Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Stumps Clone build underway

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
JetSmooth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I . . . . I. . . . . uh . . . .

I'll be in my bunk.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Marquez Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsmooth View Post

I . . . . I. . . . . Uh . . . .

I'll be in my bunk.
hahaha

Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 79

this build has been alot of fun. One of the main goals was to be able to cook 35-40 racks of baby back ribs in one shot. I have a big bbq coming up where we do this many, and I had been doing it in 4 hour shifts on my little brinkman. That gets old when you have to do it around the clock, and add fuel every 45 min. Theoretically, I won't have to do that anymore!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Here is a link to my new single tier sculpture. This is what will be riding in the front of the smoker. For tailgating/camping, all of the brewing stuff is easily stripped off.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-n...ew-rig-247214/

Old 06-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

We're getting down to smaller stuff to get done. Between monday and tuesday, we got some more accomplished.

Last night we got the smoker door hung. Before we could do that, we needed to screw down the gasket material. Then get it lined up, hinges welded, and then the latches. Also have a coupler for my thermo that is coming shortly. On the outside it's a 1/2" female fitting, on the backside it's a 1/2" male threaded into the female. So the thermo will screw in on the front and the end of the termo will sit nicely between the two racks.

man these latches are heavy duty. Really sucks in the door, and gets a good seal on the gasket.

When we opened the door to see if it swung freely, we noticed that it was hitting on the corner of the trailer, and making it stop a little over 90 degrees. So we cut the corner off the trailer, and will be welding in a stop so it can't cam up on the corner that is there. Going to add a little rubber bumper as well so it doesn't chew up the paint.

Everything is now back in the smoker, deflectors and grates.

Here is the grease catch pan and assembly. The pan is not designed to travel here, hence no stops or pins/clamps holding it in place. Also below that is a reciever for the bike rack. yes, I wanted to be able to take the bikes with us as well.

Firebox is bolted on, and the firebox door is mounted. Have a piece of 2" nipple for the 2" ball valve that arrived yesterday. Also have the smoke stacks welded in place.

Have another fitting welded in place in the rear of the smoker, same as the front door. This is so that we can feed the probe wires for the Stoker unit (digital temp controller). Will make for a nice clean look.

Brew rig platform is welded into place, with additional supports for the decking. Remember, I won't be brewing beer while this is mounted to the trailer. Will only be using it as a 3 burner stove, so it won't see much weight on it at all. When brewing beer, the rig will be on solid ground, as 3 15 gallon pots are quite heavy.

The dogs weren't the only ones dieing of the heat yesterday! That lake (Lake Ontario) is still a brisk 65'ish. Wasn't in for long, that's for sure.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
android
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

damn, that's a sweet smoker! can't wait to see the finished product.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #17
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
damn, that's a sweet smoker! can't wait to see the finished product.
I can't wait for you to invite us all up for the inagural BBQ.

HINT HINT HINT!!!

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #18
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
I can't wait for you to invite us all up for the inagural BBQ.

HINT HINT HINT!!!
well, this smoker was made primarly for my "Caveman BBQ", which is right after the 4th of July. I make 35-40 racks of baby back ribs, 5 bags of salt potatoes, and some corn on the cob.

When the food hits the table:

1) not talking! Only pointing and Grunting is allowed.
2) no utensils, no napkins etc
3) if you are caught talking, whatever is closest to the person that caught you talking is getting chucked in your general direction.

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 06-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
well, this smoker was made primarly for my "Caveman BBQ", which is right after the 4th of July. I make 35-40 racks of baby back ribs, 5 bags of salt potatoes, and some corn on the cob.

When the food hits the table:

1) not talking! Only pointing and Grunting is allowed.
2) no utensils, no napkins etc
3) if you are caught talking, whatever is closest to the person that caught you talking is getting chucked in your general direction.
You're kiddding! That sounds so awesome!

I make caveman steaks on my Big Green Egg. I get the thing up to 700+ degree and toss the meat straight onto the coals for 60 seconds a side, flipped by hand (weldgers glove). Then pull them out and close the Egg to bring the temp back down to 400 before putting them back on to cook to temp.

They get totally black and crispy but can be rare on the inside. Any fat on the edges is like candy.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #20
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

This is going to be the 6th year. I even had T-shirts made last year. Says Caveman BBQ on it, in the style of chisled out stone, with Captain Caveman standing on the end holding his club!

In fact, we have something like that planned for the door handle. Going to try to chew up a baseball bat to look like a caveman club.

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Quick Reply