Buffalo NY Grain Buy - Jan/Feb 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - Welcome to the Buffalo group buy for Jan/Feb 2015.

I'd like to officially open the Buffalo Goup Buy for Jan/Feb 2015.

We have an opportunity to get special bulk pricing from a homebrew shop in Dunkirk, NY. We did a small group buy with them last year. There is a chance we could put together a re-occurring group buy in Buffalo, so I hope we get good support for this one.

Here is the grain list and pricing for the Buffalo Group Buy only: http://www.dunkirkhomebrew.com/BuffaloBulkBuyGrains/tabid/666/Default.aspx

Rules of the group buy:
  • We need a minimum of 10 50/55 lb. sacks to get the special pricing.
  • 10 lb. sacks are available, but do not count toward the minimum sack count.
  • Please PM me directly with your order. If it's posted online it won't count. Include the product ID listed in the first column on webpage, the description, and the price to help minimize mistakes.
  • I will keep the buy open until 2/3/2015 assuming we get the minimum # of orders.
  • All grain must be picked up at the same time. I will take care of the pickup.
  • Grain will be distributed in Buffalo. We can determine a convenient location for everyone as this progresses. Worst case, we can distribute at my house in Getzville.
  • I will provide updates on the amount of grain we've ordered as the buy progresses.
  • If you want to do splits, please make arrangements among yourselves.
  • Payment will be required prior to ordering, so please be prompt with your payment. You can PayPal me directly or send a check made out to the vendor to me. I will forward all payments to the vendor. I'll provide payment details after we close the group buy.
  • Since this is my first time doing this, the rules might change a little as I figure it out, so be gentle with me :D

Group Buy Process:
  • Accept orders through 2/3/2015 (2-weeks from today).
  • Group buy closes on 2/3/2015.
  • Accept payment (~1 week).
  • Place order with vendor.
  • Wait for order to arrive.
  • Pickup order in Dunkirk.
  • Distribute in Buffalo, NY area. Location TBD.

Might help to include size of bags so others can figure how close to minimum we are.

If those are all 50/55 lb bags, then we're 40% of the way toward the minimum already!

There isn't a maximum, particularly. Practicality would be the guide. Keeping in mind that we can do this as often as needed, as often as monthly, if there are enough of you who want grain, this can become very convenient.

Thanks to b-boy for taking the initiative.

Just sent a PM. I'm in for one sack of Avangard Pilsner.

Five more to go!

In case anyone's on the fence about participating in a group buy, here are a few facts that might help you decide.

FAQS:

How much can I save?
  • If you brew frequently - a lot.
  • If you buy locally by the pound, a sack of 2-row will be less than half the cost. We'll pay less than $1 per lb.
  • If you buy locally by the sack, you'll save about $16 per sack for 2-row.
  • If you mail order, you'll save a little less. On RebelBrewer.com, 1 lb. of 2-row is $1.24, but you pay for shipping.

What am I going to do with all that grain?
Most people use a group buy to stock up on base grains, which are the primary ingredient in all your batches (Buying a 50 lb. sack of chocolate malt probably isn't a good idea, unless you really like stouts). 1 sack of 2-row is 50 lbs. You can fit an entire sack in 2 Lowes/HD food grade buckets with lids. You'll have about 1-2 lbs. left over, which you can just toss into a few 1-gallon plastic ziplock bags.

How long will it last?
I've kept uncrushed grain for over a year without any issues. You just need to keep it cool and dry. Your basement is perfect, as long as you have a sealed container.

How will I crush it?
Good question. You need a grain mill for this much grain. If you're really into the hobby, you'll probably get one eventually. How about taking the savings from your first bulk buy and investing in a mill? A corona mill will run you less than $40. Worst comes to worst, bring it over to my house and I'll crush it for you. :D

Great points B-Boy. I will also say that I started using Avangard pils as my primary base malt last year. It's a nice flavorful continental malt for Belgian styles (which I brew a lot of) but also works great in hoppy beers (my other obsession). At $49 for a 55lb sack, that's $0.89/lb. That's tough to beat these days.

Yes great points B-Boy. I would also like to add...

- All the cool kids are doing it.

- It is all the rage in Europe.

Hmm...everybody's ordering the Avangard Pilsner. Is it good stuff? I might have to pick some up.

I like it. I use it a lot in Belgians with just wheat and a bit of caramel. The grainy pils flavor comes through nicely. Some people report a slightly higher extract efficiency as well.

I'm curious about their other products. Some people have said the pale malt is a little darker and more flavorful than other varieties. I'll be interested to see what people think.

Anyone willing to buy me a sack of Avangard Pils in exchange for a $50 NT Gift Certificate?

I was going to use it to buy a sack of Pils malt at NT, but I'd like to support this grain buy plus its $11 less expensive.

Sack of Avangard only runs $49 so technically you would be making $1.

Anyone willing to buy me a sack of Avangard Pils in exchange for a $50 NT Gift Certificate?

I was going to use it to buy a sack of Pils malt at NT, but I'd like to support this grain buy plus its $11 less expensive.

Sack of Avangard only runs $49 so technically you would be making $1.

Sure - I'll cover you. Send me a PM with the details if you decide to go through with it.

I like it. I use it a lot in Belgians with just wheat and a bit of caramel. The grainy pils flavor comes through nicely. Some people report a slightly higher extract efficiency as well.

I'm curious about their other products. Some people have said the pale malt is a little darker and more flavorful than other varieties. I'll be interested to see what people think.

If you are talking about the Briess 1927B or 1927C Pale Ale Malt, I've used it quite a bit. Started using it for a clone of Goose Island's Green Line as the single malt in the beer (how they made it). Have used it a lot elsewhere since.

It is a bit more toasted, a bit darker, but not a lot. Got a maltier, nuttier taste, sort of in the direction of Munich but not all the way there. I like it a lot, recommend it for broad base malt use especially in Pales, IPAs and really anywhere that Brewer's Malt is appropriate if you want just a bit more malt flavor.

I'm in Buffalo every other week...

Any timeframe when the final meet-up will be to distribute these orders? I'd like to buy a sack, but I also don't want to stick you with it for two weeks until I'm around.

I'm not sure. We won't know until we get all the payments and place the order. I'm closing this out next Tuesday, and will start collecting the funds. It will probably be at least 2 weeks from that.

I have no problem hanging onto a few sacks of grain if it's an issue.

Just an update.

We have a week to go on this before I close the buy.

So far we have 11 sacks ordered, plus 1 10-lb bag.

Anyone else interested? If so PM me and I'll add you to the list.

I'm not going to be able to hit this buy. I have no storage means yet and unfortunately county taxes are due in two weeks so funds are low. But once I get a few storage bins this will be the way to buy base grains. Thanks.

If anyone is interested in splitting a sack of Avangard Pale Malt, Vienna malt, or white wheat malt PM me.

This grain buy will close at midnight tonight. Last call.

Tomorrow I'll put together a breakdown of the order, costs, payment information and pickup information and send it to all participants.

Excited for this. Hopefully some of our snow melts soon so I can start brewing outside with the new equipment. There is no room anywhere in our yard now, just mountains of snow.

Thanks for coordinating this @b-boy !

Back