Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoking these t bones before a reverse sear on the new Pit Boss KC Combo. Not a bad way to break it in.

IMG_4849.JPG

What happened to the JB?

Sort of sold it unexpectedly. I had some friends over Friday evening and one of them mentioned he was looking for a pellet grill and I was showing him mine and before I knew it I had cash in hand and he was taking it home. It was a better offer than I ever would have had trying to sell it lol.

I had had my eyes on one of these for awhile any way so it worked out.

IMG_4843.JPG

Is that a side load pellet and gas grill combo? Would love more pics and to hear more.
Sort of sold it unexpectedly. I had some friends over Friday evening and one of them mentioned he was looking for a pellet grill and I was showing him mine and before I knew it I had cash in hand and he was taking it home. It was a better offer than I ever would have had trying to sell it lol.

I had had my eyes on one of these for awhile any way so it worked out.

View attachment 669950

Have a corned beef and brisket going on. Terrible brisket, dinky and lost about 5 pounds in fat. Nothing but sugar on corned beef and nothing but salt on brisket. Hickory and cherry ftw! Hope it finishes before too long.

Side note and this is theory only, but I wonder if splitting point from flat which I have to do to fit in my smoker allows good cooking of each. I can remove them individually when each is done just right.

Is that a side load pellet and gas grill combo? Would love more pics and to hear more.

Yes the left side is a pellet grill/smoker and the right side is a gas grill that also comes with a cast iron griddle that can go in place of the grates.

https://pitboss-grills.com/Shop-Pit-Boss/Grills/combos/kc-combo-platinum-series

The website has all the goods, dimensions, etc. they are only sold at Wal Mart and I had to go to two different stores before I could find one that wasn’t assembled sitting on the floor.

IMG_4840.JPG

IMG_4842.JPG

Cool, thanks. I like the way the smoke comes through that. Plus the grill right there, its clever.

Update, didnt want to wait so threw in oven at 350, finished up quickly, but all 3 at different times. First the flat, then corned beef, then the point. Didnt let point rest tonlong before chopping up, hope that doesnt dry it somehow. Sliced, cleaned of fat and chopped. All 3, got one bag of corned beef and 4 bags of brisket. I love having the selection, now there is pork butt, corned beef, brisket, and ham ready to go for a quick dinner. Here is a pic of the corned beef. Rinsed well, dried and rubbed with sugar a thick paste as is the norm. Beef heavy salt rub. Son helped trim and rub, nothing beats that for me.
Yes the left side is a pellet grill/smoker and the right side is a gas grill that also comes with a cast iron griddle that can go in place of the grates.

https://pitboss-grills.com/Shop-Pit-Boss/Grills/combos/kc-combo-platinum-series

The website has all the goods, dimensions, etc. they are only sold at Wal Mart and I had to go to two different stores before I could find one that wasn’t assembled sitting on the floor.

View attachment 670091

View attachment 670092
Screenshot_20200308-221759_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20200308-221723_Gallery.jpeg
20200308_204127.jpeg

Bought pre cured and smoked it. Would have been better to get them after st patricks day, they give them away and I usually buy a bunch then. Apparently they are less salty if soaked in water overnight, but on sandwiches or in dish never bother me. They are really good smoked btw. Almost out of ham need to get a few after Easter
Did you cure the corned beef or buy it pre-cured and just smoke it?

Bought pre cured and smoked it. Would have been better to get them after st patricks day, they give them away and I usually buy a bunch then. Apparently they are less salty if soaked in water overnight, but on sandwiches or in dish never bother me. They are really good smoked btw. Almost out of ham need to get a few after Easter

Very cool. We were considering curing our own this year since we just did the bacon, but my wife talked me out of a $60 whole packer brisket at Costco in favor of the $20 pack of corned beef they sell lol. This one is her deal (she's the Irish one), so I step back and let her do her magic.

Did lamb burgers and roasted butternut squash on Saturday.

I normally don't mix things into my usual burger blends (opting for seasoning on the surface and burger toppings to do the rest), but for this I minced up some kalamata olives and some red onion and put them into the patties. I then hit both sides with some John Henry's greek seasoning, and grilled them.

The wife made tzatziki and the butternut squash, and we served with a little more red onion, tomato, and spinach.

It wasn't the best picture, but the meal came out wonderfully.

IMG_20200307_194434.jpg

Very cool. We were considering curing our own this year since we just did the bacon, but my wife talked me out of a $60 whole packer brisket at Costco in favor of the $20 pack of corned beef they sell lol. This one is her deal (she's the Irish one), so I step back and let her do her magic.

I just scored a 8lb brisket at BJ's yesterday mismarked for $0.21 :yes:, been smoking it since 10 last night. You got to look for those deals man ;)

Wife suggested we do a ham this weekend as a test run for Easter.
Anyone have some suggestions on a good rub and process for it.
I am thinking of a small bone in 5-10 lbs.

Ham, yes, use search on this thread for ham and you will get plenty of mine and others. Pecan goes really well with ham. Hickory and cherry of course my other suggestion. Only sugar, no salt. I often just rub the beejesus out of them with sugar. White and brown mix is best. Neely holiday rub is nice. Its got cinnamon and mustard or ginger, cant quite recall. For me a holiday rub is like that, thats it cumin, cinnamon, ginger something like that, real fragrant. I know many get all spicey to so that style is always an option. I keep it simple so I can make whatever I want. Stir fry, mixed with barbecue, sandwiches, kid friendly, salads whatever. Here is our noodle stir fry the other night from cooking thread. Wouldnt want Mexican spices, bbq, etc in this. It was frozen and used months later still killer.
Screenshot_20200315-113734.jpeg

Do you guys with ceramics worry about firing it up on cold days? Ultimately our hot cold extremes made me not make a wood fire oven, figured it would crack. Cant wait to see the keg.

Do you guys with ceramics worry about firing it up on cold days? Ultimately our hot cold extremes made me not make a wood fire oven, figured it would crack. Cant wait to see the keg.

No. I mean, where I live cold days don't exist lol. But I used to be on a kamado forum and they're incredibly popular in cold areas because they hold temp so well and no matter the outside temp, you still have plenty of fuel in the firebox for long smoking sessions. I never heard of issue with cracking due to outdoor temps.

Hard to tell from that angle but that looks good. Nice thick flat and sounds like it has plenty of fat. I have been almost over trimming, I wonder. Trimming to much dries them a little but is a good thing too. Much healthier, less greasy. Whats on that?
I just put on a ~14 # packer. This thing had a lot of fat on it, I bet I trimmed at least 2 pounds of fat off. I hope it turns out ok. Not very often but you can get one that’s not good.View attachment 672027

Got a smallish pork shoulder on since my wife thought that would be a good substitute for a pork tenderloin. Not like we have anywhere to be so smoking that while I brew an IPA, drink beer and watch YouTube.

Hard to tell from that angle but that looks good. Nice thick flat and sounds like it has plenty of fat. I have been almost over trimming, I wonder. Trimming to much dries them a little but is a good thing too. Much healthier, less greasy. Whats on that?

It’s a Texas blend rub from Alamo seasoning co.

I went out to check the temp....with that little bit of charcoal in it, in the time it took me to throw a rub together and massage it onto a 8.7 pound butt, at both dampers at full open it had got to 700 degrees Fahrenheit. Opened the top up, looked at the coal bed, closed it back up, and closed air flow dampers to less than half open on both top and bottom and will check to see where that puts me.
First pic is what I was working on while warm up was happening.
Second pic is just the coal bed thru the grates
Last pic is where the temp got after closing the lid and closing down air flow.
Thinking that several hours at high temp should be decent for the burn in. Might get lucky and have warm coals left for in the morning when I start up for that lovely piece of meat!!!
IMG_20200321_205854.jpeg
IMG_20200321_210951.jpeg
IMG_20200321_211217.jpeg

5 a.m. is what time I put the butt on. 285 degrees is what it started at, and that was with all dampers closed. 4 hours later it was at the lowest I have seen on it, which was 215. I opened top only at the position in the middle of closed and first notch.

Back