Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Group grain buy Pittsburgh / Western PA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #311
dand9066
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithinchaos
do you have a location that can receive the order?
If we are able to move forward DMase has a place Monroeville

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #312
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Im in for helping sort, stack, split as necessary. Whatever it takes to get this ball rolling. I am in for multiple sacks, splitting batches similar to sleepy/bug did if people are interested in half sacks of vienna, munich, etc. Would even be cool with splitting up crystals if there is enough interest (maybe 10 people want 5 lbs each of crystal 10/20).

I am sick of paying LHBS prices for grain!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 03-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #313
fredtheseal
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I am also willing to help with any sorting/stacking. I live in Monroeville so I'm close to the delivery point.

How do you guys typically store your full sacks of grain? I use air tight containers (Vittles Vaults I believe) right now, but they are pretty expensive and I only have 2. I'd like to stock up as much as possible but not sure about storage.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #314
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheseal
I am also willing to help with any sorting/stacking. I live in Monroeville so I'm close to the delivery point.

How do you guys typically store your full sacks of grain? I use air tight containers (Vittles Vaults I believe) right now, but they are pretty expensive and I only have 2. I'd like to stock up as much as possible but not sure about storage.
5 gallon buckets from Lowes. Also old plastic ale pails decommissioned from fermenting.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #315
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheseal View Post

I use food grade 6 gallon (plus some 5 gallon) with gamma seal lids, or use a mylar (food grade) liner for buckets that aren't food-grade. (I've gotten a bunch of my food grade buckets from my local organic food co-op for less than $1/each.) For specialty grains, I use a vacuum sealer and break it up into likely usable chunks, e.g. 1# for things like C60, C120, etc. Here's a couple of pictures. The last picture is about a third of the grain I bought in the last Syracuse area buy (I live near Albany NY but have family in Pittsburgh). Until I get around to allocating it to buckets (need two 6 gallon buckets per sack), I'm storing it in big plastic bins. I have the buckets needed but am working on sealing a bunch of specialty grains first.

I hope you guys get this going, it's great getting the grains at a greatly reduced price, and it makes it just so easy to just go to the basement, grab the bucket of 2-row (or Maris Otter, Vienna, Munich, etc) along with a grabbing a couple specialty grains (C15, C40, C60, C120, C150, carapils, amber, aromatic, ...) and your on your way. [The downside is the large assortment of bins and buckets, the freezer half full with hops and the refrigerator half full with washed yeast!]. Also, if you get a regular thing going, I might participate as I visit family in Pittsburgh a few times a year!
grain-1.jpg   grain-3.jpg   grain-6.jpg  

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 03-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #316
hio3791
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi! First time jumping on this thread. Depending on cost, I may be in for 2 or 3 sacks of 2row. Gives me a reason to buy a grain mill! LOL

Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 AM   #317
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I was in for the last group buy. I'll buy another 2 bags. Let me know how I can help.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #318
dand9066
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ITS A GO!!!

GROUP BUY ROUND 2 FOR PITTSBURGH

Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #319
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand9066 View Post
I see you are using the spreadsheet (or something similar as I don't have access to it) to what we used in the Syracuse area buy. It worked great, just remember to have folks also post (if possible) what they did in the forum as it helps to make sense of the changes in the spreadsheet.

Good luck on your buy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see you at 2 or 3 pallets (on our last one we did 4)! Also, you should take advantage of the awesome price on Star San (can get it in sets of 4 gallons, item 5S‐STAR4) and PBW (item 5S‐PBW50, 50# bag). The PBW is a somewhat of a pain however it that it is one big bag and would need to be split up (and you want to wear a mask to do so). These also take space on the pallet and reduce the # of sacks you can get (but all the more reason to get to multiple pallets!)

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 03-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #320
dand9066
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997
I see you are using the spreadsheet (or something similar as I don't have access to it) to what we used in the Syracuse area buy. It worked great, just remember to have folks also post (if possible) what they did in the forum as it helps to make sense of the changes in the spreadsheet.

Good luck on your buy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see you at 2 or 3 pallets (on our last one we did 4)! Also, you should take advantage of the awesome price on Star San (can get it in sets of 4 gallons, item 5S‐STAR4) and PBW (item 5S‐PBW50, 50# bag). The PBW is a somewhat of a pain however it that it is one big bag and would need to be split up (and you want to wear a mask to do so). These also take space on the pallet and reduce the # of sacks you can get (but all the more reason to get to multiple pallets!)
I pretty much went off your Syracuse template. Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply