Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Who's making their own corned beef for St. Patty's?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #21
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've got mine going right now. Picked up a choice cut brisket for $1.99/lb- 7 pounds of flat is corning, and 5 pounds of point is brining for pastrami.

Next time short ribs go cheap(er) I'm going to try corning them, too.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #22
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
I've got mine going right now. Picked up a choice cut brisket for $1.99/lb- 7 pounds of flat is corning, and 5 pounds of point is brining for pastrami.

Next time short ribs go cheap(er) I'm going to try corning them, too.
This thread has me interested.

What is the difference between corning and brining? Contact time? I guess I thought pastrami and corned beef were 'cured' the same way just cooked differently.

But I did notice the site that said that said the pastrami was too salty and the corned beef was perfect. Do I have enough time to brine a brisket for smoking it this Sunday?
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Pastrami and corned beef are essentially the exact same thing. They are both "cured" by brining in pickling spices (among a few other things). The difference is really that pastrami, after curing, is smoked with a crust of crushed pepper and coriander whereas the corned beef is simply boiled.

I'm not sure there is a difference between "corning" and "brining"... except for maybe the pickling spices.

You mean do you have time to make a pastrami for this sunday? You should. The recipe I have says it simply stays in the brine for 3 days. (Corned beef is five)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #24
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
Pastrami and corned beef are essentially the exact same thing. They are both "cured" by brining in pickling spices (among a few other things). The difference is really that pastrami, after curing, is smoked with a crust of crushed pepper and coriander whereas the corned beef is simply boiled.

I'm not sure there is a difference between "corning" and "brining"... except for maybe the pickling spices.

You mean do you have time to make a pastrami for this sunday? You should. The recipe I have says it simply stays in the brine for 3 days. (Corned beef is five)
Yeah, I wanted to know if I started brining it tonight if it would be ready for the smoker on Sunday (but I now realize that in order to boil/cool the brine it wouldn't go in the brine until tomorrow morning). I could wait a whole nuther week if needed. I can boil the corned beef on a weeknight (like Wednesday the 16th). Looking around the 'net I've seen brining times from 3 days to 3 weeks (using similar methods). Some say poke holes all through it, some don't.

I have a foodsaver, would putting it in bag and pulling vacuum on it speed the process?
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #25
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

I would think so but can't answer for sure as I've never used a vacuum sealer like that.

Quote:

Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #26
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The length of the brining depends on how thick the cut is. Also, keep some of your liquid out of the boil, chill it in the sink (kinda like you're cooling the wort) then add ice to make up the water difference. You'll be done in an hour.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #27
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

solid point... it's not like beer where you need to sanitize everything. The salt will pretty much handle any nasties that aren't supposed to be there.

Quote:

Old 03-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #28
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
Careful.... It is a forum on HBT for a reason. Curing has addictive qualities similar to brewing. Be warned!!!
If not even more so. I can go and easily buy really good beer but getting really good bbq/sausage/charcuterie locally just doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
What is the difference between corning and brining? Contact time? I guess I thought pastrami and corned beef were 'cured' the same way just cooked differently.
Technically corning and brining are very similar but corning usually has pink salt in it to cure the meat. Corning is also a much longer process since you are not just flavoring but actually curing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I have a foodsaver, would putting it in bag and pulling vacuum on it speed the process?
I would NOT vac seal it. You are not marinating it where you would want as much sucked into the meat as possible. You want to give the osmosis process time to work and do it thing and you don't want it to pull too much into the meat. Hope that makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #29
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 180 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I used my vacuum sealer when I made bacon, worked like a charm. Rub the cure into the pork belly, pop it into the bag, suck out all the air, seal it up and you are good to go. Corning is essentially the same process, it should work.

PTN

Alcohol!
Because no-one ever started a great story with, "I was just finishing a lovely salad when..."

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #30
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

I couldn't find any pink salt/insta-cure so it looks like homemade corned beef for St. Paddy's day ain't gonna happen. I'm still gonna order the stuff online and make pastrami though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722
Technically corning and brining are very similar but corning usually has pink salt in it to cure the meat. Corning is also a much longer process since you are not just flavoring but actually curing.
That might explain the huge differences in contact times I've seen, as low as 3 days and as much as 3 weeks. Does this mean that a brisket that has 'cured' for only 3-5 days isn't truly 'corned' beef (even if it had pink salt) but just a brined/boiled brisket?

Quick Reply