The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Smoker Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #31
frailn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiochiro3 View Post
I started in a Weber kettle, and still use it quite often -- and it works great.
+1 on the Weber Kettle. It's a great way to get started without breaking the bank. You can get used ones at garage sales or craigslist pretty cheap since they are a dime a dozen.

I put an aluminum pan in the middle, fill it with water a beer or some apple cider vinegar. Or even beans! Then create a semi circle of charcoal briquets around the around edge of the kettle. Two wide and two deep. You can either place chunks of wood or wood chips on top of the ring. Then, light 6-8 briquettes on one side of the ring and let her get up to temp. Think of it like lighting a fuse that slowly burns around the circle.

Keep the bottom vents closed, and top vent on the lid open.

Did this yesterday on a rack of ribs - it held steady between 225 - 250 with plenty of smoke for hours.

It's called the "modified minion" method.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #32
BenRuss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

That's brilliant!! Thanks for the tip. I saw this the other day and think it might be the way to start! They have a Bradley version as well that I think might be a little heavier weight.

image-4283755507.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply