Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Hops Group Buy in Chicago #1
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #661
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewfrank View Post
Sounds good to me....any more thought given about a brew club?
I think the club formation is going to happen but not until next month. Too much going on at the moment. For those that want to form and belong to a new club start thinking about what you envision the club being about. I have a good understanding of what I do not want it to be about given my negative experiences at another local Chicago club.
Gothic_Horror Likes This 
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #662
Neopol
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I propose: The existence of Sasquatch in breweries around Chicago (shes a homebrewer), Frank Zappa music, World Domination (go big or go home) and oh yeah Beer (how we got on the previous 3 topics).

BREWMUTT

Don't you know there aint no devil...thats just god when hes drunk!

bmason1623 Likes This 
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #663
Gothic_Horror
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 155

It seems that a number of beer related events that encourage homebrewers to submit beer want you to be a member of a club, so that would be one thing. Form a club for participating in brewing events. Do we get discounts on purchases from places for being a club member? Maybe an event, once a year, maybe in the summer, maybe at Bill's place where people can come, share their homebrews we brewed using the ingredients procured from group buys. Have general technique discussions. I don't use pumps or other electronics in my brewing, I would like to learn. How about we have a competition with the group using the same basic wort but then giving it our own flare. Similar to the Bell's brewing homebrew competition. Just some general ideas. All about the beer tho. The sharing and drinking of beer must be priority.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #664
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic_Horror View Post
It seems that a number of beer related events that encourage homebrewers to submit beer want you to be a member of a club, so that would be one thing. Form a club for participating in brewing events. Do we get discounts on purchases from places for being a club member? Maybe an event, once a year, maybe in the summer, maybe at Bill's place where people can come, share their homebrews we brewed using the ingredients procured from group buys. Have general technique discussions. I don't use pumps or other electronics in my brewing, I would like to learn. How about we have a competition with the group using the same basic wort but then giving it our own flare. Similar to the Bell's brewing homebrew competition. Just some general ideas. All about the beer tho. The sharing and drinking of beer must be priority.
These are some very good ideas.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #665
Neopol

Recipes 

Yes very good ideas indeed.
Anyone spinning up that 3711 saison yeast yet? If so and your fairly local, I'd love to grab a little pipette of it. I've only got 1056 in a pitchable state currently I am going to thaw and start up some 2308 Munich lager over the weekend.

BREWMUTT

Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #666
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopol
Yes very good ideas indeed.
Anyone spinning up that 3711 saison yeast yet? If so and your fairly local, I'd love to grab a little pipette of it. I've only got 1056 in a pitchable state currently I am going to thaw and start up some 2308 Munich lager over the weekend.
I've got a batch fermenting with 3711 now. Not sure if that helps you. It's taking its sweet time to finish.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #667
Neopol

Recipes 

Spiff, oh yeah and you are very local. All belgians take their time and only get better, how many weeks in and what abv are you shooting for? What generation is the yeast? I'll buy you a beer or two in trade for a ball jar of it if she ferments nicely for you.

BREWMUTT

Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #668
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopol
Spiff, oh yeah and you are very local. All belgians take their time and only get better, how many weeks in and what abv are you shooting for? What generation is the yeast? I'll buy you a beer or two in trade for a ball jar of it if she ferments nicely for you.
Making a Saison du Buff clone that is supposed to clock in at 7%. Today is day 10 and it's still chugging away. It was at 1.012 yesterday so it should still have a little to go. The krausen has mostly dropped but I'm still getting a bubble every 5-6 seconds. I'm making this for my brother for Christmas and kind of underestimated how long fermentation would take!

It's first gen from the smack pack. I'm happy to share a jar although fair warning, I've only washed yeast once before. It did work though! I've still got a dry hop to go once fermentation is done. Hopefully that will hit this weekend so I've got plenty of time to transfer and wash. I'll shoot you a PM once I've got it to arrange getting you a jar.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #669
Neopol

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post

Making a Saison du Buff clone that is supposed to clock in at 7%. Today is day 10 and it's still chugging away. It was at 1.012 yesterday so it should still have a little to go. The krausen has mostly dropped but I'm still getting a bubble every 5-6 seconds. I'm making this for my brother for Christmas and kind of underestimated how long fermentation would take!

It's first gen from the smack pack. I'm happy to share a jar although fair warning, I've only washed yeast once before. It did work though! I've still got a dry hop to go once fermentation is done. Hopefully that will hit this weekend so I've got plenty of time to transfer and wash. I'll shoot you a PM once I've got it to arrange getting you a jar.
Sounds great, how did the sample taste? Is it throwing the crazy phenolics? How did your fermentation temp schedule go?

No experience with this 3711 strain but very eager to run a peppercorn/orange farmhouse, the other belgians I've used take me to 6 to 8 weeks for 9-12%abv. Slow little monks, but damn tastey.

If you're not confident in your washing procedure, I'd be happy to take a trub/yeast mix with a little beer cover, I'll clean it and reculture it up.

Take your time, let the beer tell you when she's ready.

BREWMUTT

Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #670
starman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

When you get your 3711 use some that TF&S rye on this.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply