Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Smoking with a Weber grill...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melana View Post
GF are you new to charcoal fire control? If you aren't, great... jump right in! If you are unsure how your grill will react to zone cooking I'd do a test run of chicken thighs (they're forgiving and cheap) to dial in your process.
Yes, I think so. I've been grilling a while & use indirect heat quite a bit, but for smoking, I'm a n00b. I made some mistakes last time I smoked some ribs, wasn't happy with the results & decided not to make the same mistakes twice.

I'll have to dial it in using the bottom vent, last time I used the top vent cuz I didn't know any better & it was easier to reach. Maybe I can rig up a little extension handle for the bottom vent to make it easier. I also used too much wood (mesquite) & too much charcoal. Those ribs had a pretty harsh taste & I aim to avoid that in the future.

I like the chicken thighs idea to dial it in, maybe not as cheap as the toast method, but certainly much more tasty & fun. The trick for me is going to be finding the time to do so in the next couple of weeks.
Regards, GF.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3621 Times on 2232 Posts
Likes Given: 3124

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
Yes, I think so. I've been grilling a while & use indirect heat quite a bit, but for smoking, I'm a n00b. I made some mistakes last time I smoked some ribs, wasn't happy with the results & decided not to make the same mistakes twice.

I'll have to dial it in using the bottom vent, last time I used the top vent cuz I didn't know any better & it was easier to reach. Maybe I can rig up a little extension handle for the bottom vent to make it easier. I also used too much wood (mesquite) & too much charcoal. Those ribs had a pretty harsh taste & I aim to avoid that in the future.

I like the chicken thighs idea to dial it in, maybe not as cheap as the toast method, but certainly much more tasty & fun. The trick for me is going to be finding the time to do so in the next couple of weeks.
Regards, GF.
The lump coal that I use gives me a lot of smoke character without any additional wood at all. For ribs, I don't add any. Pork butts and large pieces like that get the wood.

If you buy full racks of ribs, you can roll them in a circle and stick a wooden (or metal) skewer through it. Much easier than a rib rack. and far better than laying flat. I flip once half way through.

gratus fermentatio Likes This 
Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I roll ribs like that on my Weber smokey mountain also,works great.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #14
MikePote
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I smoke on my 22.5 weber. I also have the hinged grate which is a must. The charcoal holders you just bought are cool and someday I will impulse buy them but have had great success without them. Just like you thought, I use a drip pan pretty much with everything. For me it helps hold the coals in place and I feel like it deflects heat and without it the bottom of my meat would get overcooked while with it I get more even cooking. This could be completely wrong but if it ain't broke don't fix it. I drilled a little hole and put in a thermometer. Highly recommended.

Somebody said something about using the bottom vent to adjust temp. This is good advice. Closing off the top builds soot faster. My buddy who uses the top vent has loads of soot built up on the top of his lid and it falls on to everything he makes.

Somebody else mentioned heat control being difficult. Although my heat tends to fluctuate a little bit my father who also smokes on his webers seem to be able to keep it dead on. I suck at consistently tending the grill while he can watch it for hours Probably has more to do with that than anything.

You will love smoking on the weber

Old 11-15-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 269

I smoke on my Webber.

I have a hinged grate and and the metal charcoal retainers that hook into the bottom grate. I build my fire on one side and use place a cast iron sauce pan with dry chips or sawdust on top of the coals, I sometimes use some foil to make sure the meat closest to the fire doesn't get too warm.

I lay the probe of a thermometer on top the meat and control my temp by opening and closing the vents as needed. I can maintain my temp pretty well-as cool or as hot as I want it. After the coals burn down a bit I shift the pan to one side on top of the coals and add coals to the other and continue to do this during the time that I cook.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
Zuljin
16%er

Recipes 

Liked 3532 Times on 3237 Posts
Likes Given: 466

The bins and the hinged grate are great.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
JBOGAN
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 28

IMO i find the baskets are okay with normal grilling but for smoking indirect i still fill the chimney starter and dump the coals on one side.Weber says to put a basket on each side but i found that it is to much heat and dries out the meat even with a water filled drip pan in the center.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 269

I use what Webber calls charcoal "rails" to keep the coals off to one side. They clip into the bottom coal grate. What I like about them is that you can move them depending on how big of a coal base you want. They run about $9 for two, but I usually only build the fire on one side. You can order them from Webber, but I think I got mine at Ace Hardware

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
Melana
Up to no good....

Recipes 

Liked 1479 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 932

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT
I use what Webber calls charcoal "rails" to keep the coals off to one side. They clip into the bottom coal grate. What I like about them is that you can move them depending on how big of a coal base you want. They run about $9 for two, but I usually only build the fire on one side. You can order them from Webber, but I think I got mine at Ace Hardware
Cool pic!

Old 11-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3621 Times on 2232 Posts
Likes Given: 3124

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post

Home Depot sells the stainless charcoal holderss (same ones that come with the Weber Performer). The advantage here is that 1) you can move it if desired, and 2) you can occasionally grab the bin with your tongs and shake out ash. I think they are about $7 each.

Quick Reply