Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Some Dry Cured Chorizo!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
bratrules
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Some Dry Cured Chorizo!!

I finally got around to making some dry cured chorizo. and man did this stuff come out good so good that i wanted to show it off!!
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That looks awesome, do you have a recipe for it?

Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
bratrules
Recipes 

Yeah sure!!! all it is smoked paprika, sea salt, fresh black pepper, dry oregano, a pinch of dextrose, cure#2, and some bactoferm f-lc. as for how much i add of each i only measured the bactoferm f-lc which was 1/2 teaspoon and the cure#2 which was 3/4 teaspoon. for 3 pounds of meat!! the rest of the stuff i just eyeballed. and then i just fermented it for 30 hours around 75 degrees. then dry it for 3 weeks at 55-60 degrees and 75-80% humidity.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 09-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Where did you dry it at? Could it be hung in the basement?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #5
bratrules
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
Where did you dry it at? Could it be hung in the basement?
Am sure you can as long it doesn't get to hot keep it around 55-60 and try to get at least 75% humidity. i dry mine in a cheap mini fridge that was given to me and is to small to ferment my brew in. so i made a curing chamber.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #6
SaccharoVices
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Chorizo looks delicious- I really like the large diameter fat chunks++ I just got a 10mm disc for my grinder to be able to do the fat separately from the meat. Was yours hand chopped? That is probably the best way to do an authentic style sausage, but the electric grinder is so helpful. I have been doing pork belly bacon quite a bit (salt, cure #1, brown sugar, black pepper, thyme, juniper berries) and am trying to do some hams prosciutto style- i have no idea how they might turn out- a year is a long time to wait to find out!

Did you have any mold growth (the unwanted kind)? The first (and only) fermented sausage that i tried got some icky stuff on it, i kept washing it with vinegar and everclear- still turned out OK.

beer-meat-001.jpg   beer-meat-002.jpg  

Old 09-14-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
bratrules
Recipes 

Nice setup SaccharoVices!! and yes i did most of the chopping by hand but i did put like about a pound through the grinder just to hold everything together better. As for mold i just been getting the good stuff all white and it does add i bit of flavor. so i wont get the bad stuff i clean the hell out of everything with star-san you got to love that stuff!!! and you also need airflow a small computer fan with the door cracked a bit works wonders!! Here is a pic of my latest batch.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
SaccharoVices
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Holy Heaven that looks good! FWIW I have been getting my casings and supplies from sausagemaker.com - their casings are the best - they are often in lengths of 20 feet or more, which makes for an impressive string.i tried the LEM brand and they would make a good football! but way too tough for a fine sausage, and are usually very short. sm.com also has 5# pails of the pink salts for cheap cheap. i got some of the mold culture but haven't tried it yet, been covered up with other chores and projects. What size casing are you using for the chorizo? you get a lot of shrinkage i have found, so starting big is a good idea.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Rob_B
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Damn those look tasty! And SaccharoVices, those hams look awesome.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
bratrules
Recipes 

Am using 38-40 hog casings they do get a little dry but i usually wont eat the casing just peel them away!! i actually want to order some beef middles to start stuffing in those am sure they will take longer to dry out but what the hell am in no hurry.

Quick Reply