The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > want to smoke meat, etiquette in a townhouse?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
rhoop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Default want to smoke meat, etiquette in a townhouse?

I live in a row style townhouse, and would like to get into smoking meat. Is there any way to do this without pissing off my neighbour's?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Pissing them off?! They will be begging you to invite them over for supper!

How hard can it be?

People Like This 
Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I doubt it would cause any problem, but I'd just let them know you're doing it. I don't think it would bother me.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
rhoop
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

How much smoke does it actually put out consistently?

Old 04-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They can put out a fair bit of smoke. However if it is really a problem you can use a fan or something to direct the smoke.

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by processhead View Post
Pissing them off?! They will be begging you to invite them over for supper!
This reminds me of ministerial school when I lived on the grounds of the seminary. My housemate and I were both serious foodies/cooks (in fact we catered a lot of student functions while there.)

We had three day weekends, so on Fridays, we'd whip up homemade baignets and some chicory coffee, then we'd drive 45 minutes or so to the Kansas City Farmer's market and load up on meat and produce...We even cultivated the friendship of this cajun who would come up every week with a refrigerated truck full of anything you can imagine...un cured hams, whole goats , pigs, lambs, and steaks..the freshest chickens you've ever tasted...Or we'd get some fresh buffalo meat...

We'd bring it home and break out the rubs and marianades and get everything ready... Then on Saturdays, year round we'd load up my coleman smoker (and sometimes borrow a neighbors and stack two on top of each other), load it up with Hickory, apple juice and sometimes cherry or apple wood if we could get some.

If the weather was nice we'd put our dining room table up on the lawn of our cottage, and study for the 10-12 hours the stuff needed to smoke. And blast Reggae or the great KC NPR music programming out our window.

Then as it got towards dinner time, imagine this, we'd suddenly be surrounded by other students, retreat people, visiting ministers, and the weekend security people (who always came "thinking the place was on fire," even after we fed them the first time.)

When we'd double stack the smoker, they'd say they came to see if we elected the next "pope" yet.

We'd end up making several pounds of Garlic Mashed potatos, & roasted corn. Smetimes we'd break out our homemade potato chips. One of our classmates from Cuba would bring over a big pot of black beans. Someone would bring tortillas or a sheet cake and we'd feast hardy....

Or Bill would make a couple of pies or I'd do a hot cobbler for dessert instead.

The only thing we couldn't officially have on the grounds was booze...though occasionally the granddaughter of the founder of Unity, Rosemary Fillmore would drive up (she was in her 70's and lived behind our cottage) with a couple of bottles of wine...Hey how could we say no to that?

Then all the leftovers would be our meals for the rest of the week. All the goodies brought, plus the leftover meat...we'd do smoked chicken enchiladas, or soup with the carcasses, pull the pork, and pretty much not cook too dard the rest of the week.

Needless to say we were the most popular residence on campus. People would even stop by on Friday mornings knowing we'd have baignets or something going for breakfast.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 04-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
mrmcdowe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Try an electric smoker like a bradley. It does not give off that much smoke and can then be put in a closet neatly when not in use. I have a nice offset smoker and a bradley and it works well when you want to set and forget something...

Old 04-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Revvy is a priest?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig View Post
Revvy is a priest?
No, I'm a minister. And where do you think "Revvy" comes from? You never noticed my sigline?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Smokers actually put out very little nearly invisible smoke when running as they should. If you are producing think white or dark smoke then something is wrong. If you can grill without bothering anyone then smoking will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Quick Reply