Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Who's making their own corned beef for St. Patty's?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cape Brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norton, MA
Posts: 10,220
Liked 405 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Who's making their own corned beef for St. Patty's?

(raising my hand)

I gotta find a nice brisket in the next few days.

__________________
Why the eff not... everyone else is starting a nano!!! I wanna!!! www.bogironbrewing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.
Cape Brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,890
Liked 3325 Times on 2062 Posts
Likes Given: 2832

Default

Every year, it's a tradition.

In my house, corned beef is done for 24 hours in a crock pot. Potatoes, carrots, and cabbage added near the end. (oops, slurp, a gland just squirted).

__________________
Hey goomba I love how you dance the rumba
But take some advice paisano learn-a how to mambo
If you're gonna be a square you ain't-a gonna go anywhere.
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
strat_thru_marshall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,679
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
(raising my hand)

I gotta find a nice brisket in the next few days.
that sounds good, mind sharing your recipe?
__________________
strat_thru_marshall is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
gunner65
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 844
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
that sounds good, mind sharing your recipe?
I have always followed the directions on the brisket and they always turn out great. YMMV.

We will be eating our this year as is tradition.
__________________

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

gunner65 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,961
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

(raises hand)

I'll be brining two different briskets: one using the recipe out of "Charcuterie", and the other from the homebrewchef

http://www.homebrewchef.com/StoutCur...ndCabbage.html

__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.
Hugh_Jass is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
mmb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 24,199
Liked 3156 Times on 3063 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Default

Making boiled dinner or corning your own brisket? There's a big difference.

We make boiled dinner more than just on St Patrick's Day and I've only brined a brisket for pastrami.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
(raises hand)

I'll be brining two different briskets: one using the recipe out of "Charcuterie", and the other from the homebrewchef

http://www.homebrewchef.com/StoutCur...ndCabbage.html
That looks GOOD! Thanks for the link!
__________________
White Dog Aleworks and Drafthouse
mmb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,961
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
Making boiled dinner or corning your own brisket? There's a big difference.

We make boiled dinner more than just on St Patrick's Day and I've only brined a brisket for pastrami.




That looks GOOD! Thanks for the link!
I've used several recipes from Sean. They're all solid.
__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.
Hugh_Jass is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Middletown, De
Posts: 35,966
Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

I was seriously considering it but then decided it wasn't worth it since I am the only one that would eat it.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong
dataz722 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cape Brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norton, MA
Posts: 10,220
Liked 405 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

I meant "corning your own brisket"... c'mon guys... it's the meat curing forum!

Yeah, I'm doing the same and taking the recipe right out of Chacuterie (my new bible).

I'm at work and will try to post the recipe in the next day or so Strat... I have a HBC meeting today so I'll be running around like a mad man all night.

__________________
Why the eff not... everyone else is starting a nano!!! I wanna!!! www.bogironbrewing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.
Cape Brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,961
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
I meant "corning your own brisket"... c'mon guys... it's the meat curing forum!

Yeah, I'm doing the same and taking the recipe right out of Chacuterie (my new bible).

I'm at work and will try to post the recipe in the next day or so Strat... I have a HBC meeting today so I'll be running around like a mad man all night.
Already posted in another thread. Here's the recipe:

Brine:
1 gal water
2 c kosher salt
1/2 c sugar
1 oz pink salt (insta-cure or equivalent)
3 garlic cloves minced
2 T Pickling spice

5# brisket
2 T pickling spice



Pickling Spice:
2 T Black Peppercorns - toasted, then cracked
2 T mustard seed - toasted, then cracked
2 T coriander seeds- toasted, then cracked
2 T red pepper flakes
2 T Allspice berries
1 T ground mace
2 small cinnamon sticks crushed or broken into pieces
24 bay leaves crumbled
2 T whole cloves
1 T ground ginger

Combine brine ingredients in a pot large enough to hold the brisket comfortably. Simmer, stirring until salt and sugar are dissolved. Cool then refrigerate until chilled.

Place brisket in brine, keeping it submerged, refrigerate 5 days.

remove brisket, thoroughly rinse

Place in large pot. cover w/ enough water to cover brisket

Add remaining 2 T pickling spice, boil, reduce heat to simmer ~ 3 hrs or until fork tender.
__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.
Hugh_Jass is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
corned beef LKHA Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making 5 02-17-2011 11:01 PM
Any Input on this Beef Brisket Recipe?? Timboosh Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making 12 02-05-2011 02:41 AM
Fixing a mistake by making sausage? B0whunt3r Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making 4 01-28-2011 05:03 AM