The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > So I'm thinking Dried cured beef....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default So I'm thinking Dried cured beef....

Anyone ever give it a go? Along the lines of bresola or maybe smoked like cecina.....Think I'm going to start one tonight or tomorrow ....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I have rhulman and polcyn's Charcutrie on my lap as we speak, plus in three seperate tabs, I have Punk Domestics, wrightfood charcuterie, and ruhlman.com , I was just reading through some cured beer recipes.

The Asian grocery where I buy pork belly has some extremely thin slices of some sort there i think sirloin, to use with pho actually, nearly paper thin, I was actually thinking of curing those as is and hanging them like the picture of the Copa on the wrightfood blog.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

I'll have to check them out.
Right now I'm thinking of going super KISS with this and simply using salt, pepper, garlic and pecan smoke

Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
milojones
Recipes 

Last year I built a smokehouse using one by ones and some concrete board And I put a lot of holes in it so that cold here would blow through and help dry the meat.

I also used fruit-wood-chips and a small Chimenea type ashtray that I turned into a small fireplace and started small fires inside to smoke out the entire smokehouse with multiple types of fruit tree would

I did that a few times a day every day for a week then once a day every other day for a week and then once every three days for two weeks and that was really good

Smoked large pork loin cuts that I salted for a few days prior to hanging em in the smoker

Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

ok So here we go . . . Was out running around and picked up some plastic sheeting and a humidifier (10x15 roll of 3.5 mil). Assembled myself a small curing "room" in the corner of the basement since I was having problems keeping my humidity at 60%

small 3x5 area plastic lined on 2 sides cement block on the other 2... right where I have the ham hanging (no thats not the humidifier)

grabbed a 3lbs Eye of Round while I was out

gave it a final trim the salted it up and seasoned with sugar, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, fresh crushed juniper and fresh ground pepper

tossed it in a vacuum bag for a week

gonna let it sit for a week then drain and resalt for another week ... more photos to come next Fridayish

Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

I wish I had posted the write up I'm working on before you ran out and got all that stuff. I've come up with a unique curing chamber idea, and was waiting for something to come in from Amazon before I put the thread together. I hope you didn't spend a lot on the humidifier buddy, my design uses a desk top one from walgreens that cost about 20 bucks.

I was at a Mexican Bodega today looking for real Spanish paprika, and found some nice sliced thinly sliced fatty beef labeled "lomo" meat, that I'm going to cure and hand with my pancetta.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I wish I had posted the write up I'm working on before you ran out and got all that stuff. I've come up with a unique curing chamber idea, and was waiting for something to come in from Amazon before I put the thread together. I hope you didn't spend a lot on the humidifier buddy, my design uses a desk top one from walgreens that cost about 20 bucks.
nope just got a cheep $20 one cuz I plan on switching to a fridge in the future. The plastic was $10. Had extra timers laying around (to cycle the humidifier). Think the most expensive party was the fresh herbs and meat
Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

quick update... for the price of $30 my new "curing room" is holding at 65degrees and 65% humidity NP Have the humidifier cycling on/off every 30 minutes and will be hanging a pancetta later today

People Like This 
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

bresola is done curring so I figured I'd post a update...

rinsed down, patted dry, brought up to room temp, tied and ready to hang....

Hanging in The Meat Corner... humidity is a bit low today (can only get it to 55% atm) BUT it is a whopping 2 degrees out at the time of posting as well.....

Thinking I may have to take advantage of the couple cool months I have yet and get a salami or 2 and some peperoni going.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post

Thinking I may have to take advantage of the couple cool months I have yet and get a salami or 2 and some peperoni going.
Yeah I came upon a saying on one of the charcuterie websites that says you should only cure meats in months that have an "r" in it.

I just made 5 pounds of Spanish Chorizo today.

My cure chamber is getting crowded. I've got 2 panchetta, 2 duck prosciutto and a couple other things in there as well.

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 

Quick Reply