Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Smoke and cheese combos

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Butcher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Smoke and cheese combos

With so much family gatherings going on this time of year I have been smoking cheeses. I haven't been too impressed with hickory smoke. I smoked cheddar variations and I don't think I will bother using hickory again. Half alder and half apple turned out awesome with swiss cheese. I don't even really like swiss cheese and this was awesome. What does everyone prefer to use for smoke and cheese?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Hickory is easy to overdue, I think. Cheddar would be my only choice for hickory. Stay far away from mesquite in my opinion. You might be on the right track with fruit woods. Apple and cherry are easy enough to come by commercially. I have heard the wood from a Bradford Pear is nearly the same as a regular pear fruit tree. Those trees are a dime a dozen when broken by ice or wind. I haven't tried it yet though.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 AM   #3
thrstyunderwater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had alot of luck with tillamuck cheddar and apple. Cold smoked of course.

Quick Reply