The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Denver CMC group grain buy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
doobliebop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Denver CMC group grain buy.

This thread is for the third Denver area group grain buy from the Colorado Malting Company.
The thread for previous group buys can be found here.

Ordering: I'll be using Google Docs to keep tallies on the order: Link to google doc
Update this document with your intended purchases. You do not need a Google account to edit it.

The ordering window for this group buy closes on 4/25 at 5pm MST. Please have your orders in before this. At this time, the spreadsheet will be locked, and invoices will go out to all participants.

There is a minimum order of 1000 lbs for this group buy to go forward. (Edit: We're a go!)

Minimum split: 25lbs. If you want to further split your order, please arrange to do this privately. Grain will have to be ordered in increments of whole sacks (50 lbs). If the orders end up such that there is an unmatched half sack, the last one added will be dropped from the order.

Contact: If you wish to contact me, post in the thread as I am not a premium member, and don't want my inbox flooded. If it is a private matter, email me at thedividedsky@(google's email service).com

Updates: I'll update this post with relevant information. Post #2 is reserved for tallys, lists of who has paid etc.

Prices: CMC has new prices effective March 1st. They are $0.75/lb for everything except unmalted barley ($0.25/lb), with the exception of the unmalted purple hulles barley which is $3/lb. They are out of malted Purple Hulless barley, have no plans to malt more and as such I am taking it off the spreadsheet. Also, they are currently out of white wheat (as of 3/22). If I am told they get more white wheat in stock I will post to the thread and update the spreadsheet accordingly.

Shipping: Shipping cost is a flat $150. This cost will be divided by the number of bags once the order is finalized. CMC would prefer to deliver the malts to a private residence as opposed to the business lots we have used in years past. We are looking at a pickup at Dahoov's place in Centennial on Saturday 5/7.

Payments: After the orders are closed I will PM everyone their total amount due. At that point you should mail a check to CMC. Once the check clears, your order goes on the truck.

Milling: In years past CMC has milled bags for members of the group buy at their request. I will inquire whether they are willing to do this again this year. If they are, you can mention that in response to receiving your total amount due, and I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
doobliebop
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Reserved.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Dahoov
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I added my request. They are working on a malted millett. I wonder if that is ready yet. The last update to their news page referencing it was in January.

If we think we can save some $ by going to get it ourselves I have an enclosed trailer I can volunteer along with my 4Runner if I can get some help with the gas. It gets about 15 miles per gallon with the trailer attached. According to Google Maps it is about 480 miles round trip to Alamosa from my home. At today's gas price that is roughly $115. I could safely carry around 2000 lbs in the trailer plus about 500 in the 4Runner.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
doobliebop
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoov View Post
I added my request. They are working on a malted millett. I wonder if that is ready yet. The last update to their news page referencing it was in January.

If we think we can save some $ by going to get it ourselves I have an enclosed trailer I can volunteer along with my 4Runner if I can get some help with the gas. It gets about 15 miles per gallon with the trailer attached. According to Google Maps it is about 480 miles round trip to Alamosa from my home. At today's gas price that is roughly $115. I could safely carry around 2000 lbs in the trailer plus about 500 in the 4Runner.
Next time I speak with Jason I'll inquire about the millett.
(Edit: Jason says millett will not be available until July.)

As far as shipping, I'm inclined to let them take care of it. He seems to recall our past two orders have been in the range of 6000lbs, and he's willing to do it for a flat $150.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
Dahoov
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobliebop View Post
...Jason would prefer to have the malts shipped to a private residence as opposed to the business lots like we have done in years past. If anyone wants to host a party on the drop-off day, chime in. Otherwise, I guess I will!...
I have a 3 car garage with nothing in the third bay (well, tools and such). I could receive it there and people could come at their leisure to pick up their grain. I live near Tower and Quincy on the South East side of town.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
AussieBrewerInColorado
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

+1 on shipping. Thanks again for taking the lead.

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb

The Keg Ran Out Club (KROC)
Broomfield, Colorado
http://www.kroc.org/

Old 03-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
doobliebop
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoov View Post
I have a 3 car garage with nothing in the third bay (well, tools and such). I could receive it there and people could come at their leisure to pick up their grain. I live near Tower and Quincy on the South East side of town.
Works for me! Thanks for volunteering!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just put in mine.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
doobliebop
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasq View Post
Just put in mine.
And with that, we're a go. 1000 lbs!

I need to set a date to stop accepting orders by. Does anyone have any input on this? I'm torn between wanting my grain soon, and at the same time keeping the ordering period open long enough to allow everyone the opportunity to get in on the deal. CMC has mentioned they would like some lead time so I'm thinking keeping it open about a month?

I'm proposing closing orders on 4/25 at 5pm MST, and try for a drop off on Saturday 5/7?

Thoughts?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #10
AussieBrewerInColorado
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobliebop View Post
And with that, we're a go. 1000 lbs!

I need to set a date to stop accepting orders by. Does anyone have any input on this? I'm torn between wanting my grain soon, and at the same time keeping the ordering period open long enough to allow everyone the opportunity to get in on the deal. CMC has mentioned they would like some lead time so I'm thinking keeping it open about a month?

I'm proposing closing orders on 4/25 at 5pm MST, and try for a drop off on Saturday 5/7?

Thoughts?
Sweet! Same as you would rather sooner, guess I can buy a bag in between. How much lead time does CMC need?
Guess we need to make sure they can get checks in time too. Then do we just split the delivery fee and send a second check?

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb

The Keg Ran Out Club (KROC)
Broomfield, Colorado
http://www.kroc.org/

Quick Reply