The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Sausage Casing Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
philrose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Sausage Casing Questions

I'm in the mood for sausages people!

My butcher offered to sell me some casings under the table, she pretty much told me to name my own price. I'll be in need of both natural and plant based casings.

Question one: How much do y'all think I should pay for each variety?

Question two: What's a good quantity to buy for storage?

Question three: Anyone have a good provider of sausage casings, either online or in Seattle, WA?

Thanks meatheads!

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Butcher and Packer is nice for online stuff. Collagen cases last for a long time. Natural casings can last a long time if they are salted and in the fridge. Casings are relatively cheap for the amount of sausages you can fill. Your butcher probably gets natural casings in 5 gallon buckets which fill thousands of pounds of meat... You can probably get them cheapest there- especially since theysaid name your price.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
_swede_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My local abbitoir charges $35 a hank for fresh hog casings, I store them in heavily salted water in an icecream pail in the beer kegerator.

Quick Reply