Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Sausage Casings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #11
madbaldman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
collagen is like paper and will tear. Buy some and find out. It's cheap and comes in a tube, looks great, works like sh1t.
Collagen is stronger than hog casings from what I've seen. I first started using collagen because I figured I'd be clumsy my first time making sausage and I wanted a forgiving casing that wouldn't burst so easy. Worked great. Only thing I don't like about it is you can't twist to form links. You have to tie them off with string or hog rings. Big PITA that outweighs the benefits, so it's hog casing for me now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3683 Times on 2268 Posts
Likes Given: 3186

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
Collagen is stronger than hog casings from what I've seen. I first started using collagen because I figured I'd be clumsy my first time making sausage and I wanted a forgiving casing that wouldn't burst so easy. Worked great. Only thing I don't like about it is you can't twist to form links. You have to tie them off with string or hog rings. Big PITA that outweighs the benefits, so it's hog casing for me now.
This is exactly the problem I had with them. Twisting always tears the casing. In my way of thinking this makes them less strong. Anyway, I'll never use them (collagen) again.

Natural casings can burst also, but if they are soaked overnight it doesn't happen much.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
AlligatorCadaver
Recipes 

Quote:
How are you stuffing?
Well until I get some extra money to put down on a stuffer, I was planning on just using a pastry stuffer that i have unused around the house. I'm not too sure if it would actually work but I figure I'd give it a shot.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
This is exactly the problem I had with them. Twisting always tears the casing. In my way of thinking this makes them less strong. Anyway, I'll never use them (collagen) again.

Natural casings can burst also, but if they are soaked overnight it doesn't happen much.
Yeah, you can't twist collagen casings. I didn't know that when I ordered them but I'm glad I found out before I tried or it would have been a clinic in frustration. They are supposed to be stronger against bursting but it's not worth it IMHO.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #15
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlligatorCadaver View Post
Well until I get some extra money to put down on a stuffer, I was planning on just using a pastry stuffer that i have unused around the house. I'm not too sure if it would actually work but I figure I'd give it a shot.
A bag type pastry stuffer or a caulking gun type? Either way it's not going to be fun. Even if it works, you'll be constantly reloading.

Quick Reply