Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Who's making their own corned beef for St. Patty's?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #61
hroth521
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
No doubt about it, I take bad food pics. Those pics above have the white balance messed, and everthing looks green!

I didn't use anything to weigh it down. I just put it in the bag and pushed all the air out. Worked well.

Here's the final product. It was really good (I just had some for breakfast). I think it was a little salty, so I'd cut back on the salt in the brine next time. Spices were just right.

Soak the corned beef for an hour or so in water before you boil it to decrease the saltiness. Doesn't affect the flavor. Been doing this for years - I use the Cooks Illustrated recipe. http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/cornedbeef.htm

"There are more old drunkards than old doctors." — Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #62
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3067 Times on 1928 Posts
Likes Given: 2603

Quote:
Originally Posted by hroth521 View Post
Soak the corned beef for an hour or so in water before you boil it to decrease the saltiness. Doesn't affect the flavor. Been doing this for years - I use the Cooks Illustrated recipe. http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/cornedbeef.htm
Good call! I'll do that. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply