The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Who's smoking meat this weekend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #131
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550 View Post
I haven't followed this thread in it's entirety but FME with Brisket, they are usually about 1:15/per pound and there will be a bit of a plateau with the Brisket as well but not like with a Butt. Is it a whole packer or just the flat?
My briskets also take about 1:15 per lb. So 8 lb. brisket would take around 10 hrs. give or take an hour. I like to plan to have them off the smoker an hour before I intend to eat it. That way if it's done on time I can let it rest in foil & a towel in a small cooler, or if it's taking longer I'm not rushed or inclined to take it off before it's ready.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #132
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550 View Post
I haven't followed this thread in it's entirety but FME with Brisket, they are usually about 1:15/per pound and there will be a bit of a plateau with the Brisket as well but not like with a Butt. Is it a whole packer or just the flat?
Packer in the vacuum bag. I ended up pulling it off at 4am (after ~11 hours) and letting it rest for an hour before I seperated the point and threw the point back on for another 4 hours till it reached 195. The flat came out wonderful, except for being done at 4am instead of the 11-12 I was hoping for so I had to reheat in the oven at my aunts. I'm sure it didn't help that this brisket had a **** ton of fat that I couldn't see in the package.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:50 AM   #133
jetmechG550
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
Packer in the vacuum bag. I ended up pulling it off at 4am (after ~11 hours) and letting it rest for an hour before I seperated the point and threw the point back on for another 4 hours till it reached 195. The flat came out wonderful, except for being done at 4am instead of the 11-12 I was hoping for so I had to reheat in the oven at my aunts. I'm sure it didn't help that this brisket had a **** ton of fat that I couldn't see in the package.
Eh, you can trim fat, I almost never do unless it's really excessive. There's debate over cooking it fat side up or fat side down, I go with fat up, IMO as it renders down, it will "melt" into the meat. I like doing burnt ends, usually pull the whole thing, separate the point and chunk it up for burnt ends and place the chunks wrapped in foil back on, and then set the whole flat wrapped in foil and a towel in a cooler until the burnt ends are ready (about another hour or so).
On Deck: ????

Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 AM   #134
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cooked up a Prime Rib for Easter Dinner on my Big Green Egg. It was yummy.

img_8148.jpg   img_8163.jpg   img_8165.jpg  

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Old 04-25-2011, 03:55 AM   #135
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo
I'm about 2 hours in on the Easter Turkey. Following a recipe from amazingribs.com. the Guy is a meat scientist ...we'll see.
The Turkey was quite good. Definitely not at all dry. I like the Turkey au jous (gravy per the recipe ). I would have liked it a little more salty. I didn't brine for fear of too much salt but I will next time. It was a great meal and a beautiful day for my sons 4th birthday.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 AM   #136
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
The Turkey was quite good. Definitely not at all dry. I like the Turkey au jous (gravy per the recipe ). I would have liked it a little more salty. I didn't brine for fear of too much salt but I will next time. It was a great meal and a beautiful day for my sons 4th birthday.
Sounds good! I like brining birds & think it helps quite a bit. If you're worried about the salt content just use less salt.

NHC 2011 pics

NHC 2010 pics

Old 04-25-2011, 04:10 AM   #137
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew

Sounds good! I like brining birds & think it helps quite ai bit. If you're worried about the salt content just use less salt.
That seems to be the trick - less salt in the brine. I got a little concerned becase it was a prebrined bird. Last time I brined and it was a bit too salty for some (not me I love salt). I will adjust next time. I will also also be incorporating some peppercorns. I though about pepper through the whole process but never added any for some reason.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #138
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

This thread is SO full of win it's not even funny! I just purchased a WSM two weeks ago. I did a boston butt for my first smoke after I seasoned it and the pulled pork was amazing. I can't wait to do a brisket this coming weekend.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #139
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

We are relly limiting the amount of contests we cook this year because of the price of gas. We are staying local so it looks like only three contests this year. We are starting late with our first contest in early August being the Battle of the BBQ brethren in our home town of Manorville. Because we have some time before August we are going to do some recipe tweeks. We will start by tweeking our Brisket recipe this weekend. We will smoking a 16 lb packer. Our technique will not change but we are going back to injecting with a mixture of Amesphos and a beefy liquid and our sauce will be a mixture of FAB B, jucies from the brisket and a secret ingredient. I will post some photos.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 04-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #140
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote: