Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > China Made Fermenters
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #61
HansBlix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzie View Post
Was there a thread somewhere... I think it was in the keggin/bottling section that talked about the weld quality from China? That the welds were what they should have been and the metal wasn't stainless when they said it wasn't. I thought i read that and a few other things about the quality of stuff coming from China. Anyone remember this or know what im talking about?
Thats like saying that all cars that come out of the US are the exact same quality regardless of manufacturer or price point. I am sure that more than less of the stainless steel vessels that come out of China are inferior and not up to spec but you cant assume that is the case for every single manufacturer. This is why you have to do your homework. From what I understand these are the same vessels that are imported and sold by one if not more US wholesalers who supply to breweries. Can anyone confirm this?
__________________
HansBlix is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #62
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Pratzie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,549
iTrader: (1)
Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansBlix View Post
Thats like saying that all cars that come out of the US are the exact same quality regardless of manufacturer or price point. I am sure that more than less of the stainless steel vessels that come out of China are inferior and not up to spec but you cant assume that is the case for every single manufacturer. This is why you have to do your homework. From what I understand these are the same vessels that are imported and sold by one if not more US wholesalers who supply to breweries. Can anyone confirm this?
Makes sense. I only brought it up because it was a major corny keg distributor that was deciding whether to go with China made stuff or Italian and all the companies they found in China weren't up to par with regards to holding pressurized gases. Stated they were rated for up to so many PSI but were failing far below the acceptable PSI. Again just sometihng i wanted to mention just cuz it seems like this is gonna be a big investment for people, i would hate to see ya get stuck with a bad product, especially one that could lead to ruined brew
__________________
Bottled: Nothing :(
Kegged: Nothing :(
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild
Pratzie is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #63
HansBlix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)
Default

I agree with you. Im curious as well. I have heard of the QC issues you spoke of with a few different facets of the brewing industry, specifically SS kegs. If these are the same ones imported to the US by a few wholesalers than that is enough for me. I just need some confirm this 100%.

__________________
HansBlix is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #64
lagavulin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hanover, NH
Posts: 177
iTrader: (1)
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Glacier Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyBeaverBrewery View Post
So just got an email back from our supplier and he confirms that they are the supplier for glacier tanks to their Portland warehouse..

So.. If you want more Info on the tanks look at glaciers website..

There you go. I guess you could call Glacier tanks and ask them who their supplier is...
__________________
lagavulin is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #65
CrankyBeaverBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Abbotsford, British Columbia
Posts: 256
iTrader: (0)
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Well these tanks are the exact same ones from glacier.. So the welds glacier are selling are the welds we would get..

Also the sales rep did confirm they supply glacier tanks with their products and confirmed the owners and names of the people they deal with at glacier

__________________
CrankyBeaverBrewery is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #66
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,478
iTrader: (0)
Liked 250 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyBeaverBrewery View Post
Well these tanks are the exact same ones from glacier.. So the welds glacier are selling are the welds we would get..

Also the sales rep did confirm they supply glacier tanks with their products and confirmed the owners and names of the people they deal with at glacier
Just playing devils advocate here
Your point is not neccesarally true. Yes, they supply Glacier (we'll take their word for it at the moment), but Glacier seem to be buying a lot of these tanks so to continue to sell to them the supplier would have to make sure they keep up with their quality.
For this purchase you would be buying a small number (in their terms) of one off tanks and if there is little chance of loosing repeat business (because there is not likely to be any repeat business anyway) you might not get the same treatment as Glacier does.
I have heard of sotries where the first 1, 2, 3, etc. small batches from a supplier in China is perfect then once the $500k order is placed the quality drops off sharply (this could be because the company actually over extended itself and could not deliver quality in the timeframe rather than intentionally being a dick).
mattd2 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #67
luhrks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 331
iTrader: (0)
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Glacier does all of the warranty work for this supplier. So if something does come up a bit short for whatever reason, it can be corrected fairly easily.

I've heard the same story that the 304 steel coming from China isn't "real" because a magnet doesn't stick to it. Funny enough, if your magnet sticks to 304 stainless, it's not 304 stainless. That's actually one of the reasons 304 is used in medical applications and instruments, it has a low magnetic reactance.

__________________
luhrks is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #68
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,478
iTrader: (0)
Liked 250 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhrks View Post
Glacier does all of the warranty work for this supplier. So if something does come up a bit short for whatever reason, it can be corrected fairly easily.

I've heard the same story that the 304 steel coming from China isn't "real" because a magnet doesn't stick to it. Funny enough, if your magnet sticks to 304 stainless, it's not 304 stainless. That's actually one of the reasons 304 is used in medical applications and instruments, it has a low magnetic reactance.
Unless it is work hardened
I guess if the Chinesse supplier will foot the bill to repair unsatisfactory fabrications through Glacier then I would expect them not to send any unsatisfactory products out the door in the first place. Has that been confirmed?
I guess the other side is they would not want a bunch of people going around saying that they bought tanks from the same supplier as Glacier and they are rubbish, that would hurt Glacier and eventually them.
I think the real problem for Chinesse suppliers is that for every legit one there are 10 or more dodgy ones. I have heard of conterfeit bearings that are better build quality than the ones they knock-off... except whoever reverse engineered the original messed up one critical dimension which meant they ran great but could not be regreased!
On your 304 story I have heard bundles of high strength steel where the outer 1-2 pieces are what were ordered and the middle of the bundle is low quality mild steel when check with a spectrometer!
As always it is a case of buyer beware and do your due diligence (which it seems like it is happening)
__________________
My DIY grain mill
First AG mini-BIAB
mattd2 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #69
CrankyBeaverBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Abbotsford, British Columbia
Posts: 256
iTrader: (0)
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

So the time has come.. If we have enough people ( to commit ) this weekend or next.. Lets place our order.. Anybody still on the fence ??

Can I get a final head count to who's in the order.. Reply here or pm me with what your looking to order..

Also perfered payment system.. ??

PayPal good with everyone.. ?

Also once I get the head count.. Il get the dimensions in what the supplier with ship the fermenters in then I can give everyone an estimate from Seattle port to their respected addresses..

__________________
CrankyBeaverBrewery is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #70
cdwiggi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Macon, MO
Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyBeaverBrewery View Post
So the time has come.. If we have enough people ( to commit ) this weekend or next.. Lets place our order.. Anybody still on the fence ??

Can I get a final head count to who's in the order.. Reply here or pm me with what your looking to order..

Also perfered payment system.. ??

PayPal good with everyone.. ?

Also once I get the head count.. Il get the dimensions in what the supplier with ship the fermenters in then I can give everyone an estimate from Seattle port to their respected addresses..
I am still looking for 2 or 3 one barrel jacketed tanks.

cd
__________________
cdwiggi is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools