Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Company Reviews > San Francisco Brewcraft

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
photogscott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default San Francisco Brewcraft

On my web search for hard to find hops I found a place called San Francisco Brewcraft.

On Jan 18th I phone ordered a variety hops. 2 weeks later I hadn't received any shipment so I called back with a pleasant conversation and a re-shipment of the order.

Today I called inquiring about my still not received hop order when the manager (his name is Griz) proceeded to call me a f**king a$$hole. And went on to say he was tired of me giving him s**t.

I've always been proud of the camraderie among homebrewers and the friendly attitude at HBS's, brewpubs and craftbrewers.

In 50 years I've never been cussed and screamed at over the phone. Who'd of thought my first time would be a homebrew shop

Unless you can get in and get out with your order, stay away from their out-of- date website or the phone. I remain hopless.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.freshops.com/ arrived within one week. no fuss, no muss.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Last edited by uglygoat; 02-04-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
Jaeger48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Horrible, I hope you don't have to go through that again. I went to their website and saw their announcement that if you order 3 oz of hops you have to buy more ingredients otherwise they won't sell. I wish my company made enough money to turn away customers that didn't buy every service. I haven't used them but AHS and hopsdirect have been reviewed well by the others here and I can personally vouch for www.mountainhomebrew.com. They're a brick and mortar location as well as online sales and Jim has been a great support while I learn the craft. They have a hop limit... something like 8oz a variety.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:19 AM   #4
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Crap. I almost ordered from them. : /

So, did you ever get those hops?

Old 02-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
photogscott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

They told me they were out of most everything. I was going to cancel the order but before I could say anything the phone was handed over to "Griz" who proceeded to dump his wrath on me.

I don't understand it. our first conversation was fun and we rapped about homebrew experiences. On my third call he yelled that I had been nothing but a "f**king dick" the whole time. I just bit my tongue and hung up.

I remember on our 2nd conversation when I asked about my non-arrival of hops, he was sarcastic saying "all we do around here is smoke weed" Judging from his phone personality I thing its more like meth.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I assume you'll try to get your refund/withdrawn order taken care of, right? Otherwise, it's time to get a hold of the BBB. And we're not talking about the Better Brewing Bureau here.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Griz

Old 02-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 113 Posts

griz is a fat old man that sits in the back. i don't think he moves more than 20 feet in a day.

HOWEVER, they do have an amazing hop selection and were quite pleasant when i went to visit. i've only been there once. i guess ordering over the phone isn't the same deal.

and most companys are now limiting hop orders and/or making you buy ingredients with them. they have to, or they'll run out of hops. that part makes sense.

being an asshole doesn't, tho. sorry to hear that.

SF Brewcraft even stated they've had commercial brewers request hops from them, but turned them down.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 02-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #9
sfbrewcraft
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is Tucker from SF Brewcraft, whom you spoke with on the phone yesterday.

As you stated in your post and on the phone with me, hops are very, very hard to find these days, due to the international hop shortage which most of us are aware of. As a home brew shop it is especially dire as we have no contracts for hops so we get the scraps not purchased by breweries or larger outfits. As our website states, we have been forced to ration hops out to our customers due to the fact that we cannot get some varieties at all from our suppliers and for some varieties they will only send us 4oz. or so. If we filled every order of people trying to stock up on large quantities of hops (we get 2-3 a day), we would not have enough hops to sell full recipes to customers and we probably would have to shut our doors, as recipes are our bread and butter. Turning away customers is the last thing we want to do, but this hop policy is the only way we have figured out to provide service to everyone, rather than to a just a few people. Until your order, every one of our customers has been very understanding about this. If anyone has any suggestions for a way that they think would be better, I'd be more than happy to take their ideas into consideration.

Even in spite of this policy, we (and I personally) went out of our way to accommodate you. We filled your order the best we could and above our 3oz. hop policy. You cancelled your order on our google checkout service because you told us you didn't trust it. Also, you refused to let us ship it to you FedEx, which always has a tracking number, and insisted on the cheapest shipping at the post office. One of our employees walked over a mile down to the post office to mail the package to you and it was sent to the address you provided to us. We did exactly what you had asked of us. Also, it is fair to note that you have not been charged by us.

On the several occasions you have called you have been very tetchy and surly with us, especially yesterday on the phone with me. I was polite to you on the phone and tried to help you. I offered to ship you out whatever whole hops you wanted in quantities far exceeding our hop policy. We can't ship out any more pellets right now because we are out of many varieties and others we only have 3 or 4 ounces left. When I told you this you raised your voice at me and told me that you were going to go on several websites and write negative things about us, which apparently you've made good on. I don't know exactly what transpired on the phone with Griz but I expect you were yelling at him as well. However, I am aware that your attitude doesn't excuse profanity and I sincerely apologize to you for that.

We do our best to keep our website up to date, but please consider we are not amazon.com; we are a mom and pop business operating out of a very small storefront and that the situation with the hop shortage mess often changes day to day.

It's unfortunate your experience with us ended so negatively. We strive to make our customers happy, even if we often lose money doing so. Look at any of our reviews on sites such as yelp.com or beeradvocate.com. They are overwhelmingly positive as we do bend over backwards to make our customers happy. I can't tell you how many times I've delivered orders locally to customers on my days off or how often I've stayed behind after closing to help home brewers with questions or advice. Or the free brewing classes we offer for beginning brewers and all grain. You are right about camaraderie among home brewers and that is something we try to foster and encourage among home brewers in our city and beyond. We'd be happy to offer you a substantial discount on your next order if you ever decide to order with us again. Just call the shop and ask for me personally.

Once again, I apologize for the profanity from Griz, and if there is anything I can do for you, please call the shop and I'll as ever be more than happy to oblige you in anyway possible.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:50 AM   #10
Jayfro21
Recipes 

I have to tell you that SF Brewcraft is one of the coolest places that I have ever hung out at. Griz is awesome to talk to in person, and though he is different than most business owners, he doesn't bulls**t and he gives it to you straight. The other staff there are great and VERY helpful if you have any questions. Griz is the expert, and most unanswered questions go to him, and sometimes I don't agree with what he says. That being said, I know he's just trying to help me in the best way possible. Also, the store is about as big as a small bedroom, and yet they have always had what I wanted and needed.

I can't comment on how the interaction went with the OP, but I guarantee that if you had any sort of attitude with Griz, he gave it right back. That is just the type of person he is. He's been around a LONG time and has been brewing for MANY years. I am not saying that his attitude is right or wrong, but it just is. I guess my point is don't judge the business by just that one interaction, because it certainly is a hard-working mom and pop store with great employees that certainly go out of their way to accommodate their customers. I, for one, will continue to go to them for all my brewing needs.

Jason

Primary 1: ESB
Primary 2: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Secondary 3: Empty
Bottled: Nothing!
Up next: Common ESB, porter, probably some Belgian

Quick Reply