Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Who's smoking meat this weekend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #1511
cervid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

oh my god... did you say rimfire? Do you guys actually shoot deer with .22? Great story by the way. It's intense, huh... I still shed tears most times I take large game. It's pretty spiritual. We dispatched a deer by knife a few years back on an overnight kayak trip in winter. It was barely able to get across the river and had been hit by a car and three of it's legs were broken. It was crazy... And stupid, the guy I was with got his feet soaking wet and it was kind of a scary night for him.

I'll take some pictures from a great game book I have here and pm you or post here in a few.

Personally, I like to take any cut of venison and pull out the dried morels from spring and pan fry in butter, garlic, onion, and morel. But, I have some good dishes I'll post.

Oh and.. For the sausage, I wouldn't use pork, I would just get straight lard and use it to the tune of 25-30 percent. Cube maybe 1/4 of the meat and fat, grind the rest on course. You're doing fresh sausage, right?

give me a minute, I'll take pics of the recipes

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #1512
cervid
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Oh and, yeah.. if you have some steaks and chops these will work. I misread some of what you said making sausage.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #1513
cervid
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Ok, so.. the following recipes are a few of my favorites for full cuts of venison. They are not mine, they are the famous Dixie Dave's. If you like these, or any other wild game recipes I suggest you buy his book. 180 recipes..
http://www.amazon.com/Dixie-Daves-Wi.../dp/B001OZ5HZI

Here we go, I hope you can read them ok, they seem to close up ok.

20130930_181403-1-.jpg   20130930_181151-1-.jpg   20130930_181255-1-.jpg  

Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #1514
cervid
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

So.. as to your post about the whole doing it yourself thing.. Letting it hang and age on the bone is the best way to do it. If it's warm, you can hang it over a garbage can in a space where you can even just set a window air conditioner on the ground, if you aren't worried about water.

I always hang it in my garage, over a garbage can, and stuff full unopened bags of ice in the cavity. You may change those every day. Take the skin off and wrap it in a game bag or cover it liberally with black pepper before this. I do both, we have fall fruit flies.

Regardless, when you get those full cuts back, give them a week in the fridge, in the coldest part, before cooking unless you really like venison.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #1515
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

We are in the process of starting a brewery and cold storage is on the list of things to get. By next season I will have a place to hang and dry age my deer and I did some time in the UC Davis Meat Lab (basically an educational campus processing and butchering facility) so I am getting more and more confident as time progresses. I will pick that book up and thanks for the start up recipes. I am so excited. Can't wait to see what I get back.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #1516
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

A friend of mine is going to give me a venison back strap from his next deer. I'm going to make bresaola di cervo. I love beef bresaola so in excited to try a deer version. It's also my first go at curing, should be fun! Plus it gives me another toy to build, curing chamber.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #1517
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1496 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 953

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles
A friend of mine is going to give me a venison back strap from his next deer. I'm going to make bresaola di cervo. I love beef bresaola so in excited to try a deer version. It's also my first go at curing, should be fun! Plus it gives me another toy to build, curing chamber.
I love your friends.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #1518
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apparently in Ohio you get 9 tags and he always meets his quota. He offered to give me a whole deer, but I'm not sure what i'd do with it all.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #1519
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Best thing to do with backstrap is cut it in medallions and fry it. Serve with biscuits and gravy. Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best

Old 10-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #1520
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver
Best thing to do with backstrap is cut it in medallions and fry it. Serve with biscuits and gravy. Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best
That sounds good too, but I really want to cure and dry age it. It's really my only reason for wanting the meat in the first place.

Quick Reply