Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Smoker Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #21
BenRuss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Ok, so the deal is that I am living in a new build home that we had plumbed for an external NG connection because I have a new NG gas grill. (Birthday present) I cook on it quite a bit but have always been a "jack it to 11" and sear steaks, dogs and burgers kind of griller. I tried to smoke a roast and the result, using my gas grill was so good, I started to wonder if I could do the same thing with Ribs, Butts, sausage, beans etc. I want to ADD a dedicated smoker to my arsenal but don't want to go to the $1000 BGE but would also like something that works well.
I brew beer, bake bread and bagels, restore vintage sewing machines and furniture and certainly don't mind looking after the smoker, but could be persuaded to set-it-and-forget-it. I live in Canada and the temperature ranges from -20c in Winter to +30c in the summer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #22
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1369 Times on 1271 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I just saw this. I have no idea about the quality. Seems like a decent price.

Edit: There's a brown one at Amazon for $311, free shipping with Prime. Not sure if that counts for Canada.

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Old 04-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 75

You know, I was thinking about this thread today while in Lowes for something else. They had a Chargriller kamodo cooker (think BGE) for $300. No idea how good it is.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
redshift76
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfess1 View Post
You know, I was thinking about this thread today while in Lowes for something else. They had a Chargriller kamodo cooker (think BGE) for $300. No idea how good it is.
Picked one up @ Menards a few months ago for $250. Love it so far.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #25
SmokeNbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRuss View Post
Ok, so the deal is that I am living in a new build home that we had plumbed for an external NG connection because I have a new NG gas grill. (Birthday present) I cook on it quite a bit but have always been a "jack it to 11" and sear steaks, dogs and burgers kind of griller. I tried to smoke a roast and the result, using my gas grill was so good, I started to wonder if I could do the same thing with Ribs, Butts, sausage, beans etc. I want to ADD a dedicated smoker to my arsenal but don't want to go to the $1000 BGE but would also like something that works well.
I brew beer, bake bread and bagels, restore vintage sewing machines and furniture and certainly don't mind looking after the smoker, but could be persuaded to set-it-and-forget-it. I live in Canada and the temperature ranges from -20c in Winter to +30c in the summer.
Like your other roast, a pork butt wouldnt be a problem indirect on your grill. Theyll take a beating. Ribs are a bit of problem tho even with the 3-2-1. Not to mention its difficult to the same smoke quality into the meat as you can with a smoker. They're just different.

Get you any LP smoker you want and drill the orifice. I've got a BTU/hr sizing chart for bit size if you want it. My burner was 15k and I drilled it for 30k (@ 7" wc...gives me headroom for winter smoking)

Old 04-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #26
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yes, I was at Home Depot and they have ones shaped like kegs and I saw the Chargriller as well. I think because of the weight, they are about 600-700 CND. At least the one at Lowes was. It's fine, I am going to do another eye of round tomorrow for sandwiches at my daughters birthday and absolutely make it the best thing my wife ever tasted. I am then going to declare what a BBQ star I could be if I had a smoker to add to my gas grill and see if she bites! They have a nice smoker or two at Lowes, so I will see what happens. I have a nice coffee, cumin, Corriander, etc, etc dry rub for this one and I am really going to take my time. Keep my eyes on the price, so to speak.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #27
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have read many good reviews of the chargriller kamado. It runs well at a broad range of temperatures just like a BGE allowing you to grill, bake, and smoke. It also has the ability to run for long periods of time unattended. I was looking at one the other day at Lowes and it appears to be pretty well built. If you don't want to build a UDS and stay in the $300-350 or less range it this is without a doubt an excellent unit to consider. If you pick one up get a pizza stone. I have drooled over pics of pizza that have come off of these several times.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #28
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Hey everyone, the roast is going well. Started at 8:00am and have been able to regulate the temp way Better with the new ceramic briquettes. Still not a lot of smoke but with the rib, low and slow and the time, this should be awesome. Currently at 130 internal on my way to 140, then rest to a temp my in-laws will eat. I will keep you posted.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #29
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Another smoking success. Still not generating a lot of smoke but did get a ring and the BBQ was easier to work with. Going to start working on the wife for a smoker.

image-3221671551.jpg   image-1865621942.jpg  

Old 04-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #30
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That looks mighty tasty.

Quick Reply