The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Group Buy in Chicago #7

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #891
PseudoChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PseudoChef's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)
Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

I've had it, yet I will be of no help. I don't remember it being that estery in the yeast department, however.

__________________
PseudoChef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #892
jmg727
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jmg727's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 117
iTrader: (0)
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
I've had it, yet I will be of no help. I don't remember it being that estery in the yeast department, however.
No it was not. I could ferment in the low 60's but I think I'd trade lower spice for lower ester.
__________________

You can't always get what you want, but when you find what you need, buy two of them ...

jmg727 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #893
cadwallion
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sycamore, IL
Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)
Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1623
Just received an email from the supplier. The only items out of stock are Toasted Chips and PBW-8# containers (they only have two available at the moment). I asked if we could place these items on back order and am still awaiting a reply. Also they for got to add the shipping costs so I asked for that as well. Looks like all of the grains are in. Will keep everyone posted as usual.

EDIT: The JD Barrels were not included in the quote either so I need to ask about that also.
Nooooo!! I ordered both of those things. How will I compare fortified bourbon/oak to barreled?!
__________________
cadwallion is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #894
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SpacemanSpiff's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)
Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg727
Has anyone tried 3 Floyd's Ham on Rye? It came out a few years ago and I don't think they are going to make it again anytime soon. I am trying to brew something close to it. This is my current thinking on the grain bill. I will probably use T-58 for its peppery quality and a light dose of Saaz. Any thoughts or suggestions?

0.38 6.00 2 Row or Vienna
0.29 4.50 Smoked Malt
0.22 3.50 Rye
0.02 0.25 Honey Malt
0.03 0.50 Carapils or Wheat
0.06 1.00 .75 lbs of Honey
15.75 Pounds of Malt
24.00 Quarts
1.52 Quarts/Pounds
I've had it and won't make that mistake again. Can't help on the recipe unfortunately. There's something in it though that makes it taste distinctly like drinking a ham sandwich. And it wasn't pleasant. I don't think I even finished the pint.
It's been a few years and I'd like to think my tastes have changed, but that beer left a pretty big scar.
__________________
SpacemanSpiff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #895
Gothic_Horror
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gothic_Horror's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)
Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1623
Just received an email from the supplier. The only items out of stock are Toasted Chips and PBW-8# containers (they only have two available at the moment). I asked if we could place these items on back order and am still awaiting a reply. Also they for got to add the shipping costs so I asked for that as well. Looks like all of the grains are in. Will keep everyone posted as usual.

EDIT: The JD Barrels were not included in the quote either so I need to ask about that also.
I thought of this after the order went through. But for all of the individual 8# orders, we could have all pooled that money and gotten several 50# pails and split it up.
__________________
Gothic_Horror is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #896
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
bmason1623's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,805
iTrader: (2)
Liked 148 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
I've had it and won't make that mistake again. Can't help on the recipe unfortunately. There's something in it though that makes it taste distinctly like drinking a ham sandwich. And it wasn't pleasant. I don't think I even finished the pint.
It's been a few years and I'd like to think my tastes have changed, but that beer left a pretty big scar.
one of my very articulate friends tried this beer and he described it as tasting like "****". I took his word for it and didn't bother trying it for myself.
bmason1623 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #897
ArtimusBeerimus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IN
Posts: 210
iTrader: (0)
Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Only thing missing from that recipe is the ham bone.

Honestly, one of the very few 3F brews I haven't enjoyed.

__________________
Beer is good food
ArtimusBeerimus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #898
starman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago Burbs, il
Posts: 460
iTrader: (0)
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Just the tip...

forumrunner_20130225_201951.jpg

__________________
starman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #899
mikescooling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,624
iTrader: (0)
Liked 201 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic_Horror View Post
I thought of this after the order went through. But for all of the individual 8# orders, we could have all pooled that money and gotten several 50# pails and split it up.
If this makes things easer, I'm game for splitting a 50#?
__________________
mikescooling is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #900
Polboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 915
iTrader: (0)
Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Just the tip...

Attachment 103894
I got my pump today, now i just need an adapter, some glue and i guess 1/2" OD pvc
Why do you have 2 buckets in there?
__________________
Polboy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Buy in Chicago #6 bmason1623 Group Buys 1380 03-16-2014 12:44 AM
Group Buy in Chicago #4 bmason1623 Group Buys 770 03-16-2014 12:43 AM
Group Buy in Chicago #3 bmason1623 Group Buys 338 03-16-2014 12:42 AM
Group buy in Chicago? bmason1623 Group Buys 421 03-16-2014 12:41 AM
New Chicago Group Buy Wernerherzog Group Buys 185 02-17-2012 01:29 AM