Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Stumps Clone build underway

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #21
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Well, it's 6/13 and I'm back home in PA, with a smoker in tow. The last few bits when pretty quickly, so there may be some holes in the picture timeline. There are some cool tricks that I forgot to take pictures of, but will get those later on. Anyway, without further ado...

Frame and smoker are painted. The springs are on, the axle is mounted, and the tires are on. You can see the coal chute in the background. It's also all welded up and painted.

Here is an empty firebox.

First layer of firebrick is in. The white bricks in the corners are a soft brick. I cut it with a hacksaw. These are there just to take up the space in the corners, to try to keep the firebricks from moving around.

And the top layer is installed. We ran out of the soft brick, so the top layer has a piece in each corner, but it's only half the height of the final firebrick layer. Holds them in place no problem.

The decking has been installed on the platform at this point. There are D rings welded in around the outside of the platform so that they can be used for tiedowns. In front of this platform is the propane bottle holders. I didn't have any up there with me, so these remained empty for the trip home. Also in this picture, the last time we saw the handle for the third wheel.

The dampers are on top of the stacks. They have some repurposed hairpins that secure them when under tow. The hairpins came from my camlock fittings for the brew setup.

The firebox has been buttoned up. Now that's alot of toggle clamps! The trained eye may notice a couple of empty bolt holes. We miss counted by 5. Picking them up on the way home tonight to finish it off.

Here's a shot from the back. We installed some nice LED lights, so they should be pretty bright. The fenders are on, and the thermometer is installed. I used a Tel-Tru thermo, which I thought was fitting.

It's tough to see, but the bottom of the face says "Rochester, NY". Since we made the whole rig in Rochester, NY, I thought it was a nice touch!

Bikerack and the Bike have been mounted. This ended up towing pretty well. The bike did bounce a decent amount, but it made it home unscathed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #22
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The brew rig is mounted and securely in place. It didn't move at all on the way home.

Getting packed up for the trip back home. Can't believe 3 weeks went by that fast.

Good thing I could fit most of the stuff INSIDE the pots. Allowed for the big stuff to still have a place in the back of the car, and for the dog to have the full backseat to himself.

Overall shot of the fully loaded trailer. It wasn't too long, and will be even shorter minus the bike rack.

It's pretty hard to see in this picture, but this is the door handle. Here's the background. Every summer my wife and I throw a "Caveman BBQ", no talking (only pointing and grunting allowed), no utensils (eat with your hands), no napkins (use your shirt!). Last year, it was our 5th annual BBQ, so I had T-shirts made up that have "Caveman BBQ" in what looks like stone block that has been chisled out, with Captian Caveman at the end of it. So, Dad took an old bat, put this really nasty looking wheel in the grinder, and went to town. The bat now looks like it's a hand carved club. Once I get a coat or two of stain, and some laquer on it, it'll have a permanent home on the door.

And here is Dad and I, in front of this beast. It was a blast being able to spend time with him, and learn all that I could from him. I enjoyed welding, and am currently looking for a used one I can add to my stable of tools. More of a problem would be where to fit it in my garage now. But we'll find a way.

There was one thing we weren't able to finish up before I left. We picked up a big electrical box to house the Stoker unit and a wireless router. Just ran out of time to mount it, but I wasn't sure where I wanted to do that anyway. So once I play around with it, we can mount it over the July 4th weekend (when I'll be back up there). It's really more of a rain shield for the units for an overnight cook. Tonight I need to give it a test fire, also ran out of time to do that up in Rochester. Sure we could have done it, but I wouldn't have gotten home until super late sunday. SWMBO has been pretty good with the fact that I was gone for 3 weeks (and took the dog mind you), didn't want to make her wait any longer.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #23
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

WOW!

Just wow!!

That thing is just incredible!

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #24
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks! I am pretty happy with it, and it was a blast to build. Was really cool at the end seeing everything come together.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:30 AM   #25
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

So the test burn/seasoning has been going extremely well tonight.

Now, I just need to figure out what to smoke this weekend to break it in! I'm thinking "pig candy" to go along with something else. What, I'm not sure. Perhaps a brisket??

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 06-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #26
Behemoth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's one Bad Azz Rig you got there sir. Its cool that you spent time with your Pop building that beast. I'm sure it was built with alot of blood, sweat and tears. Job well done
I myself have thought of going the Homebuilt route for a smoker(currently have an old 125 gallon air comp tank taking up too much space in the garage). But with the garden and family (and Brewin) I just threw down some cash and bought a nice Propane fired Masterbuilt XL to get the job done.
Traditionalists may frown but I'm sure it'll make nice Q'ue.

"Don’t be afraid to let your freak-flag fly and put the “mental” in “experimental”.
-Sam Calagione

Old 07-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #27
jgourd
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Subscribed. This is way cool!

Old 07-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #28
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

thanks! We have a few mods we'll be making to it this weekend, but otherwise it's pretty much finished. I'll have more pics of it's big cook this weekend, and how the probes go in/out of the chamber.

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 07-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #29
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3141 Times on 1962 Posts
Likes Given: 2659

Great build thread. You suck, and you suck, and I want to learn to weld you suck. Godddammmmnitttt.. Suckola. I want to do what you did.

I feel better. Thanks and carry on folks.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #30
toolboxdiver
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

AWESOME Build wish I had the room for a tow behind rig, one day I hope

Quick Reply