's a couple options for the 2-row but the canadian is what I want because its the cheapest at $.49/lb and it comes in a 55lb bag. You could also get the american for $.57/lb in a 50lb bag. Let is know the specific company you would like it from, so Joshaw50 can place the order later.
My inbox is empty so feel free to PM me again if you want.

EDIT: My numbers might be a little high because I quoted the largest price, I think our price would be in the 2,000lb price so might be a few cents less on both.

OK I'll try again I guess...

I will take 2 sacks of Canadian 2-row (CM-2ROW) and one of Rye (CM-RYEM). If someone else is interested in splitting the Rye, maybe we could add in a sack of rice hulls (GP-RICE).

Ok I'm not actually ordering just trying to get people active. There's a couple options for the 2-row but the canadian is what I want because its the cheapest at $.49/lb and it comes in a 55lb bag. You could also get the american for $.57/lb in a 50lb bag. Let is know the specific company you would like it from, so Joshaw50 can place the order later.
My inbox is empty so feel free to PM me again if you want.

EDIT: My numbers might be a little high because I quoted the largest price, I think our price would be in the 2,000lb price so might be a few cents less on both.

pM sent

Fawcett Maris Otter, Fawcett Golden Promise, Great Western 2 Row, Gambrinus Munich Light, and Gambrinus Pilsen.

Would also be interested in splitting some black malt, crystal 40, or just about anything else.

1 TF-GPRM
1 TF-MOPA
1 GW-2ROW
1 GB-PILS
1 GB-MUNH10

You guys seem to have a lot of questions about how to get this done, let me help out just a little. Don't buy hops with your grain, how many people are going to want the same type of hops? To get the price for hops that was in the spreadsheet you have to order 11lb's of that variety of hop. Shipping worked out to just a little over $2 a sack for us, not sure where you grain would be shipped from. If you do order 1 pallet of grain the prices you need to look at are the 2,000-4,000 prices. You do not have to fill the pallet to have it shipped to you. PBW and Star San are priced really cheaply when you buy the PBW in a 50lb pail and the Star San in the 4 one gallon case.

If anybody has any questions please feel free to PM me.

Back