Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #71
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Middletown, De
Posts: 35,928
Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

You do know we will need pictures of this right?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong
dataz722 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #72
Desert_Sky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Desert_Sky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Posts: 4,090
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
You do know we will need pictures of this right?
got ya covered. Probe is going in pretty easy right now but not quite like butter yet. I figure another 45 minutes then wrap and rest for a few hours,

The boudin was freaking amazing. A buddy went to Mardi Gras and brought me back 20lbs of it from Baton Rouge. Its from a little mom and pop butcher shop and made right there in house. So damn good
__________________
Desert Sky Brewing Co.
Sierra Vista, AZ
Desert_Sky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #73
Desert_Sky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Desert_Sky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Posts: 4,090
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Ok went ahead and snapped a few pics. Its almost done. This is @ 12.5 hours, I used Kingsford Original and Pecan for smoke. I rubbed with SImply Marvelous Cherry and injected with half Apple Cider Vinegar and Apple Juice.

It smells so good, I hope I can wait till the guests get here

davs-bbq-017.jpg   davs-bbq-019.jpg  
__________________
Desert Sky Brewing Co.
Sierra Vista, AZ
Desert_Sky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #74
FromZwolle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: beecher, il
Posts: 8,546
Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

wow, that's pretty!

__________________
FromZwolle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #75
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,583
Liked 3184 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 2712

Default

damned you smoking thread. I just ran to the store and picked up ribs and boston butt. Smoking 4 racks of ribs now.

__________________
What Would Vermeer Paint?
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #76
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Middletown, De
Posts: 35,928
Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Sky View Post
got ya covered. Probe is going in pretty easy right now but not quite like butter yet. I figure another 45 minutes then wrap and rest for a few hours,

The boudin was freaking amazing. A buddy went to Mardi Gras and brought me back 20lbs of it from Baton Rouge. Its from a little mom and pop butcher shop and made right there in house. So damn good
I have actually never had boudin before. I do want to try it though.


Those pictures look damn good.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong
dataz722 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #77
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IrregularPulse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 42,547
Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Sky View Post
Ok went ahead and snapped a few pics. Its almost done. This is @ 12.5 hours, I used Kingsford Original and Pecan for smoke. I rubbed with SImply Marvelous Cherry and injected with half Apple Cider Vinegar and Apple Juice.

It smells so good, I hope I can wait till the guests get here
And that amazing bark is strictly from the mustard addition? I'm a noon. Two smokes under my belt. Got a pork loin in the fridge hoping it thaws by tonight to run and then smoke tomorrow for my 3rd smoke ever. 2nd was just two fatties.
__________________
Tap Room Hobo

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo
IrregularPulse is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #78
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
arturo7's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 9,029
Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Grill that loin, don't smoke it. It's too nice of a cut. Not enough fat in it anyway.

__________________

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

arturo7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #79
Desert_Sky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Desert_Sky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Posts: 4,090
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
And that amazing bark is strictly from the mustard addition? I'm a noon. Two smokes under my belt. Got a pork loin in the fridge hoping it thaws by tonight to run and then smoke tomorrow for my 3rd smoke ever. 2nd was just two fatties.
Nope, no mustard used. I cut the skin off, patted it dry and added the rub. Simply Marvelous does a great job of staying on the meat and forming a glaze before it even goes on the smoker. I cant say enough good things about the rub itself.

http://www.simplymarvelousbbq.com/simply-marvelous-cherry-rub-16-oz
__________________
Desert Sky Brewing Co.
Sierra Vista, AZ
Desert_Sky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #80
ClassicXJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 91
Default

Used my new Weber smoky mountain cooker this afternoon. First time smoking anything. I did 2 beer can chickens, one was about 6.5 lbs and the other about 7.25 lbs. Both covered in rub I made using recipe in smoke and spice. Both came out great. Wife and I both really enoyed it. I wa suprised at how well it kept temperatures between 200-250, without alot fuss. Learned a few lessons.

1) Need some gloves (already ordered a pair from TEXASBBQRUB.com)

2) The chickens are really hard to keep up straight only using a beer can and the birds legs. Anyone ever try one of those Weber chicken mount things?

I can see this becoming another addictive habit. Need to pick out a recipe for next weekend.

__________________
ClassicXJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nitrates/Nitrites in meat, Friend or Foe? Edcculus Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making 28 11-13-2011 02:28 AM
Meat Hoppocrates Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making 32 12-22-2010 04:11 PM