There seems to be enough interest for another group buy for at least one pallet so I'll get the ball rolling on "Group Buy in Chicago #5".
For those who have not participated in group buys in the past that I coordinate here are a few details:
1) I keep a running spreadsheet that us accessible by those participating in the buy. If you want to buy grain send me a PM with a valid email address preferably your paypal address (more to come on paypal) and the grain you desire. I will enter your info on the spreadsheet and email you the link.
2) Once we decide a cutoff (usually in full pallets of 42 sack increments), I will request a quote from the distributor in South Holland. Per HBT rules, I do not mark up anything.
3) When the quote is received I will post it on google docs and send everyone the link to it so they can verify pricing.
4) When everybody verifies the quote versus what is on my spreadsheet and we are all in agreement then I star receiving payments from everybody. Payment can be made via paypal, check or cash. WHEN PAYING WITH PAYPAL, PLEASE PAY THE TRANSACTION FEES YOURSELF; I WILL NOT PAY THE FEES. DO NOT GIFT ME THE MONEY EITHER BECAUSE I HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED A WARNING REGARDING THAT ON THE LAST BUY. PLEASE ADHERE TO THESE PAYPAL RULES OR THEY WILL FREEZE MY ACCOUNT AND WE ALL GET SCREWED.
5) Once everyone pays (see item #4!) I will place the order and make the necessary payment.
6) Grain is usually delivered within a couple of days after they receive payment. Delivery will be to my shop around the vicinity of Cicero and Grand in Chicago. The exact address will be on the quote from the distributor that I will post in google docs.
7) Then everybody coordinates with me on pick up times.
8) Lastly, I will only be handling full sacks. This means that any split sacks should be worked out among the participants. One participants pays for the full sack then collects from the other participants and coordinates the actual physical splitting of the grain/hops/etc. The accounting for the splits is tedious and I really do not want to deal with it. Sorry.
9) All grain except Breiss is available to us. The only Breiss product available to us are 50 Lb. sacks of DME. Hops in 11 pound increments are also available at wholesale pricing. Cleaning supplies like PBW, starsan, etc is available too. Pretty much everything in the wholesale catalog is available with some exceptions.
To those who have participated in the past please feel free to send the catalog link and password to the newcomers. I would greatly appreciate that. If you have any questions post it on this thread. Maybe we can outdo the last buy of 3 pallets. Get your grain mills ready!